Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2B1 Quote
Surfar. Are you still trying to sell this camera? And why?
Are you still not trying to buy this camera and WHY?

03-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #32
2B1
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Are you still not trying to buy this camera and WHY?
Sarfar. You might want to try a fuji forum ,
Better still why dont you go to a fuji forum and tell them how good the pentax kp is and the Pentax K1.

Regards
03-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
YOU, might learn to spell correctly!

Better still why dont you go to a fuji forum and tell them how good the pentax kp is and the Pentax K1.
Well, i could tell them how good the K-1 is...but ive never heard of a K1...is that an early edition of a K9?
As for the KP,i dont own one but do own 7 digital Pentax bodies,one for each day of the week...i suppose when that Beatles song comes true i might be able to fit a KP into the stable.[COLOR="Silver"]
03-17-2018, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Regards
There's nothing wrong with getting