Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The 150-450 is an excellent lens. You will not regret getting one. I've been using my for astrophotography, and while it doesn't do what an astrophotography telescope will it shines big time.
really??
That's fascinating!

Do you use it with astrotracer in camera or do you have more advanced tracker for exposures?

You've definitely sparked my interest.
Any links to examples?

04-25-2017, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
However, going through my photos just confirms the fact that I'm hoarding the 15/35/70 in my bag hahaha!
99% of my shots are either with the 1.4TC + DFA100 or the 1.4TC + DA*300...
If 99% of your shots are tele, you'll never miss the 15/35/70. That is, until that 1% when you need one.
04-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Honest opinion?

If you are feeling itchy feet then keep all your present gear, buy a Q with the Pentax Adapter, pick up a really good tripod, hook up the DA*300 and go practice some really long range technique.

With today's software there are some pretty amazing things that can be done with RAW image files so you can print those Q photographs pretty big. I have gone to 16x20 now and still don't feel I have found the limit.

If you don't feel you have the skills yourself then there are some pretty good professional printers out there who will print your big photographs for you.

But I do mean practice. I shoot sports with pretty long lenses but that is nothing compared to shooting wildlife at long distance.
04-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
If 99% of your shots are tele, you'll never miss the 15/35/70. That is, until that 1% when you need one.
precisely!

---------- Post added 04-25-17 at 01:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Honest opinion?

If you are feeling itchy feet then keep all your present gear, buy a Q with the Pentax Adapter, pick up a really good tripod, hook up the DA*300 and go practice some really long range technique.

With today's software there are some pretty amazing things that can be done with RAW image files so you can print those Q photographs pretty big. I have gone to 16x20 now and still don't feel I have found the limit.

If you don't feel you have the skills yourself then there are some pretty good professional printers out there who will print your big photographs for you.

But I do mean practice. I shoot sports with pretty long lenses but that is nothing compared to shooting wildlife at long distance.
I wouldn't even know where to start with the Q. I really know nothing about them...
Is there a model or version that is preferred?
Same with the adapter?
Or are they all made equal?

Thanks!

04-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
In the astrophotography thread here's what I have:

M81 & M82, M101. Advice on which is better of 2 pics each. - Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com

M97, 108, 101, 94, and Rosette Nebula. - Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com

M13, M81 &82, M51, Rosette Nebula, Christmas Tree Cluster. - Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com

Last night's stuff. - Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com

Excuse my results because I am still a big time noob at processing. There are others here who can get a ton more out of my stuff. Also, I use a special tracking mount for this. The iOptron zeq25, but the iOptron SmartEQ Pro 3200 will likely be added to my setup for lighter grab and go and would be more than sufficient for this setup.
04-25-2017, 10:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
In the astrophotography thread here's what I have:

M81 & M82, M101. Advice on which is better of 2 pics each. - Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com

M97, 108, 101, 94, and Rosette Nebula. - Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com

M13, M81 &82, M51, Rosette Nebula, Christmas Tree Cluster. - Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com

Last night's stuff. - Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com

Excuse my results because I am still a big time noob at processing. There are others here who can get a ton more out of my stuff. Also, I use a special tracking mount for this. The iOptron zeq25, but the iOptron SmartEQ Pro 3200 will likely be added to my setup for lighter grab and go and would be more than sufficient for this setup.
These shots are phenomenal!
So I wouldn't be able to get these without the additional tracker?

I've still yet to really try the astrotracer function on my K-3ii. But it seems like what you're doing is next level stuff...
04-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
These shots are phenomenal!
So I wouldn't be able to get these without the additional tracker?

I've still yet to really try the astrotracer function on my K-3ii. But it seems like what you're doing is next level stuff...
You can get brighter stuff with astrotracer like the Orion Nebula and other bright nebulae. I am not sure what the limiting magnitude is with astrotracer.

04-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Q7 or QS1, both use same sensor....look at the images that are in the Q threads......your lenses will get some far away wildlife shots.
04-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

precisely!

---------- Post added 04-25-17 at 01:08 PM ----------

I wouldn't even know where to start with the Q. I really know nothing about them...
Same with the adapter?

Thanks!
The Q7/Q-S1 have a better sensor than the Q/Q10. The Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount lenses is what you would want over the cheap Chinese adapters (though you have no choice for mounts other than K). The Pentax Adapter has a leaf shutter so you don't have to use the electronic shutter (Rolling Shutter effect). It also has an aperture control ring, which not all cheap adapters do. It even uses the same tripod foot as the DA* 300, so you can use it with lenses that don't have their own...
04-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Q7/Q-S1 have a better sensor than the Q/Q10. The Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount lenses is what you would want over the cheap Chinese adapters (though you have no choice for mounts other than K). The Pentax Adapter has a leaf shutter so you don't have to use the electronic shutter (Rolling Shutter effect). It also has an aperture control ring, which not all cheap adapters do. It even uses the same tripod foot as the DA* 300, so you can use it with lenses that don't have their own...
Thank for the info.
How much do Q7/Q-s1 sell for?

I don't see many for sale that are available...
04-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank for the info.

I don't see many for sale that are available...
I've seen Q7s for ~$200-250. The Q-S1 for ~$300-350. The adapter is ~$195 from Japan...B&H has it for $199. The Q-S1 is still available new from Japan, it isn't listed by Ricoh in the US anymore...but I see 2 on Amazon by gray market sellers.
04-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Worry about your 300 when it breaks. I've had my SDM DA*60-250 for almost 5 years now and there's no sign it's breaking any time soon. If you want more reach, stick a Q-S1 on the back of it. I can't imagine selling a whole system because I'm worried about one lens. especially one I have heard not one report of the lens failing. Changes were made to SDM after the 16-50 was released.
04-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #28
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my suggestion:

consider renting the Pentax 150 - 450 zoom and the nikon camera and lenses you are considering and do your own testing.

I have used LensRental.com before and had good service. they are out of Tennessee.

they may have equipment ready for sale and your rental fees might apply to the purchase price

I have no connection with LensRental.com

if you do your own testing, please let us know the results.
04-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #29
Pentaxian

There was a yellow Q7 in the market place recently, it may still be there?

Otherwise, look on ebay....I see quite a few there.

NEW BOXED PENTAX Q-S1 QS1 CAMERA BODY ONLY // CHARCOAL BLACK | eBay
04-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Same with the adapter?

Thanks!
I got my Q-7 28 months ago with exactly the same kind of thoughts you're being encouraged to have. The good side of a "Q" is that they are quite inexpensive, so you can experiment at virtually no cost, at least compared to the cost of a $$$$ lens; the down side of a "Q" is that its sensor pixels are very small. As a result of some backyard testing,
Baby Steps - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com
I believe my Sigma 70-300 lens @ f/8 or f/11 is giving me the best images I could get with the equipment I'm willing to purchase, but I'm not convinced this lens is resolving down to those tiny sensor pixels. I have not tried the DA-300, incidentally, partly because it is higher than I would prefer to spend and partly because my style has always preferred zoom lenses over prime lenses, so there is still a certain amount of territory I haven't touched, but if you look through the "Q" section, you'll find some fine pictures taken by others using lenses that cost more than I've been willing to spend. Even I purchased a Genuine Pentax Adapter {after trying several Genuine Chinese Adapters}, because I reached the conclusion that there was no way of telling which little issues were a result of missed manual focus, which were a result of lack of sufficient resolving power, and which were tiny rolling shutter artifacts.