Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony FE 50 1.8 vs Sony 55 Sonnar 1.8

I recently purchased the FE 1.8 for my Sony A7ii. Initially, I wasn't going to purchase any AF lenses because my reasoning behind buying the A7ii was for use with manual lenses. Of course, the itch started and I bought the FE 1.8 to have a lens with AF for when I need it. Now, I'm wondering if I should have just bought the 55 Sonnar. The price difference is about $800, which I can sell my other kidney for, but my big concern is whether or not the price difference is really worth it. Does anyone have experience with these two lenses? Will I get $800 worth of difference, or am I better off using my manual lenses for when I want better IQ?

03-20-2017, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

My personal opinion, buy neither. If you want auto-focus, why not try the Techart Pro auto-focus adapter. You can buy a whole lot of manual-focus lenses (like the planar 1.4 50mm or 80mm, Pentax K 55 1.8, 85mm so on) and the appropriate adapters. Now you have relatively less expensive lenses and auto-focus too.

Cheers.
03-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramuk Quote
My personal opinion, buy neither. If you want auto-focus, why not try the Techart Pro auto-focus adapter. You can buy a whole lot of manual-focus lenses (like the planar 1.4 50mm or 80mm, Pentax K 55 1.8, 85mm so on) and the appropriate adapters. Now you have relatively less expensive lenses and auto-focus too.

Cheers.
Does it exist for m42 lenses? I only see Leica mount.
03-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Does it exist for m42 lenses? I only see Leica mount.
Yes. See this page.

Techart PRO Leica M – Sony E Autofocus Adapter | TECHART PRO

You are just putting an adapter on the Leica M mount...

03-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yes. See this page.

Techart PRO Leica M – Sony E Autofocus Adapter | TECHART PRO

You are just putting an adapter on the Leica M mount...
I'm assuming you have to buy one of the adapters? Does the adapter retain AF while using the other adapter with it? Any reduction in performance?
03-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm assuming you have to buy one of the adapters? Does the adapter retain AF while using the other adapter with it? Any reduction in performance?
I don't know if you have to buy one of their adapters or if any XXX-mount to Leica M will work. I'm assuming there in no degradation in performance because the adapters are glassless (at least any SLR mount adapter would be). AFAIK it operates on the same principle as the Pentax F 1.7x AF adapter.
03-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
Forum Member

Here is a whole lot of information on Techart PRO - Techart PRO FAQ - FM Forums.

Yes, you can mount m42 lenses (and most other lenses) and have autofocus. The way it works is, m42-lens -> m42-Leica-M-Adapter -->Techart-Pro --> Sony a7ii, i.e. you are stacking adapters. Since the adapters are glassless, most lenses should be see significant change in performance (lenses with floating elements may be affected).

Thanks.

03-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a whole lot of information on Techart PRO - Techart PRO FAQ - FM Forums.

Yes, you can mount m42 lenses (and most other lenses) and have autofocus. The way it works is, m42-lens -> m42-Leica-M-Adapter -->Techart-Pro --> Sony a7ii, i.e. you are stacking adapters. Since the adapters are glassless, most lenses should be see significant change in performance (lenses with floating elements may be affected).

Thanks.
Have you tried them out? If so, how's the quality/performance?
03-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
Forum Member

Have you tried them out? If so, how's the quality/performance?
I tried it for like 15mins. I tried it using a Zeiss Planar 1.4 (c/y mount) and Pentax K 85mm 1.8 lenses. I think the adapter works well for portraits. I am not sure about moving subjects, since the focus took some time (not too long though) to lock. I also think it works well for lenses that are light. Heavier lenses should pose problems since the adapter needs to move the entire lens. Similarly long-focus-throw lenses like a Vivitar 105mm 2.5 (or most macro lenses) may not be usable without some pre-focusing of the lens.
03-23-2017, 08:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the Sony/Zeiss 55mm F/1.8 for my A7II and love it. That lens is the main reason I have not gotten out of the Sony FE system. I'm sure the Sony 50mm F/1.8 is a great lens though for the money. I have heard a lot of good things about it. I would rent the 55mm for the weekend and decide for yourself. I'm a Zeiss Sonnar fan so I'm going to have a bias. I really want the Loxia 50mm but I can't justify having so many 50mm lenses for 2 different system (K-1 and Sigma 50mm).

My main love of the 55mm is the sharpness and the smooth, rapid transition between the focus and OOF areas. The 55mm transitions very fast giving the 3D pop that people like. Colors are bright and saturated with great contrast.
03-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Thanks.
I watched a lot of reviews on this adapter and while it looks pretty cool, there seem to be a lot of issues with it. It looks like something I will definitely buy when it hits second generation. For now, it's back to deciding on whether or not I want the 55 1.8 over the 50 1.8. The lens looks tempting, but I'm still not sure if it's worth the $800 premium. LBA is a hell of a drug.
04-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I had the 55....man that is the best lens I've ever used.