Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Discussion of Pentax versus other brands; FF versus APSC; Full frame too big and too expensive? Ok, do you realize that Canon sold more 5D mark III (big expensive FF) than Pentax sold K-5 and K-3 all together, or Fuji X-Pro1 and X-T1 all together (Small and cheap... heuuu not so cheap actually)?

01-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I am not sure if I agree with the notion that going with FF will make the set up larger to the point of being disadvantaged. Leica M9 feels just fine to me, not by any means too big.

The Leica M system is confined to primes, and it doesn't have any really long telephotos either. If you are going to confine your lens lineup to prime lens (sans long telephotos), then of course you can create a compact FF system (where system means: cameras and lenses). But once you start throwing in zooms, you're attempt to keep the system compact goes out the window. And given that Fuji is trying to be one of the "top three," they have no choice but to introduce zoom lenses.

Incidentally, if Ricoh/Pentax ever decide to make a larger sensor mirrorless system, expect it to be APS-C. And they'll do that for the same reason as Fuji.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
They're the least popular of the mirrorless brands (even Pentax outsells them) on PetaPixel's 2014 figures

Maybe so. But they also seem to be able sell their stuff at higher prices (i.e., larger margins) than the other brands. Moreover, I know three people shooting Fuji, and they seem to have bonded with their gear in ways I'm not seeing with Sony, Canon, and Nikon users. I'm skeptical, nonetheless, that Fuji can make it into the top three. They are definitely a niche brand. If you like your digital camera to be wrapped in a (mostly) analogue interface and/or you're really into to fast wide angle APS-C glass, then Fuji's a great brand for you. But if you're not into these things, Fuji doesn't seem quite so compelling.
01-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #18
osv
Veteran Member

"Mirrorless sales are now double compared to DSLRs [in these countries] and we’ve captured a large market share." interesting...

not seeing the big deal about fuji, they finally just got a 24mp camera, still no 4k video, it's like they are at least a year behind the competition.

is there a fuji mount version of the metabones e-mount to eos adapter? any 3rd-party hss-capable flashes, with rf support? i'd question buying into a platform that doesn't have enough market share to drive 3rd-party products, when you can get that somewhere else.
01-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Not mentioned in the interview:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/3...-increase.html

Bad news for film shooters

01-23-2016, 03:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
"Mirrorless sales are now double compared to DSLRs [in these countries] and we’ve captured a large market share." interesting...
Yes, indeed. But... which are these countries, specifically? It's not Japan, despite it being mentioned. It's not something specific for the Asian countries in general (where DSLR shipments are almost 2.5:1 compared to MILCs). Some outliers, perhaps? Thailand? Or... was it an estimate, similar to how they're estimating the ISO?

Anyway, that was a nice interview, it makes an interesting read - I can't wait for the others (some brands had a head start, but winter CP+ is coming).
01-23-2016, 04:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
CP+ is coming
Yes, good point, or Photokina 2016 in September , who knows what lenses will come :-)
01-23-2016, 05:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Sure, they will announce products as well (I'm not sure about Fuji, as they had a major announcement at CES - perhaps the 120mm macro?); but I'm talking about interviews here. When they're not just marketing blurb, they're worth reading IMO.