Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adapter for a Nikon F?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So my friend who is into Film photography (but I myself am absolutely clueless), recently purchased a used Nikon F Photomic FTN 35mm SLR Camera Body. It has yet to be posted from the seller to the buyer, and so he's on the lookout for a lens for it.

In the meantime, I wondered, is there an adapter ring for the Nikon F that allows him to use any of the Pentax K mount lenses that I own? I have a heap of old Sigma, Tokina and Pentax A series lens that I know work fine with my K-1, I just thought it might be a nice gift if the adapter didn't cost much but allowed him to have a go of some of my lenses (new and old).

Or is there a technological hitch to being able to do this? I understand with old lenses (and bodies) that such things as AF is out, MF all the way etc, but yeh... i just wondered if that was possible...

Cheers,

Bruce

05-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two types of adapters.

The one with a glass lens element in it will enable focusing at infinity.

The one without the glass element in it will work but will not focus at infinity.

The glass element in the adapter will degrade the image quality. However, if you buy one of the more expensive glass element versions, I would expect that the degradation of the image would be less than what you'd get with a cheaper unit.

Either version are very easy to use, just twist it onto the lens, no tools are needed.
05-05-2017, 12:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glass element adapters will also act like a teleconverter.

Nikon mount distance is slightly too long.
05-05-2017, 01:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
There are two types of adapters.

The one with a glass lens element in it will enable focusing at infinity.

The one without the glass element in it will work but will not focus at infinity.

The glass element in the adapter will degrade the image quality. However, if you buy one of the more expensive glass element versions, I would expect that the degradation of the image would be less than what you'd get with a cheaper unit.

Either version are very easy to use, just twist it onto the lens, no tools are needed.

Can you explain the focus infinity? Is it because now the ring adds space to where the Nikon lens would normally fit, it can't focus out to infinity? Same kinda hiccup for close range? But somewhere between these two spectrums and it will perform ok?

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Glass element adapters will also act like a teleconverter.

Nikon mount distance is slightly too long.
Yeh I've used a teleconverter and I'm not too chuffed with the results, I'm thinking a non glass might suit him better...

05-05-2017, 04:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe get a Nikon lens instead of an adapter? Or get a K-mount Body
05-05-2017, 04:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you have any Tamron Adaptall lenses in your heap, you could get the Nikon F-mount adapter to swap for the K-munt one. That would be both glassless and provide infinity focus.
05-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The longer registration distance of the Nikon is like having an extension tube on your Pentax lens. As noted you will not be a able to focus at infinity but you can focus to about 8 or so feet away uncorrected is all.

I shoot a Takumar 50/1.4 on my F-mount camera using an uncorrected M42 adapter to get a closeup lens since I don't have a macro lens for my F-mount system. It does okay and I like utilizing my older gear when I can.