Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A question about a Canon EO5 Rebel T6i

I hope it's not against the rules to ask a question about a camera other than a Pentax. I'm personally a Pentaxian and have been for almost 50 years. I have a friend who owns a Canon EO5 Rebel T6i. I recently ordered her a Sigma DG APO Super 70-300mm f:4.0-5.6 lens from Japan via eBay. She saw one like it on my K-50 Pentax and really liked it, so I found one for her.

The lens arrived today and it looks beautiful and pristine in every way COSMETICALLY. When the lens it attached to the camera, a message comes up on the LED screen that says: "ER 01 Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts."

Can anyone offer any suggestions for her dilemma?

If I posted this question in error or it was not proper to ask about another brand of camera other than a Pentax, I apologize. It was just ignorance on my part and I meant no disrespect or had no intention of violating any standing rules. I'm only trying to be of assistance to this young lady who's interested in learning about photography. She's a recent immigrant from the Philippines and doesn't speak English very well, so I'm making an attempt to be her go-between.

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer.

Dewman (Dewey)
Nampa, Idaho

08-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is it's an issue with the lens. Problems with third party lenses and mounts are usually a lens issue. If cleaning the contacts does nothing to improve the situation, I would return the Sigma.
08-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dewman a quick internet search brings up 100's of posts on this error so it seems to be fairly common, especially with third party glass. Most seem to recommend cleaning the contacts with a soft cloth. Failing that there is likely an issue internally with the lens.

There are some really hilarious suggestions that are supposed to work. Check this thread: Err 01 - Communications between the camera and the lens... (both 7D and 60D): Canon EOS 7D / 10D - 80D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review Made me laugh.

Bottom line, it is a failure to communicate. Clean the contacts, if that fails then send it back.
09-01-2017, 05:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery