Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-09-2017, 06:33 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rolleiflex 2.8 Schneider Xenotar 80mm

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a friend that has a Rolleiflex similar to this. Can't load pictures at work so the link is the next best thing. Locally a camera place offered her $100 but I think she can get alot more just not sure of the demand. It's a beautful camera with the case but don't know what to tell her. I mentioned KEH. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!
Rolleiflex 2.8F With Schneider Xenotar 80mm f/2.8 + Penta Prism Finder 1960 | eBay

11-09-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
She can get a bunch more by selling it to a person. Rough guess $400 and this is probably LOW.
Check Ebay sold items. A Planar lens model will sell for more than hers.
KEH price will be low also.
Good Luck
11-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
She can get a bunch more by selling it to a person. Rough guess $400 and this is probably LOW.
Check Ebay sold items. A Planar lens model will sell for more than hers.
KEH price will be low also.
Good Luck

thanks for the info...i think it is a planar TLR but how do you tell...just checked KEH and there is a camera like hers that is 1700
11-09-2017, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

It will say on the lens ring.
You can find out when it was built. Do a search for Rollei serial number index. Type in your number and a year will pop up. The 'F' started around 1960.
A KEH price isn't too high, depends on year and condition. There are new old stock ones around and they will break $5000 mark.
The Rollei's last and last and last. My 1950's 3,5 E shoots as good as it did new. About once a year you need to exercise the shutter, fire it thru all speeds a couple of times.
Planar gets a better price because it's a Zeiss Planar. Got kind of a Cult following. Rollei folks are as bad as Leica folks when it comes to glass

---------- Post added 11-09-17 at 09:10 AM ----------

PS to give you an idea on price, I paid $400 in 1982 for my 3,5 E, used. The 2,8 was $400 to $500 more at the time, used. Probably an 'F' model.
Planar.....of course

11-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
It will say on the lens ring.
You can find out when it was built. Do a search for Rollei serial number index. Type in your number and a year will pop up. The 'F' started around 1960.
A KEH price isn't too high, depends on year and condition. There are new old stock ones around and they will break $5000 mark.
The Rollei's last and last and last. My 1950's 3,5 E shoots as good as it did new. About once a year you need to exercise the shutter, fire it thru all speeds a couple of times.
Planar gets a better price because it's a Zeiss Planar. Got kind of a Cult following. Rollei folks are as bad as Leica folks when it comes to glass

---------- Post added 11-09-17 at 09:10 AM ----------

PS to give you an idea on price, I paid $400 in 1982 for my 3,5 E, used. The 2,8 was $400 to $500 more at the time, used. Probably an 'F' model.
Planar.....of course

thanks!!! based on the info you gave me this is what is coming up
2,400,0002,442,1331960-1966Rolleiflex 2,8 F
Flat Glass option CZ Planar
Schneider Xenotar4 Rolleiflex 2.8FRolleiflex 2.8F (type 1/2)
11-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'd interpret that as a 1966 Rollei 2,8 F with a Schneider Taking lens.
Should mention that Top and Bottom lens can be different. My Viewing lens is a Schneider, my taking is Planar.
Pretty sure her cameras worth MORE than $100. That camera shop was messing her over and looking for a tiddy profit.

---------- Post added 11-09-17 at 05:26 PM ----------

PS Pretty sure the Type 1/2 refers to the lens mounting type. There are accessories that mount to the lenses
11-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I sold some gear on eBay, was mostly painless, and much better than KEH, B&H and Adorama quotes I got for my gear (Double the amount in fact). It takes few minutes to setup a listing, eBay will take it's 6% (sometimes they don't, under promotions I believe), you'll be protected by PayPal buyer/seller guard (all issues I had were resolved).

11-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

List it here for her . . . You might find a buyer.
11-09-2017, 07:08 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
List it here for her . . . You might find a buyer.
Thanks everyone. Based on Keh the camera could be bought for as much as 1200. I have an eBay account so could sell it there but still really not sure if its value. If someone is interested let me know and would be happy to discuss. I'm trying to help her so she gets the best $ she can but everything is negotiable. 😜

---------- Post added 11-09-17 at 09:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
Thanks everyone. Based on Keh the camera could be bought for as much as 1200. I have an eBay account so could sell it there but still really not sure if its value. If someone is interested let me know and would be happy to discuss. I'm trying to help her so she gets the best $ she can but everything is negotiable. 😜
I forgot to add top lens says heidosmat
11-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Just set an auction for like a week and see where it takes you. You can set a minimum required amount, but all auctions I've tried surpassed my minimums fairly easily. Thing is, most of the action comes in the last day, or even hours)
11-10-2017, 06:33 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
i'm actually getting more confused as i research it. i know it is not a white face. it seems to be just your basic Rolleiflex 2.8 f xenotar. the serial number is 2433064. if anyone can give me any other insite on what to look for...the price from keh was based on it being a planar which it is not...never realized there could be so many verisons of this camera so no idea of what it could get $ wise..thanks for you feedback!!!!
11-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Schneider is top glass, even though it may not be a 'collector's item' it is a very, very good camera for a serious photographer.

Having said that, there are possibly better deals for MF film cameras with more options (interchangeable lenses, finders & backs, multiple film formats etc).
11-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
Pentaxian

If it has a case in good shape that's a plus, if it has the lens cap...plus, look in the film area and see if it has markings for 120/220 ...plus.
Check the speeds and exercise them. Check the self timer. check the light meter and see if it's accurate. You'll have to search for a manual
for light meter operation, mines not accurate so I use a hand held.
If everything works and the body doesn't have chips or lifting leather, best guess would be $600 to $900 dollar range. Check ebay sold listings.
There's a guy in California that's a Rollei expert, repairs and such. IIRC last name Fleenor ?????? You might check his site, he did have used models listed.
I haven't visited his site in 10 years. So YMMV.