Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Thinking of Selling K-01 and switching to Sony Alpha 6000--thoughts?

My current lineup is my K5ii; K-01; and Ricoh GR. My Gr is my walkaround camera and my K5ii is my "serious" camera. Out of the 3, I barely use the K-01, mainly due to the slow focusing, lack of EVF, and slow burst rate. I am thinking of selling thew K-01 and some legacy lenses and going with the Sony Alpha 6000. While I love my little ricoh, the fixed focal length is often limiting, and I would like something with a little more reach and that is more "kid -friendly" (high burst rate) when out with the family.

Haven't seen too many reviews here on the Sony 6000.

Thoughts?

11-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 has a lot going for it, but it's focusing is just too slow and nearly impossible in low lighting. I can understand why it might be a little frustrating to use.
11-22-2016, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the look of the A6000. Depending on the deals (if any) during Black Friday, I may spring for either an A6000 or an original A7 (not the MkII) myself - in both cases, to use with legacy K-mount and M42 glass, as well as my A-mount lenses (using the LA-EA4 adapter).

The only real downside I see the to the A6000 (and the A7, for that matter), is the compressed RAW images. Alongside my Pentax gear, I shoot with a Sony A99-based Hasselblad HV, and I've taken several shots where I notice compression artefacts at high contrast edges, as well as a lot of noise in recovered shadows (both issues are pretty well documented in various web forums, but I experienced them independently - so don't believe those who say you'll never encounter it in real world shooting; I have ).

There's not much you can do about the high-contrast edge artefacts, and when it happens, it's usually not readily visible at normal viewing and printing sizes (except, perhaps, with star-trail photographs and the like - then, it can be a real problem). The noisy shadows is another matter entirely... You need to recognise when it may be an issue, and shoot multiple exposures to blend later. Regardless of camera, this usually gives a better result than pulling up shadows or exposure significantly in post-processing, but it's not always an option - especially with moving subjects, for example.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-22-2016 at 11:31 AM.
11-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love my A6000 for its' size, Zeiss lenses (much slower focus with them) but it has no in-body OS, weak battery and insane manual layout. It cannot replace a good dSLR system for sure.

11-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

a6000 won't disappoint you it's a hell of a camera for it's size. Here is a thread of sony a6000 shot on this forum
11-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the lack of stabilization could be a bigger issue than you might expect - unless your plan is just to get one with a stabilized zoom and be done with it.

Which brings the other question, what lenses are you planning on buying? Are you going to also buy a flash? Add it all up and see if it's worth spending that money, or if it makes more sense to get something like a K3 and another lens or two.

I know the A6000 is a good camera - I have a friend who has one - but you're not just buying a camera, you're buying into a system, and you need to consider what is available in that system and what you're going to end up needing. If you want to maintain another system, go for it...
11-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I would like something with a little more reach and that is more "kid -friendly" (high burst rate) when out with the family.
The excellent face detection of Sony will be very useful then, That's what I like about NEX. Great family snappers - good face detection, flippy screen, compact and discreet.

IMHO, downsides of A6000 are un-exceptional low-light AF (merely 0-20 EV), no external microphone inputs, crappy Sony 'multi-interface shoe' flash support, short battery life.

11-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
crappy Sony 'multi-interface shoe' flash support
what's crappy about it?
11-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Haven't seen too many reviews here on the Sony 6000.Thoughts?
The Internet is crawling with reviews, including quite a few on YouTube. Google is your friend.
11-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
what's crappy about it?
The connection points seem fiddly, and 3rd party support is lacking. I also dislike the fact that Sony keeps on issuing new proprietary connectors with every new camera series. My Smart Accessory Terminal gear for NEX (like the Sony stereo mic, for example, I used on NEX), won't work with this new connector. Sony is a master of built-in obsolescence.
11-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

what's crappy about it?
Well, for starters, SS, you can't put a standard (ie Pentax or Canon or Nikon) flash or wireless trigger on it.

You're up for an adapter.

Clearly a mistake, since I think Sony only puts standard hotshoes on recent releases.
11-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, for starters, SS, you can't put a standard (ie Pentax or Canon or Nikon) flash or wireless trigger on it.

You're up for an adapter.

Clearly a mistake, since I think Sony only puts standard hotshoes on recent releases.
A standard shoe fits and works. Ive used my pentax, minolta, vivitar 385 in manual mode

---------- Post added 11-22-16 at 08:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The connection points seem fiddly, and 3rd party support is lacking. I also dislike the fact that Sony keeps on issuing new proprietary connectors with every new camera series. My Smart Accessory Terminal gear for NEX (like the Sony stereo mic, for example, I used on NEX), won't work with this new connector. Sony is a master of built-in obsolescence.
I agree that the NEX 3, 5, 5N, 5R, C3, F3 flash mount was the worst flash mount. The Multishoe on A6000 is fine and has some good third party support from Metz Godox Phottix Nissin Bolt Sunpak

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 11-22-2016 at 06:42 PM.
11-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My current lineup is my K5ii; K-01; and Ricoh GR. My Gr is my walkaround camera and my K5ii is my "serious" camera. Out of the 3, I barely use the K-01, mainly due to the slow focusing, lack of EVF, and slow burst rate. I am thinking of selling thew K-01 and some legacy lenses and going with the Sony Alpha 6000. While I love my little ricoh, the fixed focal length is often limiting, and I would like something with a little more reach and that is more "kid -friendly" (high burst rate) when out with the family.

Haven't seen too many reviews here on the Sony 6000.

Thoughts?
The relatively new Panasonic GX80/85 sounds pretty nice and has stabilization. Quite compact. Whether it compares favourably with the Sony I don't know though being newer it probably does quite well. Slightly smaller sensor but in practice probably not much difference except in low light when bigger sensors do better. Better video at a guess. On offer over here so quite tempting for the price. Panasonic make some pretty nice lenses though I don't know how the standard kit lens fares - probably not that well it it's like most kit lenses. But it depends on how it feels and handles for you versus the Sony cameras, for a start. The Panasonic's EVF seems an issue for some folks (think it may be 16:9 for some reason). Just a thought. The Oly EM10 Mark II is more like a conventional camera but gets high marks from plenty of folks. That one is fairly modestly priced.
11-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Panasonic GX80/85 sounds pretty nice and has stabilization. Quite compact. Whether it compares favourably with the Sony I don't know though
While the APS-C sized sensor of the A6000 is certainly a strength of the A6000 (in terms of better signal to noise and dynamic range), some of these Panasonics - like the GX80/85, the G7 etc - have great features that the A6000 just can't match. Aside from in-body stabilisation, they also have 4K video support, and incredible (-4 EV) low-light autofocus capability, plus a better EVF etc.

Very recently, I was greatly tempted by the Panasonic G7, but cleared that camera from my shopping cart only because I don't want to buy into yet another system.
11-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

A standard shoe fits and works. Ive used my pentax, minolta, vivitar 385 in manual mode ... I agree that the NEX 3, 5, 5N, 5R, C3, F3 flash mount was the worst flash mount. The Multishoe on A6000 is fine and has some good third party support from Metz Godox Phottix Nissin Bolt Sunpak
Apologies, the earlier variants was what I was thinking of.

Trouble with the A6000's multishoe can be fixed by rubbing off paint:

The Sony a6000 Hotshoe connectivity guide: Sony Alpha / Nex E-mount (APS-C) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review