Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wait how many MF cameras has Fuji released so far? I feel like I have been reading the same rumour for years now
Including the wishful thinking...yes!

As for MF chops, Fuji goes back to the late 1960s as a major player in field-capable mirrorless MF film cameras and remained active in that space until just a few years ago.

Steve

09-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
None of the things you mention are medium format dependent. It could just as easily be done with full frame 35mm at a much lower price.
Simply said : no.

More complicated way : you seems so anchored to the idea that the 5DSR can do it all, better than anything else, that i don't see the point of having a chat with you about this idea.
09-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Yes, that hits the nail on the head. I've always been tempted by Fuji but also always put off because the reality distortion field maintained by all those hired guns means that I'm never really sure what I'd be getting into, so I stay away. If Fuji decide to issue an MF camera, then one assumes they have done their research and their sums and decided there is a business case to justify it. Not that I will be affected in any way, there is zero chance of my ever owning a medium format anything. In a way, Fuji have little choice. If they feel they have taken APS-C as far as they can and want to expand, then they can only really go to MF or very small, like 1". Anything else is too close to APS-C to be presented as a genuine alternative rather than a smallish incremental change at disproportionate expense (because the lenses are all tied to a format). The other thing I suspect they missed a trick on is IBIS.
Reality distortion field. Like it.

I have APS-C Fuji (since that is all that is currently available) due to size, lens availability, quality and portability. I can also add weather sealed into the mix. The colours are also rather good.

The brand is well 'spun', but is rather capable. However, the spin also is to overprice the bodies.

The other rumour floating around is that this camera will not be Xtrans. That, and the expectations of MF purchasers (with respect to other camera companies in this space, and Fuji's own rather storied history) could make this camera a lot more 'straight up'.
09-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Reality distortion field. Like it.

I have APS-C Fuji (since that is all that is currently available) due to size, lens availability, quality and portability. I can also add weather sealed into the mix. The colours are also rather good.

The brand is well 'spun', but is rather capable. However, the spin also is to overprice the bodies.

The other rumour floating around is that this camera will not be Xtrans. That, and the expectations of MF purchasers (with respect to other camera companies in this space, and Fuji's own rather storied history) could make this camera a lot more 'straight up'.
Yes, X-trans is a bit of a mixed bag so far as I can see. I don't know much about it but the prospect of having to change my set-up and invest in yet more software isn't all that inviting. Fuji could be in a bit of a cul de sac with that one if clever software engineers continue to find more ways to draw out colour and acuity from Bayer sensors. I've never thought my Bayer cameras lacked some vital essence and modes like high-res or pixel shifting, although fiddly, do result in a quality jump.

The Fuji kit always sounds darn nice and the lenses sound superb, though I have never used any of it. The bodies are certainly quite pricey when new. The new X-T2 is offered here at £1399. That's a lot of money here for almost anyone. To put that in perspective a K1 is £1599 and a K70 is £559. I've just bought an Olympus E-M1 for £699 after a sudden discount at my local store. Perhaps they had a slow weekend and needed some cash on Monday before the landlord came in. It's hardly a new model, but it is still more camera than I will probably ever need and I can't see myself running out of road with it. We are spoiled for choice and I think there are plenty of keen prices to be had if one waits a while and buys when the gloss has worn off or a newer model is in the offing. Some dealers here are still trying to offload stuff - all those D3xxx, D5xxx and D7xxx models - Nikon must have stopped making years ago. That's the problem for a lot of fancy new cameras - there is so much unsold stock of still excellent though slightly older items floating around out there at tempting prices.

Last edited by mecrox; 09-12-2016 at 04:56 PM.
09-13-2016, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I keep hearing how FF is better than APS-C, almost by definition.
MF should have exactly the same advantages over FF, by the same definition.
It does, although it must be considered that most of the medium format sensors out there right now are "crop" sensors and so the increased size is not huge compared to full frame sensors. In addition, medium format lenses usually have a max aperture of f2.8 which also means that while there is better low light performance, it may not be as useful in many situations as a full frame camera with an f1.8 lens.

Overall, medium format is a niche situation. If someone only shoots with a couple of lenses, then it probably does offer better quality. But if you want to replace you D810 and 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 zooms with medium format equivalents, you are probably going to be unhappy with what is available.
09-14-2016, 05:29 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I keep hearing how FF is better than APS-C, almost by definition. MF should have exactly the same advantages over FF, by the same definition.
Leaving optics out of the equation, yes it is. But it would be foolish to leave optics out of it.

APSC: High end zooms have f/2,8 and high quality primes have f/1,4
FF.....: High end zooms have f/2,8 and high quality primes have f/1,4
MF....: High end zooms have f/4 and high quality primes have f/2,8

A little simplified numbers of course, but lets keep it simple enough to get the message through. If you want real world lens examples, look at one of my earlier posts in this thread.

With apertures like this, FF have an advantage over APS-C in terms of noise (if one chooses to lower the DoF). An advantage that isn't present between FF and MF.

Aperture number must bee seen in context with sensor size, just like we see focal length in context with sensor size.

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Then why aren't they?
I think its because some professionals think larger sensor size are better by definition, without other things affecting it.