Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good lens option for Panasonic Lumix DMC DH2?

I hoped it never happens, but it did: my son asked me to give him my Pentax lenses to play with them on his Lumix GH2 for video. I told that my primes may be not very good idea for the video, he is really interested in my primes, and I'm not really excited about it He really wants my DA*300mm, and I told him anything, but that lens.

Anyway, I decided to buy him the lens for his Lumix as a birthday gift, need advice, what long primes, or zooms can be a good choice? Since I'm not familiar with that system at all, don't shot video with cameras, and have no wish to spend so much time to do the research from the scratch, I need your help.
Also, which is the best adapter K-to m3/4 is on the market?

03-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your DA* 300/4.0 is safe because it has no aperture ring and can't be used on the GH2 unless you happen to buy for him a K to M43 adapter with aperture ring. Basically, any K-mount lens with an aperture ring can be adapted to M43 camera but the aperture ring need to be de-clicked to prevent the clicking noise from being picked up by the GH2 as the aperture ring is rotated. dcshooter would be able to help you if you cannot do the modification yourself. I use simple, generic eBay K - M43 adapters with my G6 - any of these cheap adapters need to have the inner surface sanded and repainted with flat black paint or flocked with black velvetine material or felt to prevent light reflecting off of them. I don't know if any of the more expensive adapters would not need this 'blackening' or not.
03-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, thanks, my DA* is safe K-mount "clicking" lens is a good news for me too because, as I told, I don't like an idea of using (not even modifying!) my lenses, I may never see them again.
I'm thinking about buying either panasonic 14- 140mm f4.-5.6 or panasonic up to 200mm zoom. Perhaps, there are better options with original mount for the video I don't see.
03-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I may never see them again.
You might want to consider investing in some padlocks and safes...

Also congrats on your 2000th post

03-02-2016, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Also congrats on your 2000th post
Already? Thanks!
Yeah, I need safe to keep my son in there out of my stuff.
03-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Novoflex Pentax K to Micro Four Thirds Lens Adapter MFT/PENT B&H

Best Kmount to M43 mount convertor. I believe it allows auto exposure metering in A mode or something, maybe aperture control...

Another idea, is the Canon FD to M43 mount convertors are cheap, and so are Canon FD lenses, since no one uses them anymore
03-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What is he interested in filming? I've had great success using M-primes for to shoot static interviews. I particularly like the 28mm F3.5. It becomes a lovely normal with great color on the GH2 which is 2x instead of 1.6x for APS-C. And with the M primes you can get a cheap adapter without aperture control.

03-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What is he interested in filming?
Unfortunately and unexpectedly he wants to test my manual lenses (he's been laughing at me for collecting useless junk), and also he fell in love with my DA*300mm and wants to shot wildlife videos with it! So, he wants to buy adapter for Kmount, adapter for DA (with aperture control), and adapter for M42 to test all my glass on his GH2.

I want to buy him 35-100mm, or 45-200mm, or 45-150mm, or 100-300mm panasonic lens, so he can leave my glass alone.
I'm in trouble...

---------- Post added 03-02-16 at 06:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote

Best Kmount to M43 mount convertor. I believe it allows auto exposure metering in A mode or something, maybe aperture control...

Another idea, is the Canon FD to M43 mount convertors are cheap, and so are Canon FD lenses, since no one uses them anymore
Yep, that's the one he wants to buy. Cool idea about FD lenses, I will check that option.

Last edited by micromacro; 03-02-2016 at 06:23 PM.
03-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Unfortunately and unexpectedly he wants to use my manual lenses (he's been laughing at me for collecting useless junk), and also he fell in love with my DA*300mm and wants to shot wildlife videos with it! So, he wants to buy adapter for Kmount, adapter for DA (with aperture control), and adapter for M42 to test all my glass on his GH2.

I want to buy him 35-100mm, or 45-200mm, or 45-150mm, or 100-300mm panasonic lens, so he can leave my glass alone.
I'm in trouble...
Manual focusing on wildlife with long focal lengths will be a challenge. I had the Panny 100-300. It was good in good light but a little soft and slow @300mm
03-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote

It's the same Av mode available in Pentax DSLR when shooting with M42 lenses, the exposure "automatically" adjusts as the aperture ring is turned back and forth (on the lens or on the adapter) - this feature is available with all adapters , even the cheap ones. That's a nice looking chunk of metal but too much for my wallet - I'd rather get another lens or two instead.

Last edited by excanonfd; 03-02-2016 at 06:52 PM. Reason: additional info
03-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Manual focusing on wildlife with long focal lengths will be a challenge. I had the Panny 100-300. It was good in good light but a little soft and slow @300mm
That's what I try to tell him. He has no practice with manual focus lenses, but he says that for video it's not a big deal. Well, it still is
03-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That's what I try to tell him. He has no practice with manual focus lenses, but he says that for video it's not a big deal. Well, it still is
No harm in buying a cheap adapter and letting him learn the hard way
03-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Theres lots of old manual lenses on ebay, what about the adaptall2 60/300....it'll come in most mounts and take that off and get the cheap AD2 to m43

thatll give him 120/600(35) add the 35/100 pano which is very good too
03-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Buy your son a fast 80-200 zoom lens like the Tamron AD-2 SP 30A, 80-200/2.8 or SP 19AH 70-210/3.5 or Tokina ATX 80-200/2.8 (all MF lenses) with a cheap generic K to M43 adapter or an AD-2 to M43 adapter, add a 1.4x TC to get the reach of 300mm lens, and tell him you'd like to see some tangible results from them before investing in anymore glass.
03-03-2016, 07:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Tamron AD-2 SP 30A, 80-200/2.8
Holy cow, I want that lens for myself!
Thanks for your help, I'm so lost in that new agenda. I have my own agenda with K-1, and he messed it up, I need to keep the glass for now I wanted to sell so he can test it.

Today I told him that is better to buy dedicated zoom for his Gh, but he told it's not fun. So, the fun now is to play with old glass. He's been telling me for 2 years that is the total waste of my time and money, but suddenly it's fun!

I just bought two adapters, M42 to m4/3, and K to m4/3, cheap with good reviews. Let's see what happens first. It's a chance that after trying he may forget about that idea. I don't believe that he is really serious about it yet.