Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Nikon 7200 vs Pentax K70

Hello guys. I face the choice: buy new a Pentax camera or change the system. Therefore, I am looking for your advice.

Originally, I wanted to buy a Pentax K-3 II. I really like Pentax. However, buying this camera means to overpay ($400+). For the same sum of money, I could buy Nikon 7200 and very nice lens. But in fact, to substitute all my lenses with Nikon ones will cost me much more money than buying K-3II. Anyway, I still don't want to overpay too much. I have read some reviews on K70. Looks like it could be a good option.
What would you buy: 7200 or K70 (considering that in Russia they have the same price) Please forget for a while that you are pentaxians in order to be objective)

11-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They are not really comparable. The D7200 is in the same class as the K-3 II and the K-70 is a low to mid range camera. In the US the D7200 costs more than a K-3 II, so if you can get one for $400 less than a K-3 II that is a good deal...
11-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They are not really comparable. The D7200 is in the same class as the K-3 II and the K-70 is a low to mid range camera.
Yes, I know. But in fact 7200 doesnエt have so much advantages over K70. Focus points, battery, bigger RAW buffer. What else? On the other hand K70 is newer, has articulated screen and according to the reviews k70 offers one of the best image quality among DSRL
11-14-2016, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kuzma Quote
What else?
Superior flash integration, AF performance (its not just about number of focus points), and build. As for image quality for RAW, I would not expect much difference.

Steve

11-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the other hand K70 is newer, has articulated screen and according to the reviews k70 offers one of the best image quality among DSRL
Newer generation camera than the 7200. So despite it being a "consumer" camera rather "prosumer" like K-3II it performs better in some ways and has newer features.

What camera are you replacing? One other thing to think about is batteries if you have spares. K-50 batteries I think work in K-70. But K-3II uses same battery as the K-7 and K-5. Different model line.

Personally I would stick with Pentax, but no one but you can decide in your situation everyone has different budget and needs. I doubt you will see much difference in real word image quality to be honest. So go with what works for you.
11-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #6

Hello guys. I face the choice: buy new a Pentax camera or change the system. Therefore, I am looking for your advice.

Originally, I wanted to buy a Pentax K-3 II. I really like Pentax. However, buying this camera means to overpay ($400+). For the same sum of money, I could buy Nikon 7200 and very nice lens. But in fact, to substitute all my lenses with Nikon ones will cost me much more money than buying K-3II. Anyway, I still don't want to overpay too much. I have read some reviews on K70. Looks like it could be a good option.
What would you buy: 7200 or K70 (considering that in Russia they have the same price) Please forget for a while that you are pentaxians in order to be objective)
K-70 is a much better landscape, stills, macro camera than D7200 thanks to it's articulating screen, and has better live view implementation. The D7200 is better for action, wildlife and sports with more AF points, advanced subject tracking, more buffer and more importantly large number of dedicated buttons & switches (like the K-3 II).

Also note that the K-70 has stabilization in body, so any lens attached will be stabilized, while the focusing of D7200 will be much more practical than K-70 for fast action of birds, wildlife, sports.

base your decision on the type of photography, and also the type of lenses you will need & what quality/price the company is demanding (original or 3rd party), then calculate the total cost.

All the fast AF points, tracking, burst, buffer wont be used in stills & neither will the articulating screen and live view features for most action shots.
11-14-2016, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
K-70 is a much better landscape, stills, macro camera than D7200 thanks to it's articulating screen, and has better live view implementation. The D7200 is better for action, wildlife and sports with more AF points, advanced subject tracking, more buffer and more importantly large number of dedicated buttons & switches (like the K-3 II).

Also note that the K-70 has stabilization in body, so any lens attached will be stabilized, while the focusing of D7200 will be much more practical than K-70 for fast action of birds, wildlife, sports.

base your decision on the type of photography, and also the type of lenses you will need & what quality/price the company is demanding (original or 3rd party), then calculate the total cost.

