Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 74 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
Adobe Lightroom does a very good job with X-Trans!

A+
Right. So you are satisfied with a system that is, just like Pentax, limited. It's just limited in a different way. But it suits your needs, just like Pentax suits the needs of other people.

I could also ask, "Why are you limiting yourself to a system where only a handful of lenses are stabilized, when you can buy a Pentax and have all your lenses stabilized?" But why? We could list all the ways in which Pentax and Fuji systems are different, and some people will see Fuji as the "winner" and others will see Pentax as such.

01-08-2016, 10:20 PM - 6 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

BTW I understand that Pentax mirror and mount make it hard to get very fast lenses. The question is why then you'd invest in Pentax at all vs Fuji or Sony or even Leica mirrorless systems... And how do you guys manage in wide angle in low light?!

A+
My friend shoots Fuji alongside a Nikon D3 and he is very happy with it. I won't switch because...

A) I already have Pentax (inertia)
B) I am already satisfied with them (quality)
C) Switching is not going to make me a better photographer (reality)
01-08-2016, 10:30 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is important to note that fast wide angle lenses aren't without problems, for instance this image:

Leica Monochrom - Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 ASPH - ISO320 10s f/4

This image was shot with the Leica Summilux-m 21mm f/1.4 ASPH which has the rear element parked pretty close to the sensor, those lights on the pier caused some pretty bad flare (the worst of it was cropped out) that wouldn't have been so bad on an SLR with a longer flange. But because of the short back-focus lens/sensor reflections are a much bigger issue - especially with wide angle lenses. Vignetting also tends to be worse due to the increased incident angle of light from the rear element on wide lenses, photosites on current sensors only react to light hitting them dead-on, microlenses can only compensate so much.
01-08-2016, 11:04 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Fuji APS-C lenses are smaller, faster, and cheaper than Pentax ones
Ummmmm...yes, and so are many lenses made for FF mirrorless cameras (e.g. Leica); my Voigtlander 40/1.7 in M-mount would be a good example. I am not sure, but I think it may be the most compact lens I own that has its own focus helicoid and no, it is not a pancake. It also has excellent all-metal build, is decent optically and almost silly inexpensive. Remove the mirror box and long flange distance and lens length and diameter both decrease. The entire lens body of my Jupiter-8 50/2 in Contax/Kiev mount would fit in the throat of several of my 50/1.8 SLR lenses of the same vintage.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-08-2016 at 11:43 PM.
01-08-2016, 11:11 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a thread for fuji forums
01-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There are a few users on this site who bought into the Fuji system and who quit because of AF, usability, and other factors that made it a poor match. Notice I said system and not lenses. You must buy one to use the other. I am not saying it is a bad system, only that if it were clearly superior in all facets (optical excellence, build, AF, bulk, ergonomics/usability, flexibility, durability, and cost) the world would beat a path to their door. I don't believe that to be the case. Fuji is one choice among many and while they are competitive in their core market (consumer and enthusiast mirrorless), they are not for everybody.

Steve
01-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
Sounds like a thread for fuji forums
There is a Fuji forums?

Steve

01-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Well since I got K-3II and it's at least several months before FF, I want to see how I can complement my existing Pentax system to recreate my Fuji usage. I shoot landscapes and kids, so carry 12,14,16,18,23,27,32,35,56,60,90mm primes with Fuji, as well as a stationary 50-140mm f/2.8 for conference settings and a couple variable aperture zooms I don't really use.

Pentax has clearly more tele stuff, but Fuji will get a huge one soon too.

So all I wanted was a couple fast wide angle lenses, and Pentax had zero!

BTW I understand that Pentax mirror and mount make it hard to get very fast lenses. The question is why then you'd invest in Pentax at all vs Fuji or Sony or even Leica mirrorless systems... And how do you guys manage in wide angle in low light?!

A+
Tripods!!!!

Three of my cameras I cannot even shoot handheld even in bright light. I don't even carry 14 lenses when I have four formats with me. My film cameras I have owned for more than 10 years, some of my lenses longer than that. Why would I give up Pentax to have one faster lens that I would stop down anyways? With my Pentax I have shot ultra wide landscapes and rodeos, I am not sure how well the Fuji system would be for the latter. My friend who has a Fuji system also shoots with a D5 and a D7000 and F3, F4 and F5. He uses which system suits how he is travelling and what he is shooting. For my shooting I do not see how the faster lenses with the Fuji would be of any help in my photography, if i shot differently it might make a big difference.
01-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #24
Pentaxian

So,
1/ DA14/2.8 is not wide nor fast ?
2/ Samyang's wide fish-eyes and wide angle primes are not available in K mount ?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/samyang-prime-lenses-c114.html

Last edited by Zygonyx; 01-09-2016 at 08:27 AM.
01-09-2016, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
Lots of great feedback, thanks! I've meant to explore the question, there're other parameters than speed, but how many times I could reach out for 56mm f/1.2 late in the evening and get great shots -- worth pondering. However, Fuji is extremely sharp, and I get very magical look with Pentax which are different kind of fun.

BTW here's Fuji forums, quite similar in spirit: fujix-forum.com.

A+
01-09-2016, 01:47 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guys -- I know it will hurt your feelings, but truth is important.
Why should this hurt my feelings??
To be honest, when shooting handheld I prefer some weight in my hands. Handheld I always us the battery grip and like some "massive" lenses like the Tokina AT-X 2.8/28-70 as the walkaround combo.
01-09-2016, 01:55 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lotta money to pay for a 16Mp camera without IBIS, unfortunately.
01-09-2016, 04:11 AM - 3 Likes   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the question is what is important. Lenses can be smallest when they are close in focal length to the registration distance. For Fuji, that is 17.7mm, while for Pentax that is 45.46mm. So, wide angle lenses will tend to be smaller with Fuji (tough to compare totally due to the fact that Fuji makes their lenses a lot faster). On the telephoto side, Pentax lenses will tend to be smaller, although Fuji hasn't released many long primes. Even their macro lens is on the short side at just 60mm.

On the other hand, Fuji's 50-140mm f2.8 is 995 grams and 1600 dollars on Amazon, while the Pentax DA *50-135 is 685 grams and costs 845 on Amazon right now.

Pentax has tended to make lenses a little slower over time in order to limit their size. This may or may not be a problem. I, for instance, have never had a situation that I can recall where I wanted a 16mm f1.4 lens. I mainly shoot landscapes with such a wide angle and while such a lens will probably be sharper, it is probably more prone to flare than the DA 15 f4 is.

Anyway, I would just say that there are two different approaches. I would highly recommend, for example, the FA limiteds for their sharpness, small size and awesome build, but they aren't as fast as Fuji's primes (at least until we get the full frame camera to mount them on).

(prerequisite DA 15 limited shot)

Last edited by Rondec; 01-09-2016 at 04:17 AM.
01-09-2016, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
DA14/2.8 is not wide nor fast ?
not as wide, or as fast as a 10mm f/0.95.
01-09-2016, 06:25 AM   #30
Pentaxian

braver, are you fooling us?
You are comparing systems that cannot be compared: mirorrless vs reflex, aps-c vs the future 24x36mm.
So what is the purpose of doing it?

If you intend to get a compact system, you should keep using your aps-c mirrorless Fuji stuff.
If you intend to get a 24x36mm system, Just wait 3 months more and you'll have it.
Pentax is preparing new lenses to accompany the new dslr so be patient, the current lenses line is going to grow...