Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
GH5 a true hybrid?

The bar has been lifted,definitely great features for video enthusiasts.

How will the stills performance compare?

09-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
09-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've used it, Surfar, since my buddy owns one.

Meh, I think, as a stills camera, with pretty ordinary autofocus for such an expensive beast, and its HD video footage didn't look any different from my Pentaxes.

But it has IBIS for video, and that I appreciate, not this electronic stuff on Pentax. (Thumb down)
09-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Theres the final(announced b4 release) firmware...coming up?...or is it out?There may be some enhancements.(maybe they are all just for video)

Ive been sitting on the fence waiting, But bought a couple of DFAs to relieve the boredom!...

I've seen it for much reduced prices, so i'm tempted?kinda...

I suppose its difficult to expect stills to come anywhere close to the K-1,it sets a very high standard.Loving the walk around,it punches a long way above its weight.

09-21-2017, 01:08 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Theres the final(announced b4 release) firmware...coming up?...or is it out?There may be some enhancements.(maybe they are all just for video)

Ive been sitting on the fence waiting, But bought a couple of DFAs to relieve the boredom!...

I've seen it for much reduced prices, so i'm tempted?kinda...

I suppose its difficult to expect stills to come anywhere close to the K-1,it sets a very high standard.Loving the walk around,it punches a long way above its weight.
Sure, if I was into video as much as I am into stills, I'd have both a K-1 and a GH5 in my rolling case. Two wonderful products.

09-21-2017, 01:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Meh, I think, as a stills camera, with pretty ordinary autofocus for such an expensive beast, and its HD video footage didn't look any different from my Pentaxes.
i have a very different return on the video The quality is better in the GH5 compared to Pentax (higher bitrate, various options lacking like FPS and 4k) but mostly the connectivity is better on the GH4-5 compared to Pentax.
Definitely better at high iso too.
Sharper image.

Very good if you are in Video world, not much for the pictures i reckon !
09-21-2017, 01:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'd have both a K-1 and a GH5
Thats the combo that Kenspo uses...a couple of peeps/friends use Panasonic exclusively..

i'm keen to be a late adopter i think.

09-21-2017, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, if I was into video as much as I am into stills, I'd have both a K-1 and a GH5 in my rolling case. Two wonderful products.
Don't you know that in the future still photos will just be clipped from a 4K or 6K video stream? Still photography is dead, or at least dying!
09-21-2017, 02:45 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Don't you know that in the future still photos will just be clipped from a 4K or 6K video stream? Still photography is dead, or at least dying!
(Laughs)

Having to pick a keeper from a stream of 8Mp photos at 1/30s shutter speeds?

No thanks!

Last edited by clackers; 09-21-2017 at 04:15 AM.
09-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Still photography is dead, or at least dying!
Its funny,with media stuff increasingly going online....magazines and newspapers are dying,so the jpg grabs from 4k 6k and 8k(Panasonic have stated they will have it by Tokyo Olympics),the grabs are where many future still images will come from.

4K=8mp
6K=18mp
8K=36mp and we will get K-1 resolution from small sensored bodies.
All done in camera but only jpg,which is fine for online

Personally,ive been screen grabbing those 8mp images for instant use since 4K came in....very handy.
09-22-2017, 11:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That's a lot of money to spend, though, and you have to carry twice the bodies and lenses.

I think for me the K-30 is "good enough" for photos. Hard to justify a new $2000 body and all new lenses for the incremental improvements I would get with a K-1.

Unfortunately, the K-30 is not anywhere close for video. My next camera is very likely going to be a GH5 for the video.

In terms of stills, I'll probably keep shooting with the K-30 . K-30 is better in low light than GH5. That's somewhat expected due to the larger APS-C sensor vs MFT.

Pentax K-30 : Tests and Reviews - DxOMark
Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 : Tests and Reviews - DxOMark

Of course, K-1 tops them both by a mile for stills.
Pentax K-1 : Tests and Reviews - DxOMark

IMO, Pentax needs to make a camera like the GH5, but with their K-1 FF sensor.
Or even an APS-C sensor, still going to be better than MFT.

One of the things that impresses me the most in the GH5 is unlimited video recording, vs 16 minutes on the Pentax in HD . And 30 minutes on most other cameras due to European tax.
Panasonic really has a hit on their hands with the GH5.

Last edited by madbrain; 09-22-2017 at 11:32 PM.
09-23-2017, 01:18 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
That's a lot of money to spend, though, and you have to carry twice the bodies and lenses.

I think for me the K-30 is "good enough" for photos. Hard to justify a new $2000 body and all new lenses for the incremental improvements I would get with a K-1.