All the fast AF points, tracking, burst, buffer wont be used in stills & neither will the articulating screen and live view features for most action shots.

All great points mentioned above.

Get Nikon if you do birds in flight, or other fast action subjects.

Get Pentax for anything else.

11-14-2016, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon lacks focus peaking also if that matters to you.
11-15-2016, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

What camera are you replacing? One other thing to think about is batteries if you have spares. K-50 batteries I think work in K-70. But K-3II uses same battery as the K-7 and K-5. Different model line.

Personally I would stick with Pentax, but no one but you can decide in your situation everyone has different budget and needs. I doubt you will see much difference in real word image quality to be honest. So go with what works for you.
Thanks for your reply, jatrax!
Now I use Samsung GX20, a clone of Pentax K20. I really love it, very good camera. But when I see what can do most of modern cameras at low light I realize that GX20 is really out of date. So, actually, any camera would be a good upgrade for me)

---------- Post added 11-15-16 at 10:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote

Thanks for a great answer! Well, mostly I do portraits and landscapes, especially at low light. Looks like K70 will be the best choice for me. I heard that it is very good in high ISO.
11-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kuzma Quote
k70 will be the best choice for me
yes! !
11-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Well, one thing is for sure. The D7200 has a pretty awesome autofocus system. I don't have a K-70 to compare, but the D7200's AF is leaps & bounds better than my K-50's AF. The K-70 has better AF than the K-50 as well, as far as what I can gather from K-5II/5IIs, K-S2, & K-70 reviews, but it's not as good as the D7200's AF.

The K-70 will more than likely beat the D7200 at image quality, though. Then you have pixel shift to boot. The K-70 has IBIS which stabilizes any lens mounted on it. The D7200 relies on lens stabilization or having to shoot with a shutter speed matching the focal length of the lens to avoid motion blur when shooting hand held. The K-70 has a flippy screen too. This is a plus or a negative, depending on how you see it.

I don't know how badly you need to get a camera, but I suggest that you wait for the next generation APS-C flagship from Pentax. I'm guessing that its AF will more than likely outperform the D7200's AF. Chances are that it will also get 5-axis image stabilization too. The IQ should be as good or even better than the K-70's IQ. If your current K10D Samsung clone still works fine, keep using it.
11-15-2016, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I would choose based on the lenses you have and the ones you would need to acquire if you switched systems. Glass should really be the driver of your decision. If you like the glass you own now, then it would probably be better to stick with Pentax. If you don't own too much, then Nikon makes more sense based on the country you live in.

Last edited by Rondec; 11-15-2016 at 03:43 PM.
11-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Go for a K-70, you know you want it.
11-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote

I don't know how badly you need to get a camera, but I suggest that you wait for the next generation APS-C flagship from Pentax. I'm guessing that its AF will more than likely outperform the D7200's AF. Chances are that it will also get 5-axis image stabilization too. The IQ should be as good or even better than the K-70's IQ. If your current K10D Samsung clone still works fine, keep using it.
Nice point. But I can't even begin to imagine how much it will cost here. The price policy of Ricoh in Russia is quite crazy, I wrote on this forum about it before. But may be I will really wait a bit.

---------- Post added 11-16-16 at 10:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Go for a K-70, you know you want it.
Of course ha-ha)) Because it is PENTAX

---------- Post added 11-16-16 at 11:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I would choose based on the lenses you have and the ones you would need to acquire if you switched systems. Glass should really be the driver of your decision. If you like the glass you own now, then it would probably be better to stick with Pentax. If you don't own too much, then Nikon makes more sense based on the country you live in.
I am absolutely satisfied with my current lenses. The problem is that K-3 II is overpriced here. Thats why I have started thinking of buying the same class camera from another brand.
11-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice point. But I can't even begin to imagine how much it will cost here. The price policy of Ricoh in Russia is quite crazy, I wrote on this forum about it before.
Does Ricoh sell in Russia, Kuzma, or is it a local company that acts as an importer setting the wholesale price?

That's the situation here in Australia.