Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2016, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
so... anyone got the dji mavic?

with the introduction of dji mavic drone... I finally ordered one from adorama. it's foldable and small size finally push me into the world of drone. I also think mastering drone photography will be a valuable skill set to have.

I mentioned in another post that K1 is still very much what I would love to have, but I sometimes still go back and forth weather to get it or not (lens choices and the medium format lures...). But drone is completely different, offer a totally different pov that I probably never get with dslr.

anyway... can we have a drone subforum here? or anyone know a friendly drone forum?

however, mavic is so hot in demand that I ordered in 9/30 still not sure when I will get mine.

11-15-2016, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been thinking the same about getting into drones, though have been sitting on the fence on which one to go for. Both the DJI Mavic and the Go Pro Karma looked to be the direction to head. Next thing you know there's a delay to the release of the Mavic and the Karma's are being recalled.

In many ways DJI have the edge, particularly around the sensor systems to protect the drone itself as well as the camera systems that won't result in the fisheye look of the Go Pros. To add to the issue DJI just released a Pro version of the Phantom 4 and a v2 for the Inspire. I'd love to aim for the Inspire 2, but that's a lot of coin, so the Mavic/Karma/Phantom 4 are the most likely options for me when I can jump in. I um, kind of spent up on the K-1 and some new zooms for it. No regrets in doing that though.

And I too am interested in a drone thread in the forums as it seems that pro photographers are now often videographers and drone operators.

Hope you get your Mavic soon or at least before Christmas.

Tas
11-15-2016, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

DJI are very impressive product developers. They just keep on pumping out lots of interesting and innovative stuff for consumers and pros.

The Mavic Pro is an incredible little bundle, and the new Phantom 4 Pro (with a 1 inch 20MP camera - ie the RX 100 sensor in a drone) is also chock full of great technologies. All their Osmo gimbals seem very handy too.

I also like the look of the Vantage Robotics Snap:

and the Parrot Disco:

The future evolution of drones over the next few years is going to be awesome.

Last edited by rawr; 11-15-2016 at 08:03 PM.
11-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Did I hear..drone talk?

As of today...check out the new Inspire 2 and Phantom 4 Pro.
Along with the Mavic, I'd say DJI won the Drone Wars.

Game over.

11-15-2016, 11:39 PM   #5

Was looking at both this and the Go Pro. Considering the Go Pro recall, guess it's the Mavic.
11-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I'd say DJI won the Drone Wars
Certainly looks that way. They seem to be setting the standards and defining the market.
11-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aero photography is what draw me into drone, but one can only trust half of what the manufacturers (including DJI) claim about their performance in battery, range, camera IQ and support service. The range and battery time are very limited unless you are in an open area and warm fine weather.

It is an expensive endeavor to pursuit, not just the parts are expensive and you can write off the entire drone easily in an accident. I lost 2 drones so far, one due to WiFi range over water and the other also due to signal lost when flying around an iron bridge. I also know people got warning from Transport Canada after thier drones "flew away" or have to pay damages caused by their drone!

The footage & photos are awesome when you got everythings right though.

Attached Images

Last edited by MJL; 11-16-2016 at 10:42 AM.
11-16-2016, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now that I'm all pentaxed out (ie...don't need anymore stuff, yep, it's possible) it's something I hope to explore over the next 12 months..... the K-1 cash stash secret fund is now a Phanton 4 pro fund.... but starting from a low base.

Last edited by noelpolar; 11-16-2016 at 12:57 PM.
11-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Aero photography is what draw me into drone, but one can only trust half of what the manufacturers (including DJI) claim about their performance in battery, range, camera IQ and support service. The range and battery time are very limited unless you are in an open area and warm fine weather.

It is an expensive endeavor to pursuit, not just the parts are expensive and you can write off the entire drone easily in an accident. I lost 2 drones so far, one due to WiFi range over water and the other also due to signal lost when flying around an iron bridge. I also know people got warning from Transport Canada after thier drones "flew away" or have to pay damages caused by their drone!

The footage & photos are awesome when you got everythings right though.
ya.... that's what I am afraid of right now - lost my drone. lol. anyway... I don't plan to use it doing crazy thing. And going slow.

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Now that I'm all pentaxed out (ie...don't need anymore stuff, yep, it's possible) it's something I hope to explore over the next 12 months..... the K-1 cash stash secret fund is now a Phanton 4 pro fund.... but starting from a low base.
yeap. The other gadget that Ricoh/Pentax has that is really unique is the Theta - I think if they make it more rugged, WR - a 360 version of gopro action camera that would be a very unique gadget. As I think the 360 picture and video thing is really catching up in VR. I am waiting for a Theta with a better specs Theta S is decent, but if they can make at least 2K and 60fps, 1080 and 120fps that would be very desirable. I hope Ricoh continue to make Theta great (other 360 camera in the market looks bad compare to Theta, sizewise).
11-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll admit to a polite interest in the Mavic. However the durability of folding mechanism is an area of concern.
11-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the durability of folding mechanism
The Mavic FAQ claims:
"The folding mechanism has been tested to last at least 5000 folds. It is unlikely that it will wear out during the Mavic’s lifetime."

I am more worried about the durability of the gimbal. It's tiny, and very exposed.
11-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'll admit to a polite interest in the Mavic. However the durability of folding mechanism is an area of concern.
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The Mavic FAQ claims:
"The folding mechanism has been tested to last at least 5000 folds. It is unlikely that it will wear out during the Mavic’s lifetime."

I am more worried about the durability of the gimbal. It's tiny, and very exposed.
yea. tbh their product warranty is a bit on the low end (from reading their customer experiences).... but as Pentax user, we probably used to that.
12-12-2016, 12:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Mavic Pro looks so cool, but I can't justify the $$$.
12-12-2016, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
The Mavic Pro looks so cool, but I can't justify the $$$.
Me too.

I had a pre-order in for the Mavic 'Fly More' kit, but cancelled the order recently. In a sense the LONG wait for pre-order deliveries was helpful. I realised that at the moment I should put the $ towards other priorities. Maybe sometime in 2017 I will revisit the drone issue though. They do open up a lot of useful photographic opportunities, particularly compact, high-quality ones like the Mavic.
12-22-2016, 01:20 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I am also dreaming of having a dji-mavic