Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Good UK source for genuine-brand 2CR5 batteries?

Well, it happened to me... I bought a couple of "Duracell" Ultra Lithium 2CR5 batteries for one of my non-Pentax cameras via eBay at a seemingly excellent price. They arrived, and looked... well, pretty genuine, although the quality of the wrap-around label isn't the best - but could still have been genuine. They are dated to March 2019, and have a stamped-in date (of manufacture, I assume) of 2009/07. But having tried one of them, it discharged pretty quickly. By comparison, a Panasonic Photo Power 2CR5 I bought at a local store (for a considerably higher price, obviously!!) is lasting well. I suspect the Duracells are fake - no such thing as a free lunch, or a really cheap one that's any good So, I'm looking for recommendations on a UK source for genuine branded 2CR5 batteries at a sensible price - I'm happy to pay a little more to get the real thing. Any ideas, folks?

07-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I suspect the Duracells are fake - no such thing as a free lunch
Or just old!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Or just old!

Actually, I guess I should have amended my original post... This battery problem turned out to be caused by the Yongnuo 50mm lens on my Canon EOS-5 - draining the battery even while the camera was switched off. Since removing that lens and fitting the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, I've had the same battery fitted for weeks without any problem
07-18-2016, 01:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Actually, I guess I should have amended my original post... This battery problem turned out to be caused by the Yongnuo 50mm lens on my Canon EOS-5 - draining the battery even while the camera was switched off. Since removing that lens and fitting the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, I've had the same battery fitted for weeks without any problem
That's interesting. How could this be the case? I have a Pentax Z-20 where I put a battery in last year and havent used it much since. I wanted to grab that thing on weekend and the battery was dead, which was even more annoying that I couldnt rewind the partly taken film (and of course no spare battery). There's a 28-70 attached with autofocus.

I wonder if the battery was almost dead on arrival but it was sealed and date was ok, too.

How can a lense drain the battery?

07-18-2016, 01:14 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
With the Canon EOS-5, the common understanding (whether-or-not it's accurate, I can't say) is that the terminals that provide power to the lens (for autofocus operation etc.) remain active when the camera is powered down. Therefore, if the lens electronics draw any current when inactive, it will gradually deplete the battery. With the Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2 I tried, both drained the camera battery while switched off, within 24 - 48 hours. I returned those lenses and now have a Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, and an old Tokina 35-300 - neither of which have the problem (the Tokina has been sat on the camera for the last couple of weeks with only occasional use, and the battery is still showing as full).

EDIT: Going back to my original post, even the Panasonic battery I thought was lasting well actually drained within a couple of days with the Yongnuo lenses attached... It seems to be a known design flaw with those lenses. Shame, really, as I rather liked them

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-18-2016 at 02:27 AM.
07-18-2016, 03:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

So the Pentax Z20 is not supposed to have similar issues with this or that Pentax lens? Just wondering, never heard of problems with Pentax, though...