Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2017, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #301
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
What is you interest in the A9 then?
I'm just trying to understand what's with all this enthusiasm about this camera. Everybody on the internet says it's a DSLR killer and I'm not even sure if A9 can compete with the big boys.

---------- Post added 06-01-17 at 12:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But if it wasn't for those things you'd buy one?
Come on, be honest.
Honestly? No. I would rather buy a K1 and a D500 with the money.

06-01-2017, 05:17 AM   #302
Pentaxian

Everything these days is a DSLR killer
06-01-2017, 06:11 AM   #303
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I'm just trying to understand what's with all this enthusiasm about this camera.
Most of the excitement is with the technology of the AF, frame rate, electronic shutter, blackout free shooting, & buffer with on sensor memory. What they have done is impressive. Its probably not a $4,500 camera for most people, but the technology is going to work its way in to other cameras.
06-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #304
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Most of the excitement is with the technology of the AF, frame rate, electronic shutter, blackout free shooting, & buffer with on sensor memory. What they have done is impressive. Its probably not a $4,500 camera for most people, but the technology is going to work its way in to other cameras.
I can see why sports photographers in particular would drool themselves soggy over the A9 (if only the A9 had "big glass" and did not overheat).

Yet for other photographers of less frantic scenery, the A9 offers nothing but higher costs, worse DR, worse ergonomics, and eyestrain/headaches. For them, the A9 doesn't even nibble their DSLR's lens caps let alone kill their DSLR.

Yet the underlying technology is very interesting. BSI, especially, enables much better image read-out and can be optimized for either high frame rate (as in the A9) or high DR. Stacking is also interesting for high frame rate although the idea of adding a layer of hot digital memory circuits to a temperature-sensitive analog sensor seems like a horrible idea for DR and IQ.

06-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is clear that there is progress here. I still would buy based on glass and not on a camera body. This is a sports body and as such it needs long and fast glass to meet that, even if the body is up to snuff, I don't think Sony is quite where Canon and Nikon are at in this regard.

The other question that remains to be settled is what kind of dynamic range and high iso performance it will have. That was the biggest knock on the SLT cameras and a lot of folks wouldn't tolerate a 1/2 stop drop in high iso performance, even if frame rates were adequate. Certainly it isn't unusual that sports photographers will be in the 12K to 50K iso range and if SLRs do better than that could be a reason for them to use Canon and Nikon for the NBA finals, even if the A9 camera body is fine otherwise.
06-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #306
Pentaxian

Sony will make Big Lenses to go with this camera do not worry and it will likely be loaded with cool tech and sharp glass. I suspect mega OSS.
06-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #307
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Sony will make Big Lenses to go with this camera do not worry and it will likely be loaded with cool tech and sharp glass. I suspect mega OSS.
And that's fine. I just wouldn't buy a sports camera based on the camera body. I would want the lenses to be there and know that the high iso performance was where I needed it to be before I bought.

06-01-2017, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #308

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
...if only the A9 had "big glass"...
Actually it has so much glass, that you will have a hard time counting.
You can pop on sonys own converter and use every Sony and Minolta A-Mount lens that is available on the market used or new. without losing ANY functionality...
(framerate will be a bit slower than with native FE-lenses but it still kicks 455)

or you can use that new Sigma adapter so you can use every Canon-EF glass on that sneaky A9...
all that plus the native offerings for the E-mount add up to a multitude of options for sports photographers.

... and did not overheat...
since people are pretty cheap and camera industry is a war on who earns big in the coming years;
I would go so far and say, i ll believe that when i have put it to the test by myself and got it to overheat.
06-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #309
Pentaxian

eyestrain/headaches
This is like saying a Ferrari is not a good car because you have motion sickness.
06-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #310
Pentaxian

This is like saying a Ferrari is not a good car because you have motion sickness.
Exactly!

Ferrari is a bad car for all but a small niche of drivers.

Ferrari is not a sedan killer (or pickup truck killer or SUV killer or..... ) and Sony's A9 is not a DSLR killer.
06-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #311
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
Only 20 different mounts with the aid of the Techart Pro adapter(including K and M42)

I'd like to see the documented overheating issue where it causes the camera to shut down?

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 08:54 AM ----------

or you can use that new Sigma adapter so you can use every Canon-EF glass on that sneaky A9...
Ive read theres an issue with that adapter....probably needs a firmware update.

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 08:57 AM ----------

"Sony will make Big Lenses "

Yes, theres at least one in the pipeline that will be announced later this year.....its either 500 or 600 F4.
06-01-2017, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #312
Pentaxian

Exactly!

Ferrari is a bad car for all but a small niche of drivers.

Ferrari is not a sedan killer (or pickup truck killer or SUV killer or..... ) and Sony's A9 is not a DSLR killer.
Not really A Ferrari can't do everything a Suv or a sedan can do however an A9 can apparently do pretty much everything a DSLR can do as good or better. DR is not as good as A7rii but it is still good
The reason why it is a niche camera is the price. If everyone could get this camera as cheap as the camera they could afford they would get this one(except those who are anti Sony or suffer from vertigo)

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 06-01-2017 at 03:06 PM.
06-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #313
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Only 20 different mounts with the aid of the Techart Pro adapter(including K and M42)

I'd like to see the documented overheating issue where it causes the camera to shut down?

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 08:54 AM ----------

Ive read theres an issue with that adapter....probably needs a firmware update.

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 08:57 AM ----------

"Sony will make Big Lenses "

Yes, theres at least one in the pipeline that will be announced later this year.....its either 500 or 600 F4.

Glad to see you're still around
06-01-2017, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #314
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This camera is being sold as a sports camera, using adapters costs you AF does it not.

"Look I have the best, fastest AF camera made, but I don't have an AF lens."
Not really A Ferrari can't do everything a Suv or a sedan can do however an A9 can apparently do pretty much everything a DSLR can do as good or better. DR is not as good as A7rii but it is still good

Well maybe not everything a K-1 or D810 can do, but anything any 24 MP DSLR can do.

And let you see what's there with the camera turned off.

And probably a pile of other things.
06-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #315
Pentaxian

The reason why it is a niche camera is the price. If everyone could get this camera as cheap as the camera they could afford they would get this one(except those who are anti Sony or suffer from vertigo)
The A9 cannot:

1) Show you the full DR or color gamut of the scene -- it's limited to the DR of the sensor, VF algorithms, and EVF display.

2) Be comfortable to use for the 30% to 80% of the population that are affected by motion sickness.

---

I'm not anti-Sony although I've hated the software on every Sony device that has come into my life and get the sense that others have issues with their user interfaces, too.