Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Action Cameras or 360 cameras need help

Hello all does anyone have any knowledge on action cams or 360 cameras?

Looking for use on a motorcycle/car to record my commute and as much as Id like to use the theta, it doesn't allow for a very long record time or have a slot for extended memory. Also as much as I use to use GOPRO, I always had an issue with the power on those things, usually with the batteries not making contact.

so with that in mind does anyone know of a model that will record up to 1.5 hours continuous, have battery life that would last up to at least 3 hours, and have expandable memory?

Preferably 360 but at this point any action cam would do.

Any help would be great. the Information out there is a little lacking when it comes to battery record time

oh and as much as 4k is the new thing, 720/1080 would do if its clean and clear

09-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Hello all does anyone have any knowledge on action cams or 360 cameras?

Looking for use on a motorcycle/car to record my commute and as much as Id like to use the theta, it doesn't allow for a very long record time or have a slot for extended memory. Also as much as I use to use GOPRO, I always had an issue with the power on those things, usually with the batteries not making contact.

so with that in mind does anyone know of a model that will record up to 1.5 hours continuous, have battery life that would last up to at least 3 hours, and have expandable memory?

Preferably 360 but at this point any action cam would do.

Any help would be great. the Information out there is a little lacking when it comes to battery record time

oh and as much as 4k is the new thing, 720/1080 would do if its clean and clear
I'd go for a gopro for that. The Theta is amazing for selfies and travel shots, but when it comes to something that's rugged and can record for a long time, gopro fits the bill perfectly. While not 360 their field of view is still really wide, ideal for motorsports IMO. I've never had any battery issues with my hero 2 and it can certainly record for that long as long as the card is big enough.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd go for a gopro for that. The Theta is amazing for selfies and travel shots, but when it comes to something that's rugged and can record for a long time, gopro fits the bill perfectly. While not 360 their field of view is still really wide, ideal for motorsports IMO. I've never had any battery issues with my hero 2 and it can certainly record for that long as long as the card is big enough.
Yeah Ive had a couple since the hero 2 model that haven't really held up, have a few friends with the same issues. video was lost, and left a bad taste. Although their battery life and recording time are excellent(when it worked), was hoping there was another brand that people used or recommended.
09-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sampled a Garmin Virb 360 on the motorcycle:

I returned it because one of the mics was not working. Not sure about battery life but I doubt many will last 3 hours. You may want to see which runs you can run off a 12v USB hooked up to the battery.

09-09-2017, 01:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Look on Youtube @ all the comparisons...the elcheapo Chinese knock offs are all you need...$100
09-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used a Hero 4 on a car trip with this USB cord plugged to a Samsung 9000 mA cell phone power pack and it lasted me 8+ hours. They also make a cable for Hero 3 and I think Hero 5 can be powered directly from the USB port.

GoPro Hero Solutions | Core SWX
09-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I sampled a Garmin Virb 360 on the motorcycle:

Testing the Garmin Virb 360 on a Honda Africa Twin motorcycle - YouTube

I returned it because one of the mics was not working. Not sure about battery life but I doubt many will last 3 hours. You may want to see which runs you can run off a 12v USB hooked up to the battery.

Ah, that was your video. I saw that one. Good quality, terrible that the mic did not work. Do you have any experience with the sony action cams at all, the olympus tg tracker, or the 360 fly 4k?

---------- Post added 09-09-17 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
I used a Hero 4 on a car trip with this USB cord plugged to a Samsung 9000 mA cell phone power pack and it lasted me 8+ hours. They also make a cable for Hero 3 and I think Hero 5 can be powered directly from the USB port.

GoPro Hero Solutions | Core SWX

Trying to stay away from gopro if at all possible, unless the 360 that is coming out will be alright.