Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ming Thein - new Chief of Strategy for Hasselblad.

QuoteQuote:
You may be aware that earlier this year, I visited the headquarters of two companies in the camera and drone spaces: this was of course part of a greater plan. I’ve also been a little quiet on the picture-making front because behind the scenes, there’s been a lot of work going on that’s much closer to my previous profession in nature: operations and corporate strategy. I’ve recently returned from Gothenburg with a new business card and a tag to open the doors of a place I’d only imagined not so long ago. In short: I’ve been appointed the new Chief of Strategy for Hasselblad. What does this mean in practical terms – for the site, for my own work, and more importantly, for Hasselblad? I’ll attempt to answer those after the jump, along with my rationale behind accepting the offer.

03-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no kidding!
03-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Various things I have heard around the place suggest that Hasselblad are on the ropes and they know it, and I could think of nothing more suitable than to put an actual, serious MF shooter into a very high position in their company. Because corporate-suit decisions aren't going to save them any more.

Likewise if Ricoh were on the ropes, the best thing they could do would be to put someone like Ken Sporsheim in a similar position.
03-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Its seems they are trying to update their so somber aura to something more younger,fresher..When you hear Hasselblad, your mind conjures images of Victorian history,B/W old sepia portraits, and funerals..but Pentax did that , and almost sunk. Marketing is a dangerous venture, beware the perils of going overboard and looking too klepsh..

03-29-2017, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Chief of Strategy?

Like what most folks do here?
03-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
When you hear Hasselblad, your mind conjures images of Victorian history,B/W old sepia portraits, and funerals
The Hasselblad brand didn't exist during the Victorian era, which ended in 1901. Victor Hasselbald was born in 1906. It is said the first camera made by Hasselblad was commissioned by the Swedish to rival the aerial reconnaissance camera recovered from a downed German plane in the 1940s.
03-29-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Celebrity hirings are nearly always an act of desperation.

But Ming says he actually has a background in corporate strategy. (Shrugs shoulders).

03-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I could think of nothing more suitable than to put an actual, serious MF shooter into a very high position in their company.
According to Mr. Thein, "my position is both part time and can be performed for the most part remotely via email and over the phone." Of course, a part-time position that doesn't involve hands-on decision making could be both very high and not very influential. Mr. Thein should get more time in the Hasselblad boardroom than Mr. Sporheim gets in the Ricoh boardroom, so there is something to be said for being Chief of Strategy instead of Nordic Ambassador.
03-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
part time and can be performed for the most part remotely via email and over the phone
Wow !
That is almost scary !
03-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Wow !
That is almost scary !
How do I get a job like that? You know, sit home in Whitney and email my instructions. Does he also get to hire his wife?

Cause if i can't hire Tess, I'm not taking the job.

I don't even care if Ricoh reads this, I hate behind closed doors negotiations.
03-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That is almost scary !
It really is, after all who actually talks on a telephone these days?
03-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Celebrity hirings are nearly always an act of desperation.
I'm inclined to agree,l however I wouldn't say he has been hired - he's just a part time adviser, a consultant via correspondence. Hasselblad can ignore him if they choose to. There are instances where involvement of high profile players in the industry has produced interesting products.*

This situation brings to mind the time when Lenny Kravitz** collaborated with Leica:

Give me a dremel tool, some wet&dry sandpaper, and 10 minutes: I can add $5,000 worth of cosmetic brassing to my Leica M9.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
"my position is both part time and can be performed for the most part remotely via email and over the phone."
This doesn't sound remotely reassuring - If I had stocks in Hasselblad, I'd be selling right about now.

*but such products have often commanded prices that were beyond reasonable, often they never sell enough to recoup the cost of development in the first place.

** I can't help but wonder what Bowie would have done.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-29-2017 at 07:04 PM.
03-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
** I can't help but wonder what Bowie would have done.
All white, I would suggest, with a cowlick...
03-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I'm inclined to agree,l however I wouldn't say he has been explicitly hired - he's just an adviser, a consultant. Hasselblad can ignore him if they choose to. There are instances where involvement of high profile players in the industry has produced interesting products*

This situation brings to mind the time when Lenny Kravitz** collaborated with Leica:

Give me a dremel tool, some wet&dry sandpaper, and 10 minutes: I can add $5,000 worth of cosmetic brassing to my Leica M9.

(Laughs)

'Chief of Strategy' is a pretty grand title for someone who won't be working in the building or attending meetings. Smacks of a PR stunt.

Ashton Kutcher was hired by Lenovo a few years back allegedly as a Product Engineer. I've no idea how that went

Last edited by clackers; 03-29-2017 at 07:13 PM.
03-29-2017, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
All white, I would suggest, with a cowlick...

And each time you took it out of your backpack, it will have changed, for no apparent reason.