Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
If burst rate means that much, go for Sony A6000 as it beats even my K-3 II (8fps). I saw the images Sony makes, and I was delighted as they were excellent, andmany said it's the best small camera up to 1000€ but I went the other way, because it was twice as much as my K-S1 at the time, and I could add the 90mm Tamron F2.8 macro lens for the price difference and get more for less without losing on image quality.

08-21-2016, 09:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, look at the other Sony mirrorless. They have a bunch, they seem to make a new one every couple of weeks. a5000, a5100, a6000, then there is the nex series.. I don't even know what the differences are between all of those, but I sometimes see one or another selling for a very tempting price on used sites.
As far as I know the main downside to Sony cameras is that they are not always user friendly or intuitive. Pentax is generally known for good ergonomics, button placement, clear menus and well-thought out features (like hyper program, nice little green button, red button, etc.)
08-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
As far as I know the main downside to Sony cameras is that they are not always user friendly or intuitive. Pentax is generally known for good ergonomics, button placement, clear menus and well-thought out features (like hyper program, nice little green button, red button, etc.)
Whilst I prefer Pentax's menus and general operation, it didn't take me long to get used to the A99... it's quite friendly and straightforward; there are some significant differences in how to do certain things, but they make sense. About the only thing I find a little overwhelming is the choice (and, sometimes, the limitations in choice) over what functions can be custom-assigned to what buttons...
08-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Also, look at the other Sony mirrorless. They have a bunch, they seem to make a new one every couple of weeks. a5000, a5100, a6000, then there is the nex series.. I don't even know what the differences are between all of those, but I sometimes see one or another selling for a very tempting price on used sites.
The a5000 and a5100 have "point & shoot" style controls and no EVF. The a5100 has 4K video if that matters (it doesn't to me).

The controls on the a6000 are decent, not as good as DSLR style front & rear dials, but better than single dial Pentax bodies (e.g. K-r, K-01, K-S1, etc). Lots of AF menus, some customizable buttons. They've even stolen some Pentax ideas, i.e. Hyper-Program and Manual with Auto ISO (TAv mode). The a6000 controls were a big step forward from NEX bodies, according to DPReview.

08-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Having owned both and used MF lenses on both, I'd say the A6000 will be the clear winner here...The Sony has an EVF and much much much better focus peaking. I do like the 16mp sensor from the K-01 a lot more for low light situations and I like the lossless DNG RAW from pentax a lot more than sonys RAW...but that is just a matter of opinion I guess. You could get the NEX-6 for cheaper which has a better higher resolution EVF.
08-22-2016, 03:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
You could get the NEX-6 for cheaper which has a better higher resolution EVF.
But no PDAF (may not matter to the OP) and clumsier controls.
08-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
But no PDAF (may not matter to the OP) and clumsier controls.
I thought it was the NEX-7 that didn't have the PDAF and the NEX-6 did? won't make a difference with MF lenses though.

08-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Very cleverly worded responses here. I swear, people would probably recommend pentax's first ever dslr over a top of the like canon or nikon and say that "it depends on what you are using it for." Sony announced a an update to fix the lossless raw ages ago. The a6000 is newer, and sony's a mount is showing up everywhere. You can look up Jason Lanier's video where he talks about why he is shooting a mount instead of his top of the line nikon DSLRs.

Sony is reinventing the wheel whereas Pentax is still chasing the status quo.

Pentax K-01 vs Sony A6000 - Our Analysis

Last edited by neostyles; 08-22-2016 at 01:46 PM.
08-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I thought it was the NEX-7 that didn't have the PDAF and the NEX-6 did? won't make a difference with MF lenses though.
Sorry, you're correct, the NEX6 had PDAF "99 phase-detect points covering approximately 50% of the sensor".
08-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Sony announced a an update to fix the lossless raw ages ago. The a6000 is newer, and sony's a mount is showing up everywhere.
I could be wrong, but I'm sure the lossless compression update is only for later A7 series cameras, and not the a6000 or indeed the newer a6300. If I'm wrong, could you post a link regarding the update? I'd be interested to read that, as the subject comes up from time-to-time...

