Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Carrying heavy camera by tripod socket??

I have a Bronica ETRSi and the motor drive. At about five pounds this is quite a heavy combination! I use a Black Rapid sling with my Pentax K 5 and battery grip; the sling is very convenient. As most of you probably know the sling attaches to the camera's tripod socket. There have been discussions here and there whether or not a given camera's tripod socket is strong enough to support the full weight of the camera, since in some cases - such as a TLR - the camera is always upright on a tripod. Any thoughts from fellow users of heavy cameras?

01-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you seen this discussion???

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/333742...-thanks-4.html

might be worth a look

I use the Op/Tech USA utility sling and joby hand grip+ ultra plate. I have used that system on my K 3 + the big guy - Pentax 150 - 450 mm telephoto zoom and even had a monopod attached as well the zoom is 70 oz by itself.

The ultra plate allows me to use a tripod or monopod without adjusting the hand grip or sling.

the op/tech usa sling does not attach to the tripod socket but one of the upper anchors of the camera body

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-03-2017 at 12:58 PM.
01-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
have you seen this discussion???

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/333742...-thanks-4.html

might be worth a look

I use the Op/Tech USA utility sling and joby hand grip+ ultra plate. I have used that system on my K 3 + the big guy - Pentax 150 - 450 mm telephoto zoom and even had a monopod attached as well the zoom is 70 oz by itself.

The ultra plate allows me to use a tripod or monopod without adjusting the hand grip or sling.

the op/tech usa sling does not attach to the tripod socket but one of the upper anchors of the camera body
Thanks! I'll scope that thread out.
01-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's all a calculated risk. It's possible that the screw won't fall out and your camera won't drop on the ground. A Google search for "sling dropped camera" was enough to convince me.

01-03-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On my K3 and K-1 I use my DFA 150-450 regularly on long walks etc hanging from the camera tripod socket via a Black Rapid Curve sling..... no issues what so ever. But then I'm a mindfull and careful person.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-03-2017 at 11:34 PM.
01-04-2017, 01:57 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
On my K3 and K-1 I use my DFA 150-450 regularly on long walks etc hanging from the camera tripod socket via a Black Rapid Curve sling..... no issues what so ever. But then I'm a mindfull and careful person.
Some times you have to do what you have decided is best for you, not what others have decided is best for you to do.

As far as I know,

(what do I know: less than I may claim but more than some people give me credit for),

noelpolar's choice is as valid as my own choice.

the original poster needs to do the research and then follow the old saying (at least where I grew up)

"You pays your money and you takes your chances"

You pays your money - Idioms by The Free Dictionary

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-04-2017 at 11:49 AM.
01-06-2017, 06:34 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it is worth:

I have added to my protective equipment. I added a Joby Camera Tether

Convertible Neck Strap: Camera strap for DSLR and Mirrorless/CSC Cameras

["Provides a backup connection between camera strap and camera for peace of mind and additional security."]

which I have attached to the upper left anchor of the camera I then attach the lockable d ring to my sling. In the case of the quick release attachment of the sling failing for any reason, the camera tether will keep the camera still attached to and supported by the cross body sling.

Hopefully I will never know if it works.

01-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I use a Cotton Carrier vest which also uses the tripod socket. A round plate attaches to your tripod socket which then slides into a slot on the vest. You're supposed to tighten the mounting screw down with an allen wrench. If properly tightened, It's not coming out. I also don't worry about the socket itself, at least on the K10D or K5 bodies, which I own. I normally will have a relatively short lens mounted on whatever camera I'm using but on occasion, I have walked around quite a bit with my big Sigma 150-500 attached without issue.

I have also used my K300/4 for extended periods on a tripod or monopod. That lens doesn't have a tripod bracket so the camera's tripod socket is holding the full weight of the camera and lens. Again no issues ever with my cameras.

With some of the very light, all plastic, entry level cameras, I would hesitate to support a lot of weight, especially while moving around. Common sense dictates that you should check the tightness of everything from time to time. When I do carry my camera on the vest, I still throw the camera strap around my neck so it the vest or mount should fail, that will be a back up as it would only fall a few inches. They also sell a tether strap with the vest. I prefer the camera strap because sometimes, I don't use the vest and it also prevents "butterfinger" drops removing and attaching the camera to the vest.