Nikon cutting 10% of its work force

11-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh...Nikon is dooomed!
11-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If they are doing 1000 in Japan, where it is harder to sack workers, I wonder what they are going to do to their operations in China and Thailand ...
11-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If they are doing 1000 in Japan, where it is harder to sack workers, I wonder what they are going to do to their operations in China and Thailand ...
Probably just pay them less. Also hard to do in Japan.

11-07-2016, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hiring 10,000 . . .
11-07-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
amp

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hiring 10,000 . . .
Love that cynicism.....sad but true!
11-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's not the way multinational fabrication is typically structured.

Yes there is a plant and employees that fabricate Nikon products in China and Thailand but the actual formal agreement is usually a third party relationship in which the employees are not legally or in any other sense "Nikon" employees. So even if they laid off most of "their" overseas employees Nikon would not be required to acknowledge this layoff as a "Nikon" layoff to their shareholders for instance.

Last edited by wildman; 11-08-2016 at 06:45 AM.
11-08-2016, 04:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is probably what needed to happen. Nikon has been geared towards the market of five years ago, when cameras were flying off the shelf. Now, smart phones have made serious inroads to point and shoot and bridge camera markets and people aren't upgrading their SLRs as often and they need to back down production.

It probably should have happened a couple of years ago, but I suppose they were hopeful that it was more world wide recession that was pushing down camera sales and not a new normal.
11-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

This isn't surprising considering the sales numbers we have been reading for months. We will probably more of the same from others in the industry if it hasn't happened already.
11-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I suppose they were hopeful that it was more world wide recession that was pushing down camera sales and not a new normal.
That's where savvy marketing people come in - any damn fool can read data but it takes insight to know what the data means for the enterprise in the long run.
11-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
That's where savvy marketing people come in - any damn fool can read data but it takes insight to know what the data means for the enterprise in the long run.

They usually know.

But having the data, a large company usually doesn't have agility to deal with rapid changes in trends like that. It may have too much invested in the current patterns, or the Innovators Dilemma, a board too afraid to kill what's still successful today.

Niche companies can be wiped out overnight or evolve quickly and survive.
11-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
They usually know.

But having the data, a large company usually doesn't have agility to deal with rapid changes in trends like that. It may have too much invested in the current patterns, or the Innovators Dilemma, a board too afraid to kill what's still successful today.

Niche companies can be wiped out overnight or evolve quickly and survive.
There have been multiple threads in the forum (and most likely elsewhere) on declining camera sales for well over a year. I'm sure it has been equally discussed in the corporate boardrooms with as many different opinions as we see here. In most cases, the biggest reason that brings on layoffs is unsold inventory. I don't know how much of the Nikon product line is made in Japan and which products are affected. I was surprised to read about the release of the new D5600 and that it's not going to be sold in the US. Is the US market that bad right now?

Another thought. We have heard the reports that some of Nikon's facilities were badly damaged in the earthquakes earlier this year. Perhaps some of this is simply that the damage is so bad that they can't repair. That's no consolation to the 10K who are out of a job. But add the earthquake on top of declining sales and there is kind of a perfect storm brewing.
11-12-2016, 01:51 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
In most cases, the biggest reason that brings on layoffs is unsold inventory
But the direct cause of that is sales not up to expectation, and that has many reasons.

Serious consequences, though ... someone as cashed up as Samsung couldn't turn a profit in cameras and recently exited the industry.
11-12-2016, 04:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
sales not up to expectation, and that has many reasons
Perhaps because they confused a person who wants an image with a person who wants a camera?
11-12-2016, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure I'm not alone in seriously hoping that Nikon weather this more or less intact and are not snapped up by Sony or somebody - the competition that drives innovation is vital to the photography market (and hence consumers), and Nikon are big players in pushing the limits.