Also, the a6000 is E-mount - not A-mount. You can use A-mount glass on it with an adapter, of course.
08-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Sony announced a an update to fix the lossless raw ages ago.
If there's a way to shoot lossless raw images with my a6000, I'd like to know where to find it. I'm not aware of an update for existing cameras. I believe the latest FF shoots full raw but the a6300 does not.

DPR lists this as a Con for the a6000 and a6300:
• Lossy compression of Raw risks occasional artifacts

The compression is not a big deal. They also list raw performance under Pro:
• Flexible Raw files with plenty of dynamic range

Snapsort says Sony has "Better image stabilization, Lens vs. Sensor shift". That's a rather ignorant statement. IBIS is a clear advantage. I can use either IBIS or ILIS with my Sigma 17-50. The a6000 with my Touit and Sigma Art lenses has no IS.
08-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cleverly worded responses here. I swear, people would probably recommend pentax's first ever dslr over a top of the like canon or nikon and say that "it depends on what you are using it for."
Well, to be fair, the Pentax *ist D does have those nice CCD colours and its only 550g with good ergonomics..

The best way to help someone is to help them identify their priorities and compare them to the options within their budget.
K-01 has a bit of a following, so there has to be some reason for it, no? Yellow bumblebee brick with 40mm XS, cool 16MP sensor with good DR and low (no?) AA filter, people staring and wondering what the hell kind of camera that is as you slowly compose that flower photo with an ancient Helios 44-2, taking your time focusing by hand..
08-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

the A7II A7SII A7RII all have lossless...I thought the A6300 was going to have it as well but I was already switching back to Pentax when that was coming out.

---------- Post added 08-22-2016 at 05:08 PM ----------

Very cleverly worded responses here. I swear, people would probably recommend pentax's first ever dslr over a top of the like canon or nikon and say that "it depends on what you are using it for." Sony announced a an update to fix the lossless raw ages ago. The a6000 is newer, and sony's a mount is showing up everywhere. You can look up Jason Lanier's video where he talks about why he is shooting a mount instead of his top of the line nikon DSLRs.

Sony is reinventing the wheel whereas Pentax is still chasing the status quo.

Pentax K-01 vs Sony A6000 - Our Analysis
Jason Lanier is kind of a douche....I don't take much of anything he says seriously. Also we are talking about the E-Mount here....the A mount is basically dead and as I said above, only certain cameras got the lossless raw, the a6000 not being one of them. But for what the OP wants, I would take the A6000 over the K-01. Better sensor, better focus peaking, and EVF.

Last edited by GateCityRadio; 08-22-2016 at 02:11 PM.
08-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought the A6300 was going to have it as well but I was already switching back to Pentax when that was coming out.
I guess they may provide an update for it, but it currently uses the same lossy 11+7 bit compression - unless @neostyles knows of an update that I don't, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-22-2016 at 02:28 PM.
08-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
This is a joke right? The green button is right next to the movie icon on the K3, which would lead people to think that it is somehow related to movie shooting. I figured out of basically how to use my nikon without even really opening the manual. Sure the more advanced things, required a little bit of looking into but I was able to pretty much pick up camera and start shooting from the getgo without having to spend time buried in the manual.

Now, granted we are talking about sony and I found it to not be quite as intuitive as my nikon, but calling pentax user friendly is a stretch. I am a designer by trade.

Compare the d3200 to any entry level dslr from pentax. The D3200 is, designed from the group up, to be for beginners, someone who is is still learning their way around the ins and outs of photography. The pentax is simply a lower speced out option.

Looking at the K3, everything seems to claustrophobic and clustered together. They squeezed everything into the right side of the camera, refusing to use the top part of the camera. Pretty much every brand out there has controls on the top of the camera and this is for a good reason. It lets you do more with the camera one handed.

Look at the pentax flu card and compare it to the built in wi fi on virtually any sony. Tell me flu card that has you opening a browser like something from the 90s is easier to use. Instead of plain english, the menus use numbers for options. This is just the K-30 but my first camera the Istds (whatever it was called did this.)