Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 03:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Impressive new specs of canon mirrorless camera leak - eos m5

Now while I have my heart set on mirrors, I think the weakness of the sony systems is their lens selection. True, it's catching up to the big names (and at an ever growing rate I might add) but it's hard to beat canonikons selection of lenses. I recently spotted this sexy little thing. It packs the same sensor as the 80d which is impressive considering that the thing is smaller than the a6000.

Attached Images

Last edited by neostyles; 09-09-2016 at 03:31 AM.
09-09-2016, 04:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks fab but the big question is whether Canon have decided to make a full and proper job of it or issue something dumbed-down and deliberately limited in order to protect their other lines. If it is the real deal, I for one would be tempted - in about a year, after debugging and a better idea of whether Canon will build a full system around this. One swallow and summer, etc. And, of course, the usual caveat about not believing it till you see it.
09-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #3

Looks like one of the better designs. I have the EM1 which this sort of resembles, but it appears simpler with some more logical differences.
09-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Now while I have my heart set on mirrors, I think the weakness of the sony systems is their lens selection. True, it's catching up to the big names (and at an ever growing rate I might add) but it's hard to beat canonikons selection of lenses. I recently spotted this sexy little thing. It packs the same sensor as the 80d which is impressive considering that the thing is smaller than the a6000.
In reading through specs I don't see anything impressive about it. It might bee hard to beat the selection of lenses that Canon has, but those lenses don't work on this camera without an adapter. The sensor in the Canon 80D is smaller than the sensor in the a6000 and not nearly as good. Canon is still 1-2 generations behind Sony in sensor performance.

09-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
5-axis IBIS is certainly a pleasant surprise coming from Canon, but how good is the EVF? And perhaps more importantly, will they expand the M lens lineup?
09-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The 5-axis stabilization, along with the EVF, shows that Canon is serious this time around, and is poised to become a major player in the mirrorless ILC market. I do, however, have questions about lens selection (my guess is that we won't see any lenses that quite match Canon's high-end L glass) and the handling of the camera (no front scroll wheel, and why must we have an exposure compensation dial on such a small body? Obviously a lousy camera for those of us who shoot in manual).
09-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
The 5-axis stabilization, along with the EVF, shows that Canon is serious this time around, and is poised to become a major player in the mirrorless ILC market. I do, however, have questions about lens selection (my guess is that we won't see any lenses that quite match Canon's high-end L glass) and the handling of the camera (no front scroll wheel, and why must we have an exposure compensation dial on such a small body? Obviously a lousy camera for those of us who shoot in manual).
There may still be a market out there for those of us who don't regularly shoot in manual but want something better than a smart phone.
If Pentax would build a camera like this, based on the K-70, but having Pentax technology and Pentax User Interface, I would be extremely interested.

09-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There may still be a market out there for those of us who don't regularly shoot in manual but want something better than a smart phone.
But there already exist many such cameras, some at least which feature better designs than this Canon. The Olympus OM-D series of cameras features dual scroll wheels, one of which is in the front of the camera and can serve to change exposure compensation, for non manual shooters, or just change shooting speed, for manual ETTR shooters like myself. The point of camera design is to make a camera that can easily accommodate many different shooting styles, rather than just a few. By having a fully programmable interface with two scroll wheels, each photographer can set up the camera to fit his own particular needs.

If Pentax would build a camera like this, based on the K-70, but having Pentax technology and Pentax User Interface, I would be extremely interested.
Yes, Pentax would obviously do a better job with the user interface than Canon or Sony. For better or worse, however, Pentax won't be making any such camera any time soon.
09-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes, Pentax would obviously do a better job with the user interface than Canon or Sony. For better or worse, however, Pentax won't be making any such camera any time soon.
It will be interesting to see if anyone at Photokina can get a relevant comment from Pentax. The design of the K-70 begs to be converted into an MILC {features available only in LV, for example}. Maybe that is a result of the hardware they chose for other reasons, but maybe not. What I would love to see, but don't expect to see, would be a leaf shutter on a camera at this level. My Q-7 is so quiet.
09-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

lens selection
Canon's high-end L glass
Theres an AF adapter for all the Canon lenses, so Ls can go on all the M models.

If these rumours are accurate? it seems this is a serious uprgrade by adding an EVF plus the other features that are in the high end Canons.

Certainly a good path from someone who wants more than a P&S/Phn cam.

Last edited by surfar; 09-09-2016 at 01:36 PM.
09-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Theres an AF adapter for all the Canon lenses, so Ls can go on all the M models.
True, but irrelevant to the point I was trying to make. If I'm buying a small APS-C camera, why would I want to destroy its primary virtue by matching it with a huge and heavy SLR FF lens? And adding the adapter only makes that lens even bigger and heavier! Olympus and Panasonic have created some high quality compact lenses (admittedly, mostly prime lenses), so it can be done.

This new Canon is a step in the right direction, but the most successful mirrorless cameras (in terms of profitability), like the Fuji XT and the Sony FF cams, are all fairly upscale. Lower end mirrorless ILCs have generally not fared so well, often winding up in fire sales that cost their companies millions of dollars.
09-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

True, but irrelevant to the point I was trying to make. If I'm buying a small APS-C camera, why would I want to destroy its primary virtue by matching it with a huge and heavy SLR FF lens? And adding the adapter only makes that lens even bigger and heavier! Olympus and Panasonic have created some high quality compact lenses (admittedly, mostly prime lenses), so it can be done.
The relevance of this statement depends on the accuracy and predictive value of the next one. My personal belief is that MILC technology is more likely to be dominant in consumer lines than in pro/semi-pro lines. What I would expect from Canon, Nikon, and Pentax is a consumer MILC line with a few native-mount lenses in focal lengths popular to consumers and an ability to use other lenses {EF-mount in the case of Canon, KAF3/4 mount in the case of Pentax} to round out the line. Right now, no one actually knows anything, though, so we're all just guessing and speculating.

This new Canon is a step in the right direction, but the most successful mirror-less cameras (in terms of profitability), like the Fuji XT and the Sony FF cams, are all fairly upscale. Lower end mirrorless ILCs have generally not fared so well, often winding up in fire sales that cost their companies millions of dollars.
How do we know that the Sony FF cameras are more profitable than the A6000 and A6300?
09-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The IBIS is electronic, not mechanical, if that matters.
09-09-2016, 07:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

True, but irrelevant to the point I was trying to make. If I'm buying a small APS-C camera, why would I want to destroy its primary virtue by matching it with a huge and heavy SLR FF
I don't see any difference from the fact that BIG K mount lenses are(in some circumstances) mounted on even smaller Qute cameras.This Canon has an AF adapter(U$100ish) that makes every lens that is AF, useable as it was designed.

Like the Q series there isn't quite enough M lenses yet(but they do have a native macro)

For a long time Pentax Q users have been requesting(whining) a EVF,Canon must be listening to their market.
09-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The IBIS is electronic
hope it doesn't crop the video or pictures to do so

How do we know that the Sony FF cameras are more profitable than the A6000 and A6300?
who cares, they make so much money selling their intellectual property (sensors) to competitors, they are probably already working on the a7 and a6300's replacements

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
but how good is the EVF?
like every other canon thats not full frame - to damn small