Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Basic Camera for Product Photography- Suggestions?

Hey there my Pentax friends, long time no see!

I'm looking to par-down my entire Pentax kit (K-01, K-30, 18-55, Rokinon 8, DA Limited 40, DA* 55, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 70-200 2.8) because I just don't use this stuff... only things that see use are my K-01 + 18-55 and hot shoe flashes + triggers. I run an ecommerce bussiness selling clothing online and am looking to purchase a camera (doesn't have to be Pentax and doesn't necessarily have to be a mirrorless or DSLR camera either) that meets these requirements.

- MUST have hot shoe flash option

and would be awesome if it could also:

- be able to shoot in the square 1:1 aspect ratio
- have option for wireless remote

Any and all suggestions, please throw out here.
I'm willing to spend ~$500+ if need be, but if I can get something for cheaper that's on-par quality-wise with my K-01 + 18-55 and meets the above requirements, that would be awesome. I just need a new workhorse camera. Added some example pictures of what I do below.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
02-09-2016, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
You have the right camera with the K-01 I think. I did some of the same work with it. Just buy either DA 35MM or DA 50MM for the work and you have a great set.

I used eye-film card to work with this.

---------- Post added 09-02-16 at 21:07 ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/review-news/eye-fi-pro-x2-hands-on-report.html?src=all
02-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You have the right camera with the K-01 I think. I did some of the same work with it. Just buy either DA 35MM or DA 50MM for the work and you have a great set.

I used eye-film card to work with this.

---------- Post added 09-02-16 at 21:07 ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/review-news/eye-fi-pro-x2-hands-on-report.html?src=all
I do love my K-01. The DA 35 and 50 are great lenses for the price, but I think I'd need something wider, was possibly thinking about the Tamron 17-55 2.8 or Sigma equivalent + keeping the K-01 and selling the rest.

I haven't been keeping up with the new offerings in the camera world, but I wouldn't mind going with an all-in-one smaller non-removable lens camera for the sake of simplicity and convince. That is, if one exists out there with the options. I'll be looking around.

And thank you for the suggestion on the Eye-Fi, I'll have to look into that!
02-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DA35 macro. If that's not wide enough for you, use your feet! (It's wide enough to handle the photos you posted above)

02-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

IMO, the K-S2 would be even better. Live view rules for product photography, and with the K-S2 you get a larger display that can be tilted or flipped for your convenience. Also, the K-S2's live view AF and zooming features are improved compared to the K-01. Plus, there's also the Wi-Fi remote control option

But all that aside, the 20-megapixel sensor without an AA filter will yield much clearer photos. Combine that with a nice prime lens like the DA 35mm or DA 50mm (as others mentioned) and you'll be all set!

Should fit right inside your budget, too.

Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Pentax K-S2 DSLR Camera (Body Only, Black) 11577 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
Banned

Didn't look in wireless for this, but I guess that for a one-camera-fits-all solution the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 would be great.
02-09-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The k-01 is just fine. What are you wanting to do that the k-01 does not? You might sell off the extra lenses and invest in a couple of good primes such as the 35mm macro or a 50mm macro depending on what distance you like to shoot at.

K-01 has a wireless remote available.
K-01 has a hot shoe.
No 1:1 but nothing I can think of has that except some point & shoots and they are just cropping which you can do on the computer just as well.

02-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro which I got for similar work, mostly plastic models etc. It's very good for that. I used the K5 on Av mode set to get a good DOF, like f8 or so. Plenty of ambient lighting and on 2sec timer to eliminate vibration. Remote trigger, and you're golden. I don't think you need a big wireless flash setup though that depends on what you're doing. Just plenty of light, and LED panels will do that for you.

The Sigma 28 or Pentax 35 macro lenses both render very well.
02-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I do love my K-01. The DA 35 and 50 are great lenses for the price, but I think I'd need something wider, was possibly thinking about the Tamron 17-55 2.8 or Sigma equivalent + keeping the K-01 and selling the rest.
I really wouldn't recommend anything wider than 30-40mm for photographing clothing. I do it a lot, though I don't post it here, and while my 40mm and 31mm Limiteds are fine, the perspective distortion from my 21mm and definitely my 15mm is noticeable and very distracting. I'd recommend the 35 over the 50, since 50 can be pretty tight indoors, and difficult to get enough height if you need to put something on the ground and stand on a chair to photograph it.
02-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I'm unclear - what are the files you deliver used for? Print or Internet? i think Internet from what I am reading. If that's the case then you don't need super high resolution. Also if you are going to use flash you don't need a lot of low light sensitivity. A lot of different cameras might fit your needs. First if you are interested in using a small integrated camera with Hot Shoe then yes the Panasonic LX100 might work for you. But I other than size it really doesn't do anything that the KS-2 wouldn't also do for you. There are a ton of M4/3 cameras and even 1/1.7 or 2/3 or 1" sensor cameras that could easily create fantastic images for web consumption.

So let's do the laundry list of questions:

How important are:
Wifi?
Tilt Screen?
Swivel Screen?
Wireless Remote?
Wired Remote?
Flash Hot Shoe?
High Resolution Files for Large Prints?
Web Resolution files for website eCommerce use?
Low light performance?
Accurate Flash COLORS?
Accurate Flash EXPOSURE?
Do you shoot JPG or RAW or a combination?
Budget?
Size matters? How so?
Prefer fixed lens vs. Interchangeable or vice versa?
Zoom or Prime?
02-09-2016, 09:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I use K-01 for product work and it is great. For online you really don't need more than 16 mega pickles. Fewer are even better in this case and when you shoot the K-01 in 1:1 (it supports square) you have even smaller files to store and process.

I usually shoot with the FA31 or FA43. Sometimes the DA70. I'm shooting shoes mostly so that works. If you have the room, I'd recommend the normal and longer focal lengths as the wider angles can distort products and make them less pleasing to view.
02-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

For what you want to do, you already have gear that will do it for you? You don't need a new camera.😱
02-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
For what you want to do, you already have gear that will do it for you? You don't need a new camera.😱
That's what I thought, too. From what I see, the DA 40 should be OK.
02-16-2016, 12:05 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
Hey there my Pentax friends, long time no see!

I'm looking to par-down my entire Pentax kit (K-01, K-30, 18-55, Rokinon 8, DA Limited 40, DA* 55, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 70-200 2.8) because I just don't use this stuff... only things that see use are my K-01 + 18-55 and hot shoe flashes + triggers. I run an ecommerce bussiness selling clothing online and am looking to purchase a camera (doesn't have to be Pentax and doesn't necessarily have to be a mirrorless or DSLR camera either) that meets these requirements.

- MUST have hot shoe flash option

and would be awesome if it could also:

- be able to shoot in the square 1:1 aspect ratio
- have option for wireless remote

Any and all suggestions, please throw out here.
I'm willing to spend ~$500+ if need be, but if I can get something for cheaper that's on-par quality-wise with my K-01 + 18-55 and meets the above requirements, that would be awesome. I just need a new workhorse camera. Added some example pictures of what I do below.
I will have to agree with Adam on this one. If I had an online business where it was crucial to have quality photo presentations that would be the way to go. Another option would be to venture outside your budget (not too much) you might consider investing in a Leica M series with the appropriate lens. Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck.

Tony