Unfortunately, the K-30 is not anywhere close for video. My next camera is very likely going to be a GH5 for the video.

In terms of stills, I'll probably keep shooting with the K-30 . K-30 is better in low light than GH5. That's somewhat expected due to the larger APS-C sensor vs MFT.

One of the things that impresses me the most in the GH5 is unlimited video recording, vs 16 minutes on the Pentax in HD . And 30 minutes on most other cameras due to European tax.
You use only one camera for all tasks, Madbrain? Ugh ... get away from me! You probably have a superzoom on it, too!

09-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You use only one camera for all tasks
Some people do that!

My next camera is very likely going to be a GH5 for the video.
Thats a great way to do video, but weigh up the cost against the lessor Panasonics(and other brands)...theres plenty of competent 4K cameras now.

Thats fair, but moving pictures and stills are quite different....big sensors do MP, but smaller ones can hold their own and be superior in some areas.The GH5 isnt a small ML cam,a FF/Apsc Pentax wont be small either which can be a disadvantage.

The unsealed Pano GX80/85 can do pretty good video,at a pretty good price.The sealed G85 likewise.Even the compact TS80/ZS60 and more recent 70/90s do a cropped 4K thats Ok.

As far as 2 sets of lenses?....Manual focus of K mounts adapted to Panasonics works just fine.
09-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You use only one camera for all tasks, Madbrain? Ugh ... get away from me! You probably have a superzoom on it, too!
No, I don't. I have a bunch of cameras, and I try to use them all, as much as possible. They all various limitations. One limitation common to almost all of them is the 30 min video recording limit.
Well, 16 min on my K-30, 5 min on my Note 4 in UHD. The only video camera I have that runs more than 30 mins is my old Canon HG21 camcorder. Which is still pretty good, but not 4K. And the picture quality is not close to a DSLR.

If I get a GH5 , I expect to use it mostly for video. Not sure how it will do for stills, but I expect it to be inferior to my Pentax K-30, especially in low light.

I do own a superzoom for my K-30 (Tamron 18-250). I use it sometimes . I have many primes too that are very light. But time and convenience to change lenses can be an issue.

I don't own any single camera that costs $2K, though. The most expensive camera I ever bought so far was that Canon HG21 that was $1000 in its days. Next is probably my Note 4 (smartphone) and K-30 at $800 each. I bought my K-30 when it first came out so paid a high price. When it was lost in Hong Kong, I bought another on ebay for $200

The K-1 costs $2K. So does the GH5. It's hard for me to justify a single $2K camera, let alone two of them.

---------- Post added 09-29-17 at 08:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Thats a great way to do video, but weigh up the cost against the lessor Panasonics(and other brands)...theres plenty of competent 4K cameras now.
Can you cite some of them ?
I have wanted >30 min recording for a long time. Almost none of them have this, except the GH5.
GH5 also has 4K/60p, which almost no one else has, and I really want to use that as well.
Lastly, >8 bit color should be very useful for my indoor video shoots to make lighting adjustment in post. With 8 bit video, it's just not possible.

QuoteQuote:
Thats fair, but moving pictures and stills are quite different....big sensors do MP, but smaller ones can hold their own and be superior in some areas.The GH5 isnt a small ML cam,a FF/Apsc Pentax wont be small either which can be a disadvantage.

The unsealed Pano GX80/85 can do pretty good video,at a pretty good price.The sealed G85 likewise.Even the compact TS80/ZS60 and more recent 70/90s do a cropped 4K thats Ok.

As far as 2 sets of lenses?....Manual focus of K mounts adapted to Panasonics works just fine.
Most of the lenses I own are DA lenses with no aperture lever, and wouldn't be usable on Panasonic AFAIK, unfortunately. At least, I couldn't find an adapter that would work for this case. I believe it would need to have aperture lever in the adapter itself, or electronic chip to control through the camera.

Thanks for the pointers to GX80/GX85, I will review them.
09-30-2017, 02:48 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The hard part seems to be that the cost of 4K video capable sensors that are APS-C and full frame in size. I guess it is easier to make smaller sensors that have fast read out speeds. I think the APS-C cameras that feature 4K video are the D500, Fuji XT-2, Sony A6500 -- not sure if there are others out there. Of those, the A6500 is probably the cheapest at 1400.

The sensor in the K-1 doesn't seem to be 4K capable. Pentax would have had to go with the A7r II sensor (if it was available to them) in order to get a more video capable sensor and that certainly would have made the K-1 a lot more pricey. I'm sure the price on those full frame sensors will come down over time, but at present cameras like the D850, A9, A7r II and D5 all seem to be really expensive options to get better video. You'd be cheaper to get a GH and K-1 then to go with one of those cameras.