Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2017, 04:29 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I won't be buying one, but I hope it sells a million, and that other manufacturers take note.

Chris
At the price they want for it at retail, they wll be selling it to the million richest hipsters in the world. I know it's probably no more expensive in relative terms than an S1a was at new release, but when a DSLR with an equivalent or better shutter mechanism and onboard metering etc. etc. can be made for a third of that, it simply isn't justified.

11-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I won't be buying one, but I hope it sells a million, and that other manufacturers take note.

Chris
I wonder how many Cosina-Voigtlander Bessaflexes were produced before they shut down production because they were unable to keep up with the demand for a new film slr.
11-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why do so many film users seem obsessed with using sixty year old technology instead of the later film cameras - it's not as if they produce different results.
11-25-2017, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Why do so many film users seem obsessed with using sixty year old technology instead of the later film cameras - it's not as if they produce different results.
Because the sixty year old technology continues to work when the batteries and the meter electronics (such as they are) no longer do. My MX and Spotmatics will keep going mechanically when their mainboards eventually die; my late father-in-law's P3 will not; my S1a has no electronics at all to fail.

11-25-2017, 05:17 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I wonder how many Cosina-Voigtlander Bessaflexes were produced before they shut down production because they were unable to keep up with the demand for a new film slr.

The Bessaflex was a pricey throwback, old-tech design targeted at a niche market,
not unlike the Nikon limited edition commemorative rangefinders sold in the 2000's.

Further it was discontinued more than ten years ago. A lot has happened since then.
Film popularity bottomed out. Anyone with an ear to the ground knows it is gaining again.

Chris
11-27-2017, 03:37 AM   #36
Pentaxian

The Bessaflex was a pricey throwback, old-tech design targeted at a niche market,
This is different how?
11-27-2017, 04:31 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is different how?
Quality and functionality, perhaps?

11-27-2017, 06:37 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Let's see: Cosina is a respected film slr camera body and aftermarket lens manufacturer that produced and sold a new SLR based on a classic design, that commands a premium price on the used market: Voigtlander Bessaflex TM Body Silver NEW | eBay

It did not set about to "crowdfund" a design mockup to hipster marks.

Yep, different!
11-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is different how?

A new Bessaflex body sold for $450 in 2003; used today they start at about that.
Fifteen years on the base Elbaflex with lens is currently priced at $299.
That's less than a new Nikon FM10 or Vivitar V3800N outfit.

I am not a fan of crowdfunding or hipsters, but as the major camera manufacturers
do not seem inclined to produce new film cameras today this may be the only way to get it done.

New film cameras are not a bad thing and certainly nothing to feel threatened by...

Chris
11-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Assuming people will get the film cameras they (believe they're) paying for.
11-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #41
Pentaxian

New film cameras
What qualifies them as "new" ?
11-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What qualifies them as "new" ?

New, old stock; never used = new.

Again it's not this camera I'd be interested in, but what comes after...

Chris
11-27-2017, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am not a fan of crowdfunding or hipsters, but as the major camera manufacturers
do not seem inclined to produce new film cameras today this may be the only way to get it done.
Too bad the Elbaflex is not new in any sense of the word. Edit: New perhaps in labeling and reduced feature set. I suspect that the Kickstarter campaign will fail as a result.

BTW...I don't believe that $299 for the Elbaflex basic gets you a lens. If you want a neo-Trioplan, along with the body, it will be a cool $700 more ($999). The Trioplan in F-mount retails for $999, so they are throwing the Elbaflex in for free...such a deal

Steve
11-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #44
Pentaxian

A new Bessaflex body sold for $450 in 2003; used today they start at about that.
Fifteen years on the base Elbaflex with lens is currently priced at $299.
That's less than a new Nikon FM10 or Vivitar V3800N outfit.

(...)
$299 is for the Elbaflex Base body only, not "with lens".

The Nikon FM10 or Vivitar V3800N have a light meter, the Elbaflex doesn't.
11-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #45
Pentaxian

New, old stock
I think they call that "remaindered", aka "old wine in new bottles" (and this is not "old" in a good way).