Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2017, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hasselblad Acquired By DJI - the drone maker

QuoteQuote:
Perry, is a brilliant man and really believed in his new products and especially the team that was behind him. He was in a jam. Hasselblad, needed money to produce the cameras that photographers were ordering. They went to the investors (The VC firm) and asked for money but they didn’t have any more to give. At this point I can imagine that all these investors wanted was the payout. Not having much choice, Hasselblad had to look for a source of mone. They found that source in DJI. We all know DJI as the wildly successful Chinese drone manufacturer.

Hasselblad still needed to stay afloat. The investors wanted their money and they were not willing to contribute any more to this cause. What now?

Simple, the minority shareholder becomes the majority shareholder. DJI now owns the majority share of Hasselblad. You heard me right. This information has come from numerous, reliable sources. Hasselblad, the iconic Swedish camera company, is now owned by the Chinese drone maker DJI

Last edited by interested_observer; 01-04-2017 at 05:11 PM.
01-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shocking, but the way of the world.
01-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wow! It's either an ignominious death or a fantastic rebirth for that iconic brand. I do hope DJI treats Hasselblad well.
01-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I imagine if you had $40-$50,000 invested in Hasselblad digital bodies and lenses that you might be 'twitching' about now...

01-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, just wow...
01-04-2017, 06:07 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm never happy to see a great brand endangered like that, let's hope DJI are as supportive of Hasselblad as Ricoh have been of Pentax.

01-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Haha, a flying 6x6! Cool!!!

01-04-2017, 06:18 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm never happy to see a great brand endangered like that, let's hope DJI are as supportive of Hasselblad as Ricoh have been of Pentax.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I am about as skeptical of this as I was when VW acquired Porsche. I really hope that DJI treats Hasselblad well. On the other hand I have to admit that after reading this Hasselblad is not as attractive of a brand to me knowing that their direction is now being controlled by a Chinese company that is known for making cheap drones which take boring videos with crappy video cameras.

obin
01-04-2017, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
You took the words right out of my mouth. I am about as skeptical of this as I was when VW acquired Porsche. I really hope that DJI treats Hasselblad well. On the other hand I have to admit that after reading this Hasselblad is not as attractive of a brand to me knowing that their direction is now being controlled by a Chinese company that is known for making cheap drones which take boring videos with crappy video cameras.

obin
Given that Porsche, as a sportscar maker, began by using VW mechanicals, and that the VW Group is also responsible for Audi and Lamborghini, I wouldn't have thought such a comparison was valid. In the motorcar realm, I might have thought Proton's acquisition of Lotus was a little more like this, but that one doesn't seem to have moved Lotus down-market (except for the badging of some Proton cars as "Powered by Lotus" or the like, which is possibly described as aspirational, to put the best face on it).

Whatever the outcome for Hasselblad, Pentax 645D/Z users must be glad that Ricoh took over the brand.
01-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Given that Porsche, as a sportscar maker, began by using VW mechanicals, and that the VW Group is also responsible for Audi and Lamborghini, I wouldn't have thought such a comparison was valid.
Not to mention that Ferdinand Porsche designed the Volkswagen Beetle...(under contract from Adolph Hitler)
01-04-2017, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

VW bought Porsche as a PacMan defense to keep Porsche from buying VW*.

* Using leveraged derivatives, which threatened to make the entire enterprise insolvent. The craven transformation of DeutscheBank from quintessential conservative German lender to cynical global prop trader and deal broker enabled Porsche; hedge funds got caught short VW and bid up to cover; the deal - and VW's stock price - collapsed in the crash: everyone was ruined.

One supposes the emissions test spoof was a resultant desperation move.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-05-2017 at 04:32 AM.
01-04-2017, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
In a way back to the roots - Victor Hasselblad started his own camera design with aerial cameras for the Swedish military.
01-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Maybe one day.. Hasselblad and DJI announce 50MP medium-format drone kit: Digital Photography Review
01-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Don't look good to me.

The only "synergy" in this is the IP to sue/counter-sue and IP protection.
01-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hasselblad By DJI - the drone maker
What a weird association !