Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Get the 55/1.4 and the 50-135/2.8.....two of the best lenses I've used for portraiture on Pentax DSLRs.

The DA70 isn't bad either as a budget option to the FA77. I've owned both and both render differently. I feel like the DA70 was easier because it was sharp wide open and nailed focus more often than not. The FA77 has some serious magic though...I just liked it a lot more on FF film than APS-C.

I didn't find Pentax's AF shortcomings to be all that much of a problem with portraiture....most of the time you are posing your subject and they are still. A million points isn't going to make AF any more accurate in that situation.

02-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
negative. Not with the Profoto anyways. I bought three different cactus and strobepro triggers to try that. Not to mention it's a very silly work around with multiple blobs of radios sticking up above the camera.
Including the v6 ii that a forum member has used to fire his Gooix 360 HSS?

02-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Including the v6 ii that a forum member has used to fire his Gooix 360 HSS?
don't know what to tell you, it doesn't trigger the Profoto TTL Trigger
02-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
don't know what to tell you, it doesn't trigger the Profoto TTL Trigger
Okay, that's handy to know.

Since one day I'll probably get a portable HSS strobe, I'll look at the Godox/Flashpoint stuff.

02-10-2017, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Okay, that's handy to know.

Since one day I'll probably get a portable HSS strobe, I'll look at the Godox/Flashpoint stuff.
I'd try out the Lightrein stuff as well. those strobes are pretty awesome for the price, especially compared to the Godox/Flashpoint. I was going to go with the Lightrein 600w wireless one but it was way too big compared to the B1 and portability is huge for me... at the time I had a project shooting a fashion session in the mountain rainforests.
02-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
The DA70 isn't bad either as a budget option to the FA77. I've owned both and both render differently. I feel like the DA70 was easier because it was sharp wide open and nailed focus more often than not. The FA77 has some serious magic though...I just liked it a lot more on FF film than APS-C.
I don't own the 55, but the 50-135 and the 77 and the 70 are all quite sweet for portrait work. For that matter so is the DA* 200 but the working distance gets long.

Could the love of the 77 on film have been related to format? Have you tried it on the K-1?
02-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
Get the 55/1.4 and the 50-135/2.8.....two of the best lenses I've used for portraiture on Pentax DSLRs.
I'm also toying with portraiture, currently using the *55 and Bower 85 for it. I JUST ordered the DA*50-135 early yesterday morning after some research. Your glowing endorsement has me looking forward to it even more.

02-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I'm also toying with portraiture, currently using the *55 and Bower 85 for it. I JUST ordered the DA*50-135 early yesterday morning after some research. Your glowing endorsement has me looking forward to it even more.
Wonderful lens optically.
02-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Wonderful lens optically.
Yeah, a real favourite of mine.

It has such beautiful rendering I've thought many times over the years, 'Maybe its sister, the 16-50, is just as good, and I ought to get it, too', but people don't seem to think that's the case.
02-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #25
mee
Veteran Member

Yeah, a real favourite of mine.

It has such beautiful rendering I've thought many times over the years, 'Maybe its sister, the 16-50, is just as good, and I ought to get it, too', but people don't seem to think that's the case.
mmm I have both and think the 50-135 is a 'stop' sharper easily and that it renders a little more nicely than the 16-50. That said, the 16-50 is nice, if you can find it less than retail price imo.
02-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
mmm I have both and think the 50-135 is a 'stop' sharper easily and that it renders a little more nicely than the 16-50. That said, the 16-50 is nice, if you can find it less than retail price imo.
Thanks for the info, Mee.

It would need to be better than what I use at the moment - the excellent Sigma 17-50 f2.8.

I know sharpness is not everything, but ...

Last edited by clackers; 02-10-2017 at 11:25 PM.
02-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the info, Mee.

It would have to be better than what I use at the moment - the Sigma 17-50 f2.8.

I know sharpness is not everything, but ...
Same here. I've really tried to listen to the advice from you and other well-experienced shooters.

...Except that I have bucked the advice on strobes and gone with constant lighting, sometimes augmenting with controlled natural lighting from a dormer window.. I know from reading comments here that LED lighting doesn't get many props but so far so good.
02-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Same here. I've really tried to listen to the advice from you and other well-experienced shooters.

...Except that I have bucked the advice on strobes and gone with constant lighting, sometimes augmenting with controlled natural lighting from a dormer window.. I know from reading comments here that LED lighting doesn't get many props but so far so good.
Yeah, I'm not a fan because of the lack of power (meaning can't use low ISO at f5.6 or f8), but best of luck to you!

02-11-2017, 02:15 AM   #29
JHD
Veteran Member

I'm no longer a Pentaxian but given what the OP is doing and what his needs are, IMO he's best off staying put with Pentax. Switching systems can be very expensive, especially when you go through a few systems. If you're shooting action, that would be a different story.

OTOH, I'm not into flash photography, and perhaps there may be some benefit with another brand. However, even with that in mind one still has to consider the 645z. That's one of the best cameras for the OPs line of work.
02-11-2017, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I'm not a fan because of the lack of power (meaning can't use low ISO at f5.6 or f8), but best of luck to you!
Perhaps that's why I've got a fondness for low-key?