Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2017, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hasselblad's money troubles show that just because a product is outrageously expensive doesn't mean it's profitable. Low volume production of high-precision equipment is incredibly expensive as is top-notch customer service.

In the short-term, this is good news for Ricoh which should see a nice up-tick in 645Z sales from current and future Hassy customers worried about the future. In the long-term, it's going to depend on whether DJI convinces current Hassy owners & future MF buyers that Hassy is still a quality brand and isn't cutting corners under the new owners.

01-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #32
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hassy either made a poor (prior) choice of investment partner or took the only money they could get.
I think it was the last one.
01-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Haha, a flying 6x6! Cool!!!
DJI have a lot of work ahead, they have to resign a larger drone capable of carrying an MF system. I look forward to MF photos from the sky, awesome.

---------- Post added 05-01-17 at 19:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I do hope DJI treats Hasselblad well.
Not the same kind of culture, the way chinese run business is very different from the way Japanese run businesses. I used to work for the US company and we were sold to a Taiwanese company, they fired all of the US and EU based sales and marketing workforce, then they kept the customer support for one year and fired them once the Taiwanese had learned about the products, and only a small team of designers remained in the UK, also fired after 3 years. I also knew a European tomato factory and brand, purchased by a chinese company, they relocated all production in China (cheaper labor cost) , closed facilities in Europe, and continued to use the brand name to distribute the products make in china at a fraction of the cost. I bet DJI bought Hasselblad for using Hasselblad as a brand name to brand other products, I bet most MF products from Hasselblad will be discontinued in the future.

---------- Post added 05-01-17 at 19:09 ----------

Now, if you are looking at buying yourslef a Fuji GFX50 or a Hassy X1D, you'll go for the GFX50, I'm sure.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 01-05-2017 at 11:07 AM.
01-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
DJI have a lot of work ahead, they have to resign a larger drone capable of carrying an MF system. I look forward to MF photos from the sky, awesome.

---------- Post added 05-01-17 at 19:04 ----------

Not the same kind of culture, the way chinese run business is very different from the way Japanese run businesses. I used to work for the US company and we were sold to a Taiwanese company, they fired all of the US and EU based sales and marketing workforce, then they kept the customer support for one year and fired them once the Taiwanese had learned about the products, and only a small team of designers remained in the UK, also fired after 3 years. I also knew a European tomato factory and brand, purchased by a chinese company, they relocated all production in China (cheaper labor cost) , closed facilities in Europe, and continued to use the brand name to distribute the products make in china at a fraction of the cost. I bet DJI bought Hasselblad for using Hasselblad as a brand name to brand other products, I bet most MF products from Hasselblad will be discontinued in the future.

---------- Post added 05-01-17 at 19:09 ----------

Now, if you are looking at buying yourslef a Fuji GFX50 or a Hassy X1D, you'll go for the GFX50, I'm sure.
Yes, the Chinese will probably eliminate non-Chinese staff and production but so what? From all that I've seen, the Chinese are very pragmatic and will make products as high-quality or as low-cost as need be. I've know manufacturers that were surprised to find that Chinese contractors could beat the Germans on precision and quality.

If DJI thinks that the way to make the most money from Hassy is to maintain quality, precision, performance, and customer service, then they will do that. Of course, if DJI thinks Hasselblad is just label they can slap on anything, they might do that. Time will tell which road DJI takes.

01-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I also knew a European tomato factory and brand, purchased by a chinese company, they relocated all production in China (cheaper labor cost) , closed facilities in Europe, and continued to use the brand name to distribute the products make in china at a fraction of the cost.

Nothing new here. It's exactly how the international market system is supposed to work. It has little to do with any national culture and everything to do with the internal corporate culture of multinational trade. International trade is essentially a form of war by other means where mostly the "generals" win.

Last edited by wildman; 01-05-2017 at 09:15 PM.
01-05-2017, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not a Chinese/Swedish camera?

I think we unfairly associate China with Walmart cheap, which isn't really true any more. Volvo engineers, for instance, have been delighted with new Chinese owners Geely, who have given them money, support, freedom and money, unlike desperate, penny-pinching Ford. According to Car and Driver the new XC90 is a revelatory offering. I'm looking but my wife is aghast. Even though we have a Japanese/American Honda, a Japanese/American Subaru and a German/British (BMW) MINI, she can't imagine owning a Chinese/Swedish Volvo.

I pointed out that her original baby hauler was a Swedish/Canadian Volvo 240 Wagon. Didn't help.
01-05-2017, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

I think we unfairly associate China with Walmart cheap, which isn't really true any more. Volvo engineers, for instance, have been delighted with new Chinese owners Geely, who have given them money, support, freedom and money, unlike desperate, penny-pinching Ford. According to Car and Driver the new XC90 is a revelatory offering. I'm looking but my wife is aghast. Even though we have a Japanese/American Honda, a Japanese/American Subaru and a German/British (BMW) MINI, she can't imagine owning a Chinese/Swedish Volvo.

I pointed out that her original baby hauler was a Swedish/Canadian Volvo 240 Wagon. Didn't help.
Sell your wife and buy a new one who is Chinese/Swedish compatible!

01-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sell your wife and buy a new one who is Chinese/Swedish compatible!
Excellent idea. Those Scotch/ Scots-Irish Americans are awfully strong willed.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-05-2017 at 04:21 PM.
01-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it's great.

I own a ton of DJI products, and a great deal of my cinema work is done on either a DJI drone or a DJI Osmo. DJI has it going on, and while DJI's customer service is terrible, they have a thirst for innovation and technical progress. Whatever DJI has in store for Hasselblad, I would watch them closely.

With the new Inspire 2, and the workflow of the new cameras coming out, I think DJI is about to make a RED killer with the Hasselblad brain trust.

Pentax/Ricoh - whatever you do, make sure you invest in video.
With DJI entering the "serious" camera market, you might have a very capable player snatching up market share.

DJI is the new Apple.
01-05-2017, 04:12 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
DJI is the new Apple.
Isnt one enough?....Or is one a day too many?

DJI entering the "serious" camera market, you might have a very capable player snatching up market share.

It was inevitable that the successful Chinese business sector launched into the ICL sector, they have to put that profit somewhere! YI have entered the M43 format recently which is a wait and see scenario.It wouldn't surprise me to see more "acquisitions" as time goes by.

Looking forward to the djiH footage of Half Moon Bay!
01-05-2017, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent idea. Those Scotch/Irish Americans are awfully strong willed.
Scots-Irish. Scotch is a drink
01-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DJI's customer service is terrible,

DJI is the new Apple.
While Apple's customer service is far from perfect, it's one of the things that distinguishes them for me from other businesses. My stuff tends to get fixed, and back to me quickly. Someone earlier mentioned Hasselblad's commitment to customer service, so, I'm not sure the comparison is...apt.
01-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #43
Pentaxian

They laughed when Hoya bought Pentax...
01-05-2017, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
They laughed when Hoya bought Pentax...
I recall that going pretty badly, all things considered. Ricoh really saved the brand.
01-05-2017, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Maybe the K-5 had also something to do with saving Pentax. That was under Hoya. Without Sony sensors Pentax would be dead and buried.