Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
$$$ony and Apple$$$

Well new tech certainly cost$ a lot.

Ample$ X phone comes in at a price that can buy a good camera body and some lenses...

The 4th edition of the RX10 has been unveiled and its just under the K-1 release price.

Apple and Sony fanboys seem to have deep pockets, they need deeper ones now!

09-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I for one think it's awesome.

These premium products at premium prices pay for all the billions of dollars in R&D and capital expenditures required to create innovative, high-performance products. Next year, the same device will be at least 30% cheaper (and then another 30% and then another....)

At another level, that new Apple phone is actually a heck of a lot cheaper than all the things it replaces. If one had to separately buy a phone, tape recorder, music player, movie player, a camera, pager, e-mail machine, GPS, e-book reader, walkie-talkie, planetarium, road atlases for every city, state, and country, etc., etc. the total would be in the thousands of dollars and you'd need a huge backpack to carry it all.
09-12-2017, 01:41 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nobody ever seems to call BMW or Lexus drivers "fanboys", and yet the same rationale could be applied to the use of that dismissive word to them ("my Kia does exactly the same as your Jaguar, and it only costs a quarter of the price").

Uncritical faddishness isn't the sole reason why people spend more on some products, although prestige is more important to some than to others, in some instances.

Nonetheless, I'll be sticking to my iPhone 5, because it's still as good as new, and likely to keep going for a long time yet, so I have no reason to even contemplate another. I still wear Fletcher Jones shirts and trousers, by the way (only Australian readers will get that reference – the rest can check Wikipedia).
09-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
a huge backpack to carry it all.
Yes, thats what i use!...with solar panels, hybrid storage inverter....and it all fits in!

---------- Post added 09-13-17 at 08:01 AM ----------

I for one think it's awesome.
And i dont suppose Craig Federighi thought that on the first public launch of the X, being a senior Apple$ VP,you would think he'd know how it worked?

FACE RECOGNITION failed....he had to log in with a password...bha ha ha

---------- Post added 09-13-17 at 08:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I still wear Fletcher Jones shirts and trousers
Yes, of course...you need those high collars,dont you!

09-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In a few months there will be a Xiaomi with the same spec and look for a third of the price and without the jailhouse of the Apple ecosystem...I'll wait for that. I've been a China smartphone 'fanboi' for several years now and once they've seen them, most of my friends and family have joined me. Personally, I spend the savings on camera gear.
09-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Apple and Sony fanboys seem to have deep pockets
Yes we do.
09-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I've been a China smartphone 'fanboi' for several years now and once they've seen them, most of my friends and family have joined me. Personally, I spend the savings on camera gear.
Yes, i'm a China FANBOY too...lotsa good stuff gets made there(well justabout everything).

Its reasonable quality too....2013 purchased a dual sim "Note 3"...2 batteries and flip over cover.6inch Phablet..around U$150ish back then...its a quadcore and still going strong.Outstanding value for money.

09-12-2017, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

At another level, that new Apple phone is actually a heck of a lot cheaper than all the things it replaces. If one had to separately buy a phone, tape recorder, music player, movie player, a camera, pager, e-mail machine, GPS, e-book reader, walkie-talkie, planetarium, road atlases for every city, state, and country, etc., etc. the total would be in the thousands of dollars and you'd need a huge backpack to carry it all.
Too bad it replaces all those things about as well as a Swiss Army knife replaces a toolbox full of tools.
09-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

SONY...
I don’t know about their products now because I stop buying anything with SONY long ago. I don’t mind to pay more for real premium products but saying premium, the quality must be premium too. “Every” SONY produces I brought during its best years seem to break down in less than a year, many as soon as 3 months. That when I say goodbye to the brand. Panasonic and Olympus are another 2 on my permanent blacklists.
Pentax uses Sony sensor, which paused me a bit before I came back. But I partly gamble, partly trust in the brand and Pentax didn’t disappoint me.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 09-13-2017 at 03:46 PM.
09-13-2017, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, of course...you need those high collars,dont you!
Now, now. You know fine well I was talking about longevity, not the weather!