Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sony Playmemories App "Smoth Reflection" No need for ND Filter?

I tried this app out and It seems to work pretty good. It was windy and my Tripod ball head was overloaded with a Sony a7 and a Sony HDR-AS50 on a huge flash bracket but I think the software handled it well.

11-26-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to clarify, this is similar to using the composite mode on Pentax with more frames in a given time internal right? At first I thought it was going to be a graduated neutral density filter software but then I saw the video and understood it was for shooting long exposure style shots without an ND filter.
11-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just to clarify, this is similar to using the composite mode on Pentax with more frames in a given time internal right? At first I thought it was going to be a graduated neutral density filter software but then I saw the video and understood it was for shooting long exposure style shots without an ND filter.
Yes it is alot like bracketing or composite modes to get hdr shots but instead it blurs movement water and anything else. It can also take pictures of busy streets and effectively ghost all the people and moving vehicles leaving the buildings and structures sharp. It was my first time using it and with most cases I learn best in post to what I would do different next time. It is going to be 30km winds on Tuesday so I am going to lake Erie for another shoot

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 11-26-2017 at 09:42 AM.
11-28-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I went out today like I said and tried some more shots and got some fun results....and I got dumped on by a wave and it soaked me and my Sony A7 to the bone (well A7 is weather sealed not me...)

here is the moment before I got dumped on

here is the moment I got dumped on

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 11-29-2017 at 08:40 AM.
11-29-2017, 03:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Yes it is alot like bracketing or composite modes to get hdr shots but instead it blurs movement water and anything else. It can also take pictures of busy streets and effectively ghost all the people and moving vehicles leaving the buildings and structures sharp. It was my first time using it and with most cases I learn best in post to what I would do different next time. It is going to be 30km winds on Tuesday so I am going to lake Erie for another shoot
Pentax cameras have a mode which takes multiple exposures and averages them and gives similar results in camera. I wouldn't say it replaces ND filters, but if you own lenses where filters would be prohibitive due to size or just don't even have filter rings then it will serve.
11-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Pentax cameras have a mode which takes multiple exposures and averages them and gives similar results in camera. I wouldn't say it replaces ND filters, but if you own lenses where filters would be prohibitive due to size or just don't even have filter rings then it will serve.
My attempts at using this method are not current, but if I recall the intervals were measured in seconds, the mode here appears to be capable of very rapid successive images by comparison.
11-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My attempts at using this method are not current, but if I recall the intervals were measured in seconds, the mode here appears to be capable of very rapid successive images by comparison.
I typically would use a remote to trigger the images and you could take them as fast as the camera would cycle. 30 images in maybe 15 seconds?

But honestly the issue with all this stuff is that you can get weird effects. Not so much in my image, but some of the other posted have ghosting and such. ND filter is still probably preferable if you can use one.

11-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
But honestly the issue with all this stuff is that you can get weird effects. Not so much in my image, but some of the other posted have ghosting and such. ND filter is still probably preferable if you can use one.
The ghosting in the 4th image is a photographer and his girlfriend that were taking a few photos then moving to a new spot every few seconds because of the waves then standing still you would get ghosting with ND in that situation as well. there were about 10 other people walking along the beach that you can't see because essentially they are only being exposed at 1/64th the proper exposure per interval. I could have eliminated them with a higher numbers of shutter actuations if I wanted
11-29-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The ghosting in the 4th image is a photographer and his girlfriend that were taking a few photos then moving to a new spot every few seconds because of the waves then standing still you would get ghosting with ND in that situation as well. there were about 10 other people walking along the beach that you can't see because essentially they are only being exposed at 1/64th the proper exposure per interval. I could have eliminated them with a higher numbers of shutter actuations if I wanted
Sure. I guess I am just used to seeing more smoothness in the water with your typical 10 stop ND filter shot.

(By the way, it may be time for a sensor cleaning...)
11-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sure. I guess I am just used to seeing more smoothness in the water with your typical 10 stop ND filter shot. (By the way, it may be time for a sensor cleaning...)
I was shooting high noon with no clouds in the sky. The exposure for yesterday was at its lowest 1/80th iso100 f22. ND10 would only yield 10-13secs at f22 iso 100, 6secs at f16 and 3secs at f11. Now I need to try it on a cloudy day, under trees in sunrise or sunset I would be able to lower my shutter-speed to say 1 /20th for better results. I know I need to clean it, it's pretty bad..I just did my a6000 last week. I usually use the A7 at f5.6 or faster so I don't clean it as much. I'll figure this thing out..This was my second attempt.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 11-29-2017 at 02:00 PM.
11-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was shooting high noon with no clouds in the sky. The exposure for yesterday was at its lowest 1/80th iso100 f22. ND10 would only yield 10-13secs at f22 iso 100, 6secs at f16 and 3secs at f11. Now I need to try it on a cloudy day, under trees in sunrise or sunset I would be able to lower my shutter-speed to say 1 /20th for better results. I know I need to clean it, it's pretty bad..I just did my a6000 last week. I usually use the A7 at f5.6 or faster so I don't clean it as much. I'll figure this thing out..This was my second attempt.
It should work. Obviously you need a tripod which does limit it, but these techniques work pretty decently.
11-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It should work. Obviously you need a tripod which does limit it, but these techniques work pretty decently.
Yeah I am pretty sure if I can get the shutterspeed down to 1/20 or lower I can get a steamier look. The higher shuterspeed froze the spray and made the lake look like it was simmering/spattering. I am also going to try combining Nd8 and the Smooth Mirror App.
11-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah I am pretty sure if I can get the shutterspeed down to 1/20 or lower I can get a steamier look. The higher shuterspeed froze the spray and made the lake look like it was simmering/spattering. I am also going to try combining Nd8 and the Smooth Mirror App.
I would think you just need more shots if your shutter speed is faster. Maybe a hundred for a 1/80 shutter speed.

My shot was 1/30 second and had 30-ish shots.