05-10-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

100MP Medium Format Achromatic Digital Back

Phase One

All the B&W fans out there

05-10-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. But since it is achromatic, how do they count the Megapixels? Is it like the Foveon thing, where they inflate it by multiplying by 3? You know, because there is no Bayer RGB division
Looks like a very niche product, doubt Pentax would do anything like that. I was surprised even back when Leica released their Monokrom, but I guess there is a market for such things
05-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Interesting. But since it is achromatic, how do they count the Megapixels? Is it like the Foveon thing, where they inflate it by multiplying by 3? You know, because there is no Bayer RGB division
Looks like a very niche product, doubt Pentax would do anything like that. I was surprised even back when Leica released their Monokrom, but I guess there is a market for such things
It's just the same 100 megapixel sensor found in their regular IQ3 but with no Bayer filter. Instead of having 25 million red pixels, 50 million green pixels, and 25 million blue pixels, it has 100 million pixels sensitive to the entire range of visible light (assuming they still include an IR-cut filter on the sensor).

Pentax Pixel Shift images can be used to create full-resolution achromatic/monochromatic images for stationary subjects.
05-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is certainly a nice, small-niche concept. I would love to see the ultra large high resolution prints that could be made.