Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fixed screen....no good for stiff old fellas.

08-25-2016, 05:48 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

The only thing likely to "leak" over here are people's eyes as they take on board the cost of this new camera which is slated to be around half as much again or more as the 5D Mark III, and the cost of Canon's L series lenses continues to climb as well. If I was in the market for photography equipment like this, though, I'd buy one without a second thought. It sounds an excellent camera and a super-reliable workhorse with a vast range of accessories and solid support behind it.

You have to hand it to Canon. Despite the bad press they always receive in some quarters, they stay consistently at #1 in the sales rankings and are solidly profitable so far as I know, unlike so many other outfits. Predictions of impending doom and general implosions in the market for monster DSLRs - dinosaurs for human lizards, etc, etc - have proved rather wide of the mark. I've seen a lot of 5D Mark IIIs this summer carried by the stupendous number of Far Eastern tourists in Oxford this year, so Canon have the conspicuous consumption angle covered too. They go for Canon overwhelmingly, not for Nikon, when it comes to spending big. Indeed, the extent to which Canon are trouncing Nikon in China, at least on the evidence of what tourists carry over here, is quite revealing.

Even so, I wonder whether the price set for the new 5D Mark IV marks a bit of a watershed. It could be an admission that Canon see the DSLR story as one of continuing decline with no uptick in sight, and so Canon are starting to stratify ruthlessly. Those who want the "pro" stuff are going to have to pony up on a whole new basis. Far below, many rungs down, there is everything else on Planet Canon, the non-pro wannabee world of consumer DSLRs and plastic boxes not exactly built to last.

Who knows. I'm just speculating. For someone like me, Pentax, Nikon, Fuji and Olympus offer vastly more bang for the buck at the higher end. For the likely price of a 5D Mark IV and the new Canon 24-105mm L lens, I could buy two high-end Oly bodies and all three of their Pro f2.8 zooms, covering 14mm to 300mm. With Pentax, I might be able to squeeze in one K1 body and two high-quality f2.8 zooms, with Fuji somewhere in between. This is some balls from Canon.

Last edited by mecrox; 08-25-2016 at 06:46 AM.
08-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I agree with the above. I feel bad for people who will pay close to twice the price of a K-1 for less camera. All because they want a canon logo on it.
08-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah $3499 and €4200. No competition with the K-1

08-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yeah $3499 and €4200. No competition with the K-1
That why it sells more then K-1.
08-25-2016, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
so you're saying that if Pentax/Ricoh would raise the price of the K1 to €5000 it would sell more cameras then this Canon?
under which rock did you spend this summer?
08-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
so you're saying that if Pentax/Ricoh would raise the price of the K1 to €5000 it would sell more cameras then this Canon?
under which rock did you spend this summer?
They don't compete with each other as much as suggested. There are more people willing to pay the price for this Canon then for the Pentax. So putting prices next to each other doesn't tell the story. There are also more people buying a BMW then buying a much cheaper SUZUKI.

08-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #38
Pentaxian

its all about semantics. You should be more carefull if you want to be credible.
Even about the selling of more BMW's then Suzuki. It depends on which market. That you are not saying. Nor are you stating that you compared it only with cars. It could be motorcycles, sales from Husqvarna, boat engines etc.......

Last edited by Franc; 08-25-2016 at 07:17 AM.
08-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
its all about semantics. You should be more carefull if you want to be credible.
Even about the selling of more BMW's then Suzuki. It depends on which market. That you are not saying.
I don't need to be credible with people who like to play word bongle but don't understand how the world spins.
08-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are the features Adorama thought important enough to include in their email to me:

* price $3499

* 30.4MP FF sensor

* 4K video @ 30p or 24p

* ISO 100 - 32,000

* 7 fps burst

* WiFi, NFC, GPS

* touch LCD

Note: picture shows no OnBoard Flash, no flippy LCD

I don't see any mention of WR, either.

Obviously a small step forward for Canon-hood, but not revolutionary.

I remember a few years ago when a CNN crew covering a hurricane in Miami had to run into a Radio Shack because they had managed to ruin their camera {IIRC, they ruined the replacement also}. So this camera will be good for those who need solid video performance, but still wouldn't be a suitable emergency camera for CNN.
08-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #41
Pentaxian

I don't need to be credible with people who like to play word bongle but don't understand how the world spins.
that's a bit silly to say if you don't know what my trade and experience is.
ps. i thought you stated on the Dutch forum that you were going to leave this forum, change of hearts?
08-25-2016, 07:29 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It sells more because Canon has a much larger market share than Pentax and is a much bigger company because of it. This camera will very rarely be someones first dslr.
08-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
It sells more because Canon has a much larger market share than Pentax and is a much bigger company because of it. This camera will very rarely be someones first dslr.
Yes, but K-1 is also not the first dslr for most buyers. For that it is also to expensive.
08-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I don't see any mention of WR, either.
It is weather sealed.
08-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, but K-1 is also not the first dslr for most buyers. For that it is also to expensive.
obviously, so if you are already into a system like Canon or Nikon which have the largest market share, you are much more likely to upgrade than switch, hence bigger brands sell more camera's despite the competition offering more value and options, because their customer base is larger. It is still too expensive though, but enough people will buy it. Has very little to do with the K-1.