Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Olympus Officially Ending the 4/3 Product Line

In memoriam: Olympus brings down the curtain on the Four Thirds system: Digital Photography Review

I sold my E-3 almost 10 years ago when it was obvious then it was a dead system. I hope that ending 4/3 will free up Olympus to develop a FF 4/3 mirrorless so they can finally bring all of those FF mirrorless lenses that they have patented into production.

03-11-2017, 01:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What is a FF 4/3?
03-11-2017, 02:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What is a FF 4/3?
Equivalent to the old Olympus half frame 35mm?
03-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It always seemed like the four thirds cameras were pretty pricey and very much so if you looked at their f2 zooms.

03-11-2017, 07:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What is a FF 4/3?
A sensor with a diagonal of 43mm but in the 4/3 format. The image circle of what we call FF is basically 43mm with some variation from different manufacturers. The mirrorless lenses that Olympus has been filing patents on project a 43mm image circle. The question is, is Olympus working on lenses or the Sony FE or a new larger 4/3 mirrorless. Olympus needs to go larger if they want to regain market share.
03-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
A sensor with a diagonal of 43mm but in the 4/3 format. The image circle of what we call FF is basically 43mm with some variation from different manufacturers. The mirrorless lenses that Olympus has been filing patents on project a 43mm image circle. The question is, is Olympus working on lenses or the Sony FE or a new larger 4/3 mirrorless. Olympus needs to go larger if they want to regain market share.
Would they need a new mount to do that? I guess they would need a bunch of new lenses anyway if they went that route.
03-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Would they need a new mount to do that? I guess they would need a bunch of new lenses anyway if they went that route.
Yes. The lenses in the patents are for a larger mount, but it isn't clear if they are for the Sony FE mount or a new mount. They may have been part of the Sony/Olympus deal that has since been dissolved or they might be part of a new system that Olympus is working on. Sony and Fuji have shot up to the #1 and #2 position in mirrorless sales. Olympus and Panasonic keep falling. Olympus needs to do something and really they need a larger format system. I think they will continue with 4/3 format since it appeal to a lot of people. 645 is 4/3 so adding a FF 4/3 option between M4/3 and 645 works. It would be 4x larger than their current m4/3.

03-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

All right, thanks.
I don't see them introducing a new mount (what would happen with the current one?), but who knows...
03-11-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Olympus is in a tough state. The price of larger sensor cameras (APS-C and full frame and even MF) have been dropping. At the same time, every company needs a flagship that they can get 1100 or 1200 for.

And consumers are smarter too. A 300 mm lens really is still a 300mm lens, regardless of the format you mount it on. You do get a little bit of digital zoom with higher density pixels, but it isn't the 2x difference that the micro four thirds used to bandy about. Still, as a walk around camera with nice sized glass, micro four thirds is hard to beat.
03-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You do get a little bit of digital zoom with higher density pixels, but it isn't the 2x difference that the micro four thirds used to bandy about....
Are you sure of that??

I did considerable research before I purchased my Q-7 in Dec 2014 and my K-30 in June 2015, including putting together a spreadsheet. That spreadsheet shows the diagonal of a FF sensor to be 43.3mm, while the diagonal of an MFT sensor is 21.6mm, which looks like 2:1 within rounding issues to me.
03-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Are you sure of that??

I did considerable research before I purchased my Q-7 in Dec 2014 and my K-30 in June 2015, including putting together a spreadsheet. That spreadsheet shows the diagonal of a FF sensor to be 43.3mm, while the diagonal of an MFT sensor is 21.6mm, which looks like 2:1 within rounding issues to me.
But the point is that if you are shooting with a K-1 and crop to APS-C size sensor, you have what, 15 megapixels? Basically a K5. The K3 gives a little extra pixel density over that, but it is not any 1.5x. The crop factor for MFT is 2x, it is just that that doesn't really make the lenses longer and you could easily crop a full frame image down to a four thirds frame. The only extra reach you get is whatever digital zoom you get from the fact that the pixels are closer together on smaller sensors than on full frame.
03-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Olympus needs to go larger if they want to regain market share.
I really wonder, in the long run, if bigger is better is where the camera market is going.to be in, say, 5 years.
Just my own subjective feeling but I get the sense that the next generation may be moving to smaller, lighter, faster more responsive and sophisticated gear.
Sheer raw visual technical excellence, while important, is not everything especially for the next generation.

Last edited by wildman; 03-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.
03-11-2017, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I really wonder, in the long run, if bigger is better is where the camera market is going.to be in, say, 5 years.
Just my own subjective feeling but I get the sense that the next generation may be moving to smaller, lighter, faster more responsive and sophisticated gear.
Sheer raw visual technical excellence, while important, is not everything especially for the next generation.
Bigger has been better since the dawn of photography. Small cameras have always been about practicality. The move to smaller formats as been due to limitations in technology and high costs. Technology is over coming those limitations and costs are falling making cameras based on larger sensors more affordable. Cameras are getting smaller. Look at the Sony A7 series or the Fuji GFX. The GFX and the new Hassy have reduced MF to the size of a DSLR. The A7 line puts a FF sensor in a camera body that is smaller than the Pentax K-3. Cameras are getting smaller, but the sensors are getting larger.

Sheer raw technical excellence has never really been that important. Look at the work of Henri Cartier-Bresson,Walker Evans, or Vivian Maier.
03-11-2017, 08:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Bigger has been better since the dawn of photography. Small cameras have always been about practicality.
I lack your sense of certainty - time will tell...
03-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Bigger has been better since the dawn of photography. Small cameras have always been about practicality. The move to smaller formats as been due to limitations in technology and high costs. Technology is over coming those limitations and costs are falling making cameras based on larger sensors more affordable. Cameras are getting smaller. Look at the Sony A7 series or the Fuji GFX. The GFX and the new Hassy have reduced MF to the size of a DSLR. The A7 line puts a FF sensor in a camera body that is smaller than the Pentax K-3. Cameras are getting smaller, but the sensors are getting larger.

Sheer raw technical excellence has never really been that important. Look at the work of Henri Cartier-Bresson,Walker Evans, or Vivian Maier.
Your first and last sentences could duel.