Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buying Advice

Hi Pentaxforums—sorry to have been gone, but I’ve been busy taking photos since I’ve last visited. Also, I'm not sure if this is the ideal places to post, but involves some non-pentax cameras, so I thought it would work.

I’m facing a bit of a dilemma, though really it is a good position to be in. I recently got some money to spend on camera gear (hurray!). I’m struggling, however, to figure out what to do. I like to take pictures of families and friends, so portraits and casual people photography is important. I also do a lot of travel photography, especially in cities. All of this is for a hobby, though I’ve done some things for friends/organizations that is slightly closer to professional work. So far, I have a Pentax 5iis with a lot of lenses (hd 15 4, sigma 18-50 2.8, pentax 18-135, da 55-300, da 40 xs, da 50 1.8, da 35 2.4, sigma 105 2.8 macro, 17-28 fisheye, sigma 70-300, pentax 28-80 4, and a bunch of old lenses, particularly in of 28, 35, and 50 varieties (all fun to use, but nothing particularly outstanding). I also have a sony a6000 with one really good lens (zeiss 32 1.8) and a couple kit lenses. I’ve found the mirrorless camera works much better with old lenses and is smaller, so I’ve taken more photos with it. On longer trips, I’ve taken my Sony. On short trips and around town, I use my Pentax. In general, I feel pretty well covered with this, though I have a few complaints. I seem to love sharp lenses, which has led the da 50 1.8 and the zeiss 32 1.8 to get a lot of use. I don’t have a single zoom that I love (this is especially true of the 16mp k5iis where I can see almost every pixel on my monitor and see the soft corners of my zooms). So some good glass would be something I’m interested in. I’m also interested in going full frame for better DOF control and low light shooting, though this may be a mirage I should stay away from. I’d also like a better evf than the a6000 has to use my manual focus lenses on. The autofocus on my Pentax also leaves something to be desired (I seem to miss more people shots than with the Sony--especially people standing still). Finally, I would love a silent shutter. None of these is essential, but those are just my critiques of my current system. This leads to a lot of possibilities.

1. k1 with something like 24-105, 31 1.8, 77 1.8 (or maybe some of the 2.8 zooms if they are really that much better). Would let me go full frame and use a lot of my legacy glass. But, I haven’t loved manual focus lenses with an OVF as much. Also, this would be a large camera and I find myself taking the smaller camera with me much more. Size concern also eliminates Nikon and Canon full frame.

2. Fixed lens camera. The RX1rii seems like a good way to jump to full frame and is compact, but the thing also seems really limiting and gets kind of so-so reviews and is crazy expensive. Also, doesn’t let me use any legacy glass. The fuji x100f also fits, but seems kind of like a wash compared to my current system in terms of image quality.

3. Sell all my gear and go to fuji. I know, I know, I’m on pentaxforums, but I love the weather sealing on Pentax and sharp primes, and fuji seems to have a pretty good system right now with those in mind. Plus there is the mirrorless (and smaller size) aspect.

4. Sony a7ii (or a7rii) with a few primes (likely something like 28, 50, and 85). More compact, but also somewhat more limited than my old gear, as I’d probably have to sell my Pentax stuff to make this work. Also, it still isn’t that compact and Sony’s full frame lenses seem very expensive, which could lead to camera envy and a downward spiral of gear acquisition instead of shooting photos. Finally, not so sure about the Sony build quality/weatherproofing. Pentax ergonomics are better, but Sony A6000’s are good enough for me 99 percent of the time.

5. Upgrades to current system (cameras or lenses). There is the a6500, but I don’t need 4k or its huge buffer. The k3ii doesn’t seem like a huge jump over the k5iis, but maybe I’m wrong. Sony doesn’t really have a lot of apsc lenses that interest me (maybe the 24 1.8, but it is pretty close in focal length to the zeiss). Pentax does have some great lenses (maybe 55 1.4, 31 1.8 and 77 1.8, or some of the newer limited lenses), but I don’t want to get lenses that won’t get used. Maybe a new tripod or better flash as well.

6. Go mobile and buy a better travel system. Something like the Ricoh Gr II that would be with me everywhere and something like a RX10 III for zoom reach.

So, what should I do? Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

09-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kit #1 and use the 28-105 as your walk around, but also add in a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 (or the Pentax one if you want to spend that much). The K1 is hands down the best camera I've owned. It is amazing. You will love it and your old lenses will work on it, some only in crop mode though.
09-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The fact that you list the K-1 kit first makes me think it's what you really want, but you have to be sure. I added an a6000 to my gear a couple weeks ago, and seeing the advantages and disadvantages of the mirror less system could really make you think. For myself, I plan on keeping two systems, something I tried before with the Q but it didn't really work out. Hopefully I can use each to it's relative strengths, but I still have a lot of learning to do with the Sony. You may want to make a spreadsheet and chart out the pros and cons of each of your 6 possibilities. Most likely that won't be cut and dried, but may at least eliminate a choice or two, Best of luck in whatever you decide.
09-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newton's lenses Quote
3. Sell all my gear and go to fuji
Fuji has WR bodies and lenses,is it as good as Pentax?...i dont know.Its lighter and smaller and some models have great EVFs and the Xpro2 has a hybrid VF...All the lenses are good bar the original 18mm(its being replaced soon with a newer version).You can adapt the K mounts to shoot manually and a focal reducer/ speed booster gives near a FF crop.

k1 with something like 24-105, 31 1.8, 77 1.8 (or maybe some of the 2.8 zooms if they are really that much better).
Yes, your 35/40/50 will work in FF mode,and some of the others DAs partially.The 18-135 only in crop mode.1:1 is versatile as well.My advice is go and handle it and see if the weight is too much.Its not that heavy with the 28-105, but the F2.8 zooms make it a BEAST!

$$$$$ony!....If you can cope with the menu(obviously you can)....then an upgrade there is OK too.Native glass costalotta,however a Techart Pro AF adapter turns all your K mounts to useable.(theres youtube videos)That adapter will definitely work on A6500/A7r2/A9....i think? it works on the A7ii but check the website.

Nothing wrong with keeping your present Pentax if you need WR, i have an old one in my car if the weather turns bad and i'm shooting with my non Pentax systems.

Theres no wrong choice, every option you have presented is good BUT as VoR has stated...the K-1 is a great camera!

FUJIkina is tomorrow in Tokyo, some new stuff happening including their first stabilised body(so the strong rumour goes)

09-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. My initial thought was go full frame. The K1 naturally makes sense and looks great on paper, but when I looked over my photos from the last few years, I found the a6000 had gotten more use than my Pentax. I could travel with a DSLR a bit more, which might change this, but a small camera that I can use with one hand in a pinch seems to fit my needs better these days. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the next time I will be near a camera store that has any of this gear. I'm not in a rush, but have been mulling this over a ton and thought I would seek some advice here in the meantime.
09-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the advice. My initial thought was go full frame. The K1 naturally makes sense and looks great on paper, but when I looked over my photos from the last few years, I found the a6000 had gotten more use than my Pentax. I could travel with a DSLR a bit more, which might change this, but a small camera that I can use with one hand in a pinch seems to fit my needs better these days. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the next time I will be near a camera store that has any of this gear. I'm not in a rush, but have been mulling this over a ton and thought I would seek some advice here in the meantime.
Ricoh GR II is smaller than all of that, including the Fuji X100T I took a few shots with at the weekend.
09-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

3. Sell all my gear and go to fuji. I know, I know, I’m on pentaxforums, but I love the weather sealing on Pentax and sharp primes, and fuji seems to have a pretty good system right now with those in mind. Plus there is the mirrorless (and smaller size) aspect.
Ummmm.....that's exactly what I did I've been very happy with Fuji. . I sold all my Pentax gear. About $4,000 worth. No regrets. Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for YOU. Remember it's all about YOU, not what others have done including me.