Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
SL2....its still the smallest Dslr

To pentaxians the K70 would be the choice....BUT the Canon will sell well.

06-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just seeing the jumble of the Canon's name and its odd sensor dimensions makes me not want it
Canon is not WR, has smaller sensor, no special shooting modes, no onboard SR, smaller viewfinder, worse ISO performance, fewer AF points.. and the K-70 just looks better. Look at the photos, one is cool silver, the other looks.. eh..

Also, the K-S1 is smaller than the K-70. And it might be smaller than the SL2, if someone wants to verify the dimensions
http://camerasize.com/compare/#564,677

The Canon isn't on the camera size thing yet

Edit: But thanks for posting! Not complaining Just looking at the pros and cons

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-30-2017 at 04:30 PM.
06-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

Canon has much better lens and accessory selection though. I wonder if it has AF microadjustment ability? I'm guessing no.

The bigger issue I'd have though is down to Image Quality.... the DPR scene shows the K-70 is cleaner than the 80D at higher ISO values. I doubt this little SL2 is going to best the 80D so.. the K-70 should output better looking images straight from the camera.

It is a trade off.. Canon has some nice abilities as does Pentax. Just have to weigh them all individually to see what works and doesn't.
06-30-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Just seeing the jumble of the Canon's name and its odd sensor dimensions makes me not want it
Canon is not WR, has smaller sensor, no special shooting modes, no onboard SR, smaller viewfinder, worse ISO performance, fewer AF points.. and the K-70 just looks better. Look at the photos, one is cool silver, the other looks.. eh..

Also, the K-S1 is smaller than the K-70. And it might be smaller than the SL2, if someone wants to verify the dimensions
Compare camera dimensions side by side

The Canon isn't on the camera size thing yet

Edit: But thanks for posting! Not complaining Just looking at the pros and cons
Its up on the camera compare website, The K-S2 is smaller then both the SL2 and the K-S1. Unless we are talking about weight and the SL2 ways less

06-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Its up on the camera compare website, The K-S2 is smaller then both the SL2 and the K-S1. Unless we are talking about weight and the SL2 ways less
Oh, right! Found it!
Compare camera dimensions side by side
The Canon SL1 is small, but the SL2 is bigger than the K-S1 and K-S2. But the SL2 is lighter (does it have pentamirror instead of pentaprism? is it the lack of SR? more plastic in the body, instead of metals?)
So there we go.

Yes, Canon has a big lens lineup and Canon is great for video. But their sensors lately have not been on the same level as the Sony sensors that Pentax and Nikon and some others are using
06-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've owned both the K-S1 and K-S2.

The K-S1 is smaller and lighter, it really resembles the old K-x.
06-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the K-S2 still current? Stocks of both the K-S1 and K-S2 seem to be widely available. If so, the K-S2 is smaller in two dimensions than the Canon SL2, and smaller refers to linear measure, not weight, although I realise it's a Mad Hatter world when it comes to a lot of meanings.

06-30-2017, 10:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've owned both the K-S1 and K-S2.

The K-S1 is smaller and lighter, it really resembles the old K-x.

Its nice that they are so small, i was just going off of the camera compare website.

07-01-2017, 01:21 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I played with an EOS 100D (the Rebel SL1) at a large electronics store some months ago. It's a very cute little camera, and I can see the attraction - but in terms of build quality, it did feel rather plasticky. Not bad, by any means, but not what we're used to with Pentax cameras, IMHO...
07-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
the K-S2 is smaller in two dimensions than the Canon SL2
SL2....122x93x70=794220......KS2 122x91x72.5=804895.

KS1 is smaller than both......and lighter.

PERHAPS, I should have headed the thread" in Production".....even though both the Pentaxs can be bought new.

Theres only a few MMs between the 3....all are small.

---------- Post added 07-02-17 at 01:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Not bad, by any means, but not what we're used to with Pentax cameras, IMHO...
Yes, when you consider that the SL2 has dual pixel AF,60 fps video....touchscreen that's fully articulating...24mps.....it'll make a good present for a Canon shooter to replace a 650d/T2i.

AND, i'll get to play with it B4 I give it to her(my daughter shoots a Canon)

---------- Post added 07-02-17 at 01:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I doubt this little SL2 is going to best the 80D
SL2 has the Digi 7 processor but a lot less AF points,however it double "bests" it pricewise.

---------- Post added 07-02-17 at 01:25 PM ----------

The K-S2 is smaller then both the SL2 and the K-S1

---------- Post added 07-02-17 at 01:43 PM ----------

Its nice that they are so small, i was just going off of the camera compare website.
And there are a few of these websites that get some things wrong.Snapsort is one of them too that I look at.

Last edited by surfar; 07-01-2017 at 07:40 PM.
07-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, when you consider that the SL2 has dual pixel AF,60 fps video....touchscreen that's fully articulating...24mps.....it'll make a good present for a Canon shooter to replace a 650d/T2i.

AND, i'll get to play with it B4 I give it to her(my daughter shoots a Canon)
She'll love it, I'm sure I actually considered buying a used SL1, as I have a couple of Canon AF lenses for my old EOS 5 film body... but I'm already invested in Pentax and Sony, and really don't need more! I'm not a touch screen kind of guy, but the implementation on the SL1 is good - very slick. I'm sure the SL2 will be even better.