Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2017, 07:01 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally got a "Texas Leica"!

I've been wanting one of these for many years. I finally won one on Ebay for a price I was willing to spend, and it is in exellent condition, where most are pretty worn looking.

So, what is it? It's a Fuji G690 BL medium format rangefinder. It's been known as a Texas Leica because it's HUGE (nearly 5 lbs), almost cartoon size and it's similarity to a Leica M3. It takes 6cm x 9cm medium format negatives.

Here's a shot of it next to my Canon L2 Rangefinder

I also ran a test roll through it yesterday to make sure everything was working. It seems to work at all sped and the rangefinder is spot on. These are nothing special, just some shots from around my shop. Because of the very large negative, I only get 8 shots per roll.

Since this is very similar to an M3, handling and using it is very easy. It is the fastest medium format camera I've ever used, just what I wanted! I'll probably be taking it up into the high country tomorrow for some hiking and photography.

Last edited by Colorado CJ; 06-24-2017 at 07:07 AM.
06-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

Congrats on your new toy. Beautiful pictures btw.
06-24-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a Pentax 67II for less than a year, but I really love 6x7 film.
06-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Oh, that's nice - camera AND images. This is one of those cameras which IMO should only be shot with B&W film. Whatever you're using and however you're getting it developed, the results (especially that exterior shot with the old wooden door) are exquisite.

Is the metering onboard, or do you need a hand-held for that?

How are you rendering the images into digital form?

06-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Oh, that's nice - camera AND images. This is one of those cameras which IMO should only be shot with B&W film. Whatever you're using and however you're getting it developed, the results (especially that exterior shot with the old wooden door) are exquisite.

Is the metering onboard, or do you need a hand-held for that?

How are you rendering the images into digital form?
These were shot on Fuji Across 100, my favorite B&W film, and also some of the cheapest in 120 size.

I develop all my own film, b&w, c41 or E6 slide film. It is very easy and keeps cost very low, just a few cents per roll for B&W. This rolll was developed in Pyrocat MC for 12.5 minutes.

There is no meter on the g690. I used my Gossen Luna Pro F hand held meter for quick metering.

Though I do have a small dark room, my main way I use film is a hybrid method. I scan in the negative using an Epson V750 Pro, then use Photoshop to adjust contrast and give the film a little patina, or sepia look. I have access to a large format printer, so most prints are made on that instead of wet printing in my darkroom.
06-24-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Thanks everyone.

These were shot on Fuji Across 100, my favorite B&W film, and also some of the cheapest in 120 size.

I develop all my own film, b&w, c41 or E6 slide film. It is very easy and keeps cost very low, just a few cents per roll for B&W. This rolll was developed in Pyrocat MC for 12.5 minutes.

There is no meter on the g690. I used my Gossen Luna Pro F hand held meter for quick metering.

Though I do have a small dark room, my main way I use film is a hybrid method. I scan in the negative using an Epson V750 Pro, then use Photoshop to adjust contrast and give the film a little patina, or sepia look. I have access to a large format printer, so most prints are made on that instead of wet printing in my darkroom.
*nods* My B&W workflow is practically identical, except that I digitise with a DSLR, macro lens and old-school slide copier (which also takes negs). I don't develop C41 at home yet and probably won't - the pharmacy down the road still accepts colour film for sending out, and I like to give them some business from time to time to encourage them to maintain the service (I'm not the only one who uses it, but the more, the merrier).

Unfortunately I simply don't have enough space to install a full darkroom for wet printing, which is a shame - I'd like to give it a try, but I don't want to go to the trouble of getting it all together and buying the gear only to find it's really not my thing or that other hobbies, interests, responsibilities etc. get in the way too much to make it worthwhile. Maybe after retirement...
06-25-2017, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Couple more from my second roll through the G690.

I race FPV Racing Quads in MultiGP, here are a few photos I took during yesterday's race, and one on the way back home.

06-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Love the dog shot. Captures the inherent nature of Dog, and the DOF is just perfect.