Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 02:03 AM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Recommendations for a decent trail-cam?

I'm looking for a good quality trail cam.

My garden is approximately 60' x 70' in size, with a mature rowan tree dead centre at the end, where I'd look to mount the camera. This is also where the bird table and feeders are, and various hidey-holes where field mice live. I'm pretty sure there are foxes and possibly badgers visiting, and these would be the largest animals I'd expect to see. Most will be small to medium sized birds, rodents, hedgehogs, mustelids etc.

I'm mostly interested in what visits the garden after dusk and at night, through until dawn, so low light capture is a priority. Being in the UK, we get quite a lot of rain, so any camera I consider needs to be very weatherproof

I'd like the images captured to be of sufficient resolution and quality to fill a laptop screen and still look quite respectable, but obviously I'm not expecting DSLR quality! Budget is up to £200 / US$275.

I've started looking already, and the Bushnell Trophy Cam series looks pretty good, though not sure which model would best suit my needs.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

08-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Stealth Cams seem to have a good following. Check out the reviews on Cabela's (just do a search for Trail Cams and you will go right to them).
Cabela's Official Website - Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Shooting & Outdoor Gear : Cabela's

Regards,
08-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Dave - I appreciate your reply In fact, since posting, I've been reading an awful lot of reviews on trail cams, and just now ordered a "Browning Strike Force Sub Micro" (2015 edition). It was well within my budget - actually, considerably less than I would have been prepared to pay. The main thing that swung the decision for me was that this particular model seems to have a good reputation for freezing motion in IR-illuminated night shots. Apparently a lot of cams, including the Stealth Cam range, have some difficulty capturing a moving subject at night (although I suspect none of them is perfect in this regard)...