Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Nikon d7200 autofocus vs k3

Hey! I'm wondering if anybody out there has both of these cameras? As far as autofocus goes, does one outperform the other in certain situations or under certain conditions? I have 2 k3's. I'm considering selling one of these and getting another camera. I take a lot of pictures of my 3yr old and his friends, so it's a lot jerky movements that I'm dealing both inside and outside. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

11-05-2016, 06:54 PM   #2

My K-50 keeps up with my toddler. What lenses are you using? The faster the better for keeping up with all the movement.
11-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
amp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GolNat Quote
My K-50 keeps up with my toddler. What lenses are you using? The faster the better for keeping up with all the movement.
Some of the lenses I use are 70 + 35 2.4, as well as the 18-135. They all do well on my k3s. I'm just curious if the Nikon performs as well or maybe even better?
11-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
Some of the lenses I use are 70 + 35 2.4, as well as the 18-135. They all do well on my k3s. I'm just curious if the Nikon performs as well or maybe even better?
Nikon is definitely better if you want to push the system to its limits, but for toddlers I don't think that's really the case. I'd focus on lenses rather than swapping the body. The new 55-300mm PLM is pretty quick to focus, as is the 18-135mm you have.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-06-2016, 12:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.
Since the subject is going to be kids, another option would be a camera with very good face detection AF. I'd look into something like a Sony A5100/A6000 with just the Sony SEL 18-55 f3.5-5.6 kit lens, which is quite decent. The face detection autofocus of NEX/Alpha works great.

Alternatively, just start shooting your K-3 in live view with face detection turned on when kids are around. The K-3 face detection in live view works too, albeit not as well as it does in Sony mirrorless.
11-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey! I'm wondering if anybody out there has both of these cameras? As far as autofocus goes, does one outperform the other in certain situations or under certain conditions? I have 2 k3's. I'm considering selling one of these and getting another camera. I take a lot of pictures of my 3yr old and his friends, so it's a lot jerky movements that I'm dealing both inside and outside. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.
Back when we had toddlers in our family, my primary camera was the MF Pentax Super Program - and I managed to keep up. Of course, I've never been a fan of "subject isolation" {I prefer to record my subject in context} so a reasonable deep DOF was my friend.

Last edited by reh321; 11-07-2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: fix spelling
11-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Overall the D7200 is going to give you a few more keepers if AF-C is what you are looking for. Part of that is definitely the AF speed of the glass. I have a Sony A7II with face detection and as Rawr mentions that is a really good feature if you are shooting kids. My percentage of shots with sharp eyes goes way up when using that camera for kids. Face detection is a really nice feature and Sony currently has the best implementation. The A6300 or A6500 are both really quick. The D7200 is good, but its not as good as Sony mirrorless. I don't know if the D7200 is going to give you enough of an improvement over the K-3 to justify dealing with a second system and all the problems that go with that. With the right AF setting the k-3 can handle kid without too much trouble if you have it setup right. F/1.4 is probably out of the question, but keep it at F/4 so you have the DoF to deal with a little movement and you should bee fine. Do you have the K-3 AF setup correctly? A lot of people set it up wrong, because Ricoh is kind of cryptic about how to get the most out of it.

11-07-2016, 09:16 PM   #8
amp

Original Poster
Thanks for advice and opinions. As far as live view goes, I just used it for the very first time the other day. I'd have to actually read my manual to find out some of the particulars. With regards to my setup, I have it set to either to afs/afc mostly with spot focusing depending on the situation. I also have a few other adjustments made deeper in the menu. I guess my biggest problem is catching my son looking at the camera. It's not a camera problem but a me problem. He, just like every other young child, is skittish. Thus, it's tough to get him in focus all the time.
Thanks again
11-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I guess my biggest problem is catching my son looking at the camera. It's not a camera problem but a me problem. He, just like every other young child, is skittish. Thus, it's tough to get him in focus all the time.
Thanks again

Look, that's the biggest challenge.

No $2000 Nikon D500 makes your son turn around and put on a memorable expression and hold it.

That's up to you as a photographer and a father.