Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
$$$$ony builds a better bridge

As with anything Sony it costsalotta...U$1500 in May16.

IT being the Sony RX10 mklll.

20mp with a 1" sensor

Around the size an weight of the K1 body,but with a f2.4-4 24-600mm

Fast and furious,ultra HD video,super slo mo@960fps. 14fps stills

Some level of
water and dust sealing ???? Not sure how good that will be.

All in all a costly but feature rich all rounder that will appeal so a certain segment of the market.

03-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

20mp with a 1" sensor

Some level of

All in all a costly but feature rich all rounder that will appeal so a certain segment of the market.
Since a 1" sensor is a 2.7 crop sensor, am I correct in thinking that the "24-600mm" lens is actually an 8.8-222mm lens that has the same effective view as a 24-600mm FF lens?
03-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes,that's correct.
03-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

20mp with a 1" sensor

Some level of

It will be interesting to see how the market responds to this model. At the other photo discussion site where I'm a regular, the most enthusiastic chatter relating to bridge and compact cameras involves the Nikon P-900 and the Canon SX-50 {SX-60 seems to generate less interest for some reason}. My sense is that if people want quality they tend to go MILC or DSLR; those who go "bridge" are willing to sacrifice some quality in order to get more "reach" {that is why I've thought that a 50-300mm native Q lens might extend market for the Q family; a Q should be able to provide that reach at a lesser sacrifice of quality}. This camera seems to go contrary to that general theme, but maybe they will end up building another niche.

03-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The RX100iii is a good choice for versatility and reach, especially those who do more video than stills. The Sony 1" sensor is great when there's good light, and okay in low light but not as good as a larger sensor.

My issue with spending $1500 on a bridge camera is you waste money re-buying the lens if you upgrade when a better sensor is released. Good for Sony, though, for providing options. This might be a great camera for travel and wildlife.
03-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The RX100iii is a good choice for versatility and reach, especially those who do more video than stills. The Sony 1" sensor is great when there's good light, and okay in low light but not as good as a larger sensor.

My issue with spending $1500 on a bridge camera is you waste money re-buying the lens if you upgrade when a better sensor is released. Good for Sony, though, for providing options. This might be a great camera for travel and wildlife.
For this kind of money I would demand a 5 year warrenty. Twice the price almost as the FZ1000 .
03-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In my mind,this is a great tool at a not so great price.Its big and heavy(much prefer the Qs and GM1)

The versatility is the strong point of the bridge genre,compare the cost of APsc/m43 to do the same thing as what the Sony will do(I'm invested in both).

For the price a number of competing bridge cams with longer reach(P900)weather sealing(Fuji S1)UHD video(pano fz300) you can have the features of the RX.However,you have to carry a small backpack and around 3times the weight. As well as have smaller sensor size.

So in a way the release price may be justified.??

Apparently its a new sensor and it will be interesting to view its capabilities after its out and about.

03-30-2016, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really feel there is a "gap" in Pentax's current offerings with regard to "a system" approach. I would love to see the following from Pentax:

A 1" 20Mp backlit sensor, mirrorless, WR, camera body with in-body SR that with a special adapter could mount all SDM PK lenses and maintain full AF and auto exposure. Specifically, I want to be able to mount my DA* 60-250mm and get an equivalent 162-675mm f/4 zoom when needed for that "extra reach". Basically a non-crippled Nikon 1-like system for Pentax users which could be used as a 2nd camera (especially for long reach or macro purposes). But I would suggest a fast f/1.4 10mm pancake lens as the standard "kit" lens. Perhaps this is what the future GR could/should be more like?

Before you say it won't work because the N1 is a failure consider this: the N1 was a failure because Nikon crippled it from the get go:
  • proprietary, incompatible flash
  • crippled lens adapter
  • poor ergonomics even on their "pro" version
  • ridiculous pricing
  • poor sensor DR except for the J5
  • not WR (except for the special AW1 version)

In short, there was no reason for existing Nikon users to pick an N1 up to extend/enhance their current Nikon system -- this new camera was aimed at new users only.

If they were to proceed down this road, I doubt Pentax would make any of the above mistakes.

Michael
03-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, what you've suggested would be good. Would it replace the Q system?

And have the viewfinder that some Qers have been crying out for? Or 4k video?Sonys 1" sensor can do the job.

The Pano GM7 release is around the corner, it may tick some of the boxes.
03-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

All I'm really concerned with is if the slow motion recording limit is still just 2 seconds, and if everything above 240fps still looks like crap. If so, it's still just a gimmick.

If the processor can handle the data throughput of unlimited super-sampled 4k video, there really shouldn't be any reason why 1080p @ 240fps (actually upscaled, not even real 1080p) is so limited, especially with a body this big and expensive.
03-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, what you've suggested would be good. Would it replace the Q system?
IMHO Ricoh/Pentax should update/merge the GR + Q systems to be 1" -- best of both worlds. Need common accessories to work with the core "K" system (e.g. flash, lens adapters, batteries, 49mm standard lens filters with a max 67mm filters, etc.).

Michael
03-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
there was no reason for existing Nikon users to pick an N1 up to extend/enhance their current Nikon system -- this new camera was aimed at new users only
Same rationale applied to the K-S1, which appears to have failed to attract new users to the APS-C format. The problem might not be finding the right sensor size or designing a better system for a particular sensor size, the problem might be finding new users.

There have been times in the past when large numbers of buyers felt they wanted to become more than just Instamatic photographers, leading to good market conditions for new camera systems, but now I don't see a latent mass market for any kind of photographic equipment. I think we have arrived at the point where so many disposable pictures are being taken that very few people are interested in becoming better photographers. I think the future is boutique camera systems that appeal to individuals who want to differentiate themselves from the crowd and have the disposable income to buy their individuality.
03-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In my mind,this is a great tool at a not so great price.Its big and heavy(much prefer the Qs and GM1)

The versatility is the strong point of the bridge genre,compare the cost of APsc/m43 to do the same thing as what the Sony will do(I'm invested in both).

For the price a number of competing bridge cams with longer reach(P900)weather sealing(Fuji S1)UHD video(pano fz300) you can have the features of the RX.However,you have to carry a small backpack and around 3times the weight. As well as have smaller sensor size.

So in a way the release price may be justified.??

Apparently its a new sensor and it will be interesting to view its capabilities after its out and about.
A K-50 with kit lens and DA 55-300 give you about the same photography ability as the RX10 III, but at a cost of $600-700.
The K-50 with these lenses will have better low light performance and can give shallower DOF as it use much larger sensor.

The f/2.4 - 4 aperture on the RX10 III is equivalent to f/4,3 - 7.2 on K-50 when it comes to low light performance and DOF. The reach of the DA 55-300 is only equivalent to 450mm, but because of the better low light performance of K-50 it gives room for cropping.

If wanting 4K video RX10 III may offer good value, but as a photography tool it's quite expensive.

Last edited by Fogel70; 03-30-2016 at 07:53 PM.
03-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes,I have 2x K50s....one soon to depart.My present bridge cam is the Oly sp100 EE, came slightly used@U$ 150.Ten percent of the price of the Sony,which isn't ten times as good.Light and IQ isn't bad.It gets taken out much more than the Q series.

I'm not advocating the Sony by any means, its just of interest that's all.
04-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Heres a still shot
Attached Images