Sony a7 rII... DPR "90 - Gold Award"

53,000 followers...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125233350@N03/28108060404/in/dateposted/

Eeeeeee...yuuuuuw... M

08-02-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any context to this or am I just supposed to guess that there's a problem with the weather-sealing on the camera?
08-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Awful thing to happen, I feel bad for the owner of that camera.

Eric
08-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
any context to this or am I just supposed to guess that there's a problem with the weather-sealing on the camera?
Good question. A single image of internal corrosion doesn't tell the story of what happened.. did the guy dunk the camera in the ocean? get sprayed one too may times on the beach? Took it into a sauna? never got near the beach or water sources?

08-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
"Sony A7rll. Very big problem with condensation and moisture inside the camera. Do not covered under the warranty. Camera six months and never peed water. It turned out from the condensation of my eyes, my hands, and from the fact that I breathe."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125233350@N03/28031739394/in/dateposted/

Body only: $3200... poof!

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-7r-ii

Sad... M
08-02-2016, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How's the tracking AF on a tripod?
08-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
"Sony A7rll. Very big problem with condensation and moisture inside the camera. Do not covered under the warranty. Camera six months and never peed water. It turned out from the condensation of my eyes, my hands, and from the fact that I breathe."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125233350@N03/28031739394/in/dateposted/

Body only: $3200... poof!

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-7r-ii

Sad... M
Ahh.. from the looks of his GPS data, hes from Palma de Mallorca.. Spain. The average relative humidity is 75% there and they are surrounded by sea water.

Unless he has a serious medical issue, he's not exhaling salt in that quantity to damage whole circuit boards... it's more likely due to the weather in his location if he is being honest. That or he has been to the beach had had the camera sprayed/dunked by the water..

I suspect the cost to repair would be quite steep but it seems like his only option..

08-02-2016, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Yet if had been Pentax we'd have a serious problem, with all kinds of advice as to what Pentax should do.
08-02-2016, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did no-one even notice that "he" is a "she"? And that map indicates she's from the Balearic Islands? RTFA, folks, even though there's not that much extra information to be found.

The localised nature of the damage makes me wonder if there wasn't a problem with sealing (?possibly around the eyepiece?) or maybe even factory contamination. If it was just from condensation, I would have expected it to be more generally spread about. Pity there's no further detail to show who's inspected the damage and given an unbiassed technical report.
08-02-2016, 11:58 PM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Did no-one even notice that "he" is a "she"? And that map indicates she's from the Balearic Islands? RTFA, folks, even though there's not that much extra information to be found.

The localised nature of the damage makes me wonder if there wasn't a problem with sealing (?possibly around the eyepiece?) or maybe even factory contamination. If it was just from condensation, I would have expected it to be more generally spread about. Pity there's no further detail to show who's inspected the damage and given an unbiassed technical report.
this was as much info as I could glean from the flickr-page, but nothing further in depth...
08-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Good question. A single image of internal corrosion doesn't tell the story of what happened.. did the guy dunk the camera in the ocean? get sprayed one too may times on the beach? Took it into a sauna? never got near the beach or water sources?
According to the comments she said "3 drops of rain".

Truth is usually somewhere in the middle in these type of situations. She admits water did get on the camera. Bad situation either way.

Its a reminder that these are high tech gadgets that are delicate.
08-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

If condensation from weather, holding cameras and from eyes did this, then all cameras without weather sealing would have a 6month lifespan.
They likely dunked it.
08-04-2016, 03:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard to say, isn't it? We had a member here who took his K30 and 18-135 to Niagra Falls and rode the Maid of the Mist and had a camera failure afterward. Pentax ended up fixing it under warranty, as I recall, even though that is a pretty similar experience to swimming with the camera.

Just because a camera is sealed doesn't mean that it doesn't have a weak spot in those seals and it is possible that she just got a faulty camera. The unfortunate thing is that Sony isn't doing something to fix under warranty what is a pretty expensive piece of gear.
08-04-2016, 05:19 AM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Hard to say, isn't it? We had a member here who took his K30 and 18-135 to Niagra Falls and rode the Maid of the Mist and had a camera failure afterward. Pentax ended up fixing it under warranty, as I recall, even though that is a pretty similar experience to swimming with the camera.

Just because a camera is sealed doesn't mean that it doesn't have a weak spot in those seals and it is possible that she just got a faulty camera. The unfortunate thing is that Sony isn't doing something to fix under warranty what is a pretty expensive piece of gear.

Well in her earlier claim the camera didn't get anywhere near water.. now we're finding out it was near water.. that is the bigger issue -- if you want some response, be honest.

There is no way condensation from breath or eyes caused massive corrosion internally to that camera.. unless she cried over it because it is a crappy Sony product.. then it would be understandable.
08-04-2016, 05:31 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well in her earlier claim the camera didn't get anywhere near water.. now we're finding out it was near water.. that is the bigger issue -- if you want some response, be honest.

There is no way condensation from breath or eyes caused massive corrosion internally to that camera.. unless she cried over it because it is a crappy Sony product.. then it would be understandable.
Sure. I think something happened. I guess the question is more one of how well a company stands behind sealing claims. Seems as though if you want/need weather sealing then Sony may not be the way to go.