Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Canon marketing machine

Canon marketing machine, HUGE. Less than a month after the announcement of the Canon 5D IV, it is already reviewed by DPR, with gold result for the overall evaluation. We can sense the priority behind the media. Virtually anything Canon does , they sell it by massive spending in marketing and sales promotion.

09-15-2016, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Canon marketing machine, HUGE. Less than a month after the announcement of the Canon 5D IV, it is already reviewed by DPR, with gold result for the overall evaluation. We can sense the priority behind the media. Virtually anything Canon does , they sell it by massive spending in marketing and sales promotion.
Yes, that has been true for a long time. I remember 21+ years ago, when I was the process of switching from Pentax to Canon, I was influenced by their USM lenses, but they tried to influence me by having their name on the rear spoiler of a top Formula One car {and Formula One sponsorship costs seriously big bucks}
09-15-2016, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

YES, if you want to pay for their adverting buy their product....I like paying for R/pentax advertising(zero)!
09-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The popularity cuts both ways, DPR has a built in incentive - people will flood the site to see the content.

09-15-2016, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Indeed! And all those marketing dollars come from the pockets of Canon users.

I'd rather have my photography money going into great products sold at great prices (like the K-1) than wasted on a logo plastered on a car.

Big ads don't help me take better pictures.
09-15-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

TWO Pentax K1s = One Canon 5Dmk iv....$$$ wise only, those Car spoilers costallotta
09-15-2016, 07:14 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Canon Marketing Machine" ... oh, I thought this was going to be about Tony Northrup! :-)

09-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

They react to where the demand is. I've ran into people with a Canon DSLR that have never heard of Pentax.

pentax k1, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Nikon D750 - Google Trends

Compare the interest on Google between the K1 and D750 or Mark 5D 2 and it's like we are talking apples and oranges. I think Pentax should be responible for creating interest to begin with. They need to get professionals using Pentax with lots of Youtube followers and spread the word.
09-22-2016, 05:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Canon, due to its popularity and volume of sales has a very good easily available 2nd hand market, in lenses, worldwide.

Plus they have the widest variety of lenses.

It would make perfect financial sense for any budding photographer to go the Canon route.

I would argue that they probably have the most accurate, fast, focusing systems and probably the most accurate white balance. This and the above mentioned is probably more important to a newbie in their purchasing decision as they wouldn't know anything about sensor design, dynamic range etc etc so it wouldn't feature in their buying decision

So possibly the Canon marketing machine is far better at understanding its "bread & butter" clients than the others.
09-22-2016, 05:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If the new Canon 5D Mark IV is as good as it sounds, then it thoroughly deserved a gold award and swift attention. Canon make some very good cameras and lenses and they sell well because they are good for their intended purpose, as often as not. For some, like professional folks, Canon set industry standards and are a no-brainer choice for some kinds of photography. I don't see any correlation between the price of a camera or lens and the amount spent on marketing it. Alas, the opposite is all too often true - a shoddy product is poorly marketed because the outfit that made it is a crap outfit making crap products. Just look at the el cheapo end of consumer electronics, among kettles, microwaves, motherboards, etc. "No Name Brands" are called that for a reason. This is *not* a dig at Ricoh who are every bit as canny as Canon when it comes to commercial practice. Ricoh seem to have a different set of priorities, that's all. They put their resources into products and territories where they believe they are strongest, rather than spread it around all over the place.

Canon are the #1 imaging company worldwide and no mainstream website or retailer can afford to ignore their products. No sensible company sells their products for less than they could get if they price them correctly and I am sure all the camera companies put a lot of effort into doing their sums with just that in mind. There is never going to be an even playing field among commercial websites. Companies with 30-40 per cent of the market are always going to claim more attention than those with 5 or 10 per cent of it. The same is true in any other industry.
09-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Canon are the #1 imaging company worldwide and no mainstream website or retailer can afford to ignore their products.
Oh yes, and they do a lot of "me too" products, that appeals to people who cannot live without being surround by a group otherwise they feel not secure. You know , some people don't like risk and knowing that a lot of people buy canon is reassuring (what's called the social proof). Except that they do like parent to feet babies who won't swallow bad tasting pills. Canon build their image of high performance/high quality gear with a few models like the 1Dx and 5D series and 7D series, and make you swallow the el cheapo. I've seen with my own eye when the T3i wont lock focus with a 18-55 kit lens, even after trying 10 times , which I never experience with any Pentax gear. But... the mass marketing will just sink the bugs under water.

I already had a Canon, and when I upgraded, I compared to Nikon and Pentax. Pentax was the most rugged for the price range. For the same price as Pentax in Nikon and Canon mounts were the el cheapo plastic gear, it took pictures, but if you were accidentally caught by bad weather and have a slight rain you would just dispose the Canikon and buy a new one, or just let the Pentax dry and keep shooting.

---------- Post added 22-09-16 at 21:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
This and the above mentioned is probably more important to a newbie in their purchasing decision as they wouldn't know anything about sensor design, dynamic range etc etc so it wouldn't feature in their buying decision
Oh yes, Canon sell to a lot of people who know nothing at all. You have people walking the door of the shop and asking the salesman " what brand do you recommend...?" and the answer to this question depends how much back margin the sales guy gets from Canon or Nikon. I consider that during the boom of DSLR, 80% of canon sales were initially to people who knew nearly nothing about camera gear and just purchased based on a vague brand name recommendation.

And... worse! One guy from where I work tried a Pentax K3 , and compared the specs and price with Canon 70D. He concluded that the Pentax was better. But he bought the Canon, just because his friends had a Canon. This guy did not know about lenses etc etc.. He basically had more trust in the brand name, that's about it.
09-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh yes, and they do a lot of "me too" products, that appeals to people who cannot live without being surround by a group otherwise they feel not secure. You know , some people don't like risk and knowing that a lot of people buy canon is reassuring (what's called the social proof). Except that they do like parent to feet babies who won't swallow bad tasting pills. Canon build their image of high performance/high quality gear with a few models like the 1Dx and 5D series and 7D series, and make you swallow the el cheapo. I've seen with my own eye when the T3i wont lock focus with a 18-55 kit lens, even after trying 10 times , which I never experience with any Pentax gear. But... the mass marketing will just sink the bugs under water.

I already had a Canon, and when I upgraded, I compared to Nikon and Pentax. Pentax was the most rugged for the price range. For the same price as Pentax in Nikon and Canon mounts were the el cheapo plastic gear, it took pictures, but if you were accidentally caught by bad weather and have a slight rain you would just dispose the Canikon and buy a new one, or just let the Pentax dry and keep shooting.

---------- Post added 22-09-16 at 21:37 ----------

I'm delighted that you have found a camera you are happy with. Most Canon-owners clearly think the same, as do most Oly-owners, Nikon-owners, Fuji-owners, etc - so almost everyone is satisfied, aren't they? In fact it is quite hard to see why anyone should have an argument about it. They're happy, 'nuff said.