Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bought a Olympus Tg-4 for snorkeling

I'm headed to the Maldives in October. My primary camera is my K3 but i wanted something to dive with. First thought was the Pentax WG models but after research i was pushed towards an Olypmus TG-4. So far im pretty impressed with its options. Its image quality is ok, nothing like my K3 but its good enough.

Been debating on adding the optional wide angle lens, curious if anyone else here has one of these point and shots

08-02-2017, 06:03 AM   #2

I've got one of those. It's good for holiday type shooting- the f2 lens at the wide end is surprisingly great for night time shots, providing there's a lot of streetlights or whatever. As for the wide lens attachment, I'm afraid it's out of my price range. Have a good day!
08-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I ended up getting the wide angle lens

shot this in my pond with it.

As far as image quality, im not that impressed. Its just kind of on par with my cell phone. The biggest pro with the TG-4 is that it can get dirty, wet etc. and still fit in my pocket so its earned its place on my trips.
08-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #4

Awesome stuff mate... Yes,unfortunately my sister's old iPhone is better... Still, at least it has optical zoom and an f2 lens!

08-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ive been using the Oly tough nuts for over 10 years, they are all good especially the latest TG5....but only expect point&shoot quality.

---------- Post added 08-03-17 at 03:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
in my pond
Great Pond!....and an excellent test for the video.
08-04-2017, 04:36 AM   #6

Aah there you go- yes, it's got the smaller sensor doesn't it?
08-04-2017, 06:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tg5 had same size sensor, just less mgpx so it should take better low light photos

08-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #8

Depends on how much light you consider "low though- it needs lots of streetlights to make a good photo. I love mine, I have taken it on basically every trip since I got it!
10-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
went to the Maldives.

Saw lots of fishies. All the coral were SPS, didnt see any lps, softies or inverts. Towards the edge of the reef was just devistating feilds of huge SPS skeletons, so thick and close to the surface i could snorkel over them. But there were also a lot of young patches of SPS forming.

These all shot on the TG-4

Pics http://www.shotbyterry.com/Vacation/Honeymoon/Snorkeling/

Videos http://www.shotbyterry.com/Vacation/Honeymoon/Snorkel-Videos/

These were from my K3
Honeymoon Pics - terrytumultyjr
10-20-2017, 02:29 AM   #10

Aah its a shame about the bleaching glad you had a good trip- and did the camera do what you needed it to?
10-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bessa-66 Quote
Aah its a shame about the bleaching glad you had a good trip- and did the camera do what you needed it to?
The camera performed ok. I tried using its RAW format on my backup memory card but it saved the images and an ORF format that could ony be opened with their software. Which stinked. I downloaded it but it wasnt much differnet than lightroom and very slow. Any adjustment took time to load and im on a fast machine. So i scrapped the RAW files and just pushed all the jpgs through as shot. So theres almost no post processing done to any of those pics.

Since i dont see any snorkeling in my near future, I'll likely sell off the TG-4 with the wide angle lens and put it and my K3 towards a K-1.
10-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by no694terry Quote
an ORF format that could ony be opened with their software. Which stinked.
Yes, I have to agree with you there.. I took mine overseas and then found I couldn't open my images- but I thought it was my GIMP Photoshop clone. Glad the JPEGs turned out though. Did you find the camera blowing highlights on cloudy days at all? Mine does all the time. Good luck on getting the K-1 by the way... I have recently become entranced by the Sony A7 haha
10-25-2017, 10:22 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

A bit late to the party but that may be useful for someone else... I also bought a TG-4 for my girlfriend for a trip in Australia, to go snorkeling at the great barrier reef. Pictures are ok, but after the first session I really wanted to find a case for my K3 (didn't dare to put the K1 underwater...), and I find that dirty cheap one:

https://www.amazon.com/DiCAPac-WP-S10-DSLR-Camera-Waterproof/dp/B00169HXW2?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It worked quite well for me, and the image quality is much better than the TG-4 (which, like others said, is smartphone like, at best).

Be careful to close it well though, I had leaks twice in something like ten snorkeling sessions. Was just a few drops, but still quite worrying for my non-WR FA* 24 attached to the K3... Never swam that fast to go back to the beach
10-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #14

I was recently overseas and I bought a Sony action camera. I think it was actually more useful than the TG4 in the end! Nice shots of the reef. Look out for stonefish!!