Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Best lightroom ver. for D700 files

Hi there, i've been using Lightroom 3.3 for about 5 years and I just love it. It generally works as fast as I need it to and that's important as I continue to master the editing process and when I have 1000+ photos to sift through. I use ver. 3.3 for D300 files, which look fanstastic, no complaints, although i'm sure they may look even better with a later version. However, my D700 raw files (I always shoot in raw), when converted, occassionally have terrible posterization in the magentas. I'm sure this would not happen in Nikon's software, but lightroom just works so much faster and is intuitive. Is there another version that has improved on converting files from this relatively old camera? I want to upgrade, i'm hesitant as I don't want to sacrifice speed too much and want to make SURE that all my presets are transferable to the new version. I've heard good things about adobe camera raw. DxOMark also makes a good product. I'm willing to try anything, but the question is have they worked to improve conversion of older NEF files. Try viewing the link below for an example. If it doesn't work, I can upload one when I get home from work. As always, thanks for your knowledge and input!

https://www.facebook.com/atiimjones/photos/a.1071966952824682.1073741876.202...type=3&theater

04-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend installing a trial version of photoshop CC and lightroom CC. That will let you test the latest version of ACR and see if it works better for your specific files

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used LR CC with my D700 files with excellent results.
04-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
Hi there, i've been using Lightroom 3.3 for about 5 years and I just love it. It generally works as fast as I need it to and that's important as I continue to master the editing process and when I have 1000+ photos to sift through. I use ver. 3.3 for D300 files, which look fanstastic, no complaints, although i'm sure they may look even better with a later version. However, my D700 raw files (I always shoot in raw), when converted, occassionally have terrible posterization in the magentas. I'm sure this would not happen in Nikon's software, but lightroom just works so much faster and is intuitive. Is there another version that has improved on converting files from this relatively old camera? I want to upgrade, i'm hesitant as I don't want to sacrifice speed too much and want to make SURE that all my presets are transferable to the new version. I've heard good things about adobe camera raw. DxOMark also makes a good product. I'm willing to try anything, but the question is have they worked to improve conversion of older NEF files. Try viewing the link below for an example. If it doesn't work, I can upload one when I get home from work. As always, thanks for your knowledge and input!

https://www.facebook.com/atiimjones/photos/a.1071966952824682.1073741876.202...type=3&theater
Version 3.x of LR is ancient and functionally inferior mainly because in version 4 they updated the "process version" to 2012 which is essentially the rendering engine. The current version 6 as well as CC still use this version. The improvement was very significant. If you do a trial of CC, you will be able to pick the older 2010 version that you are currently using to compare. The other additions to CC are significant as well. You can dig up a coupon that cuts the first year of CC down to about $8 monthly and it includes Photoshop as well. Though I purchased version 6 retail last year, the improvements to the CC version were enough convincing for me to subscribe to CC this year. Try it and then decide.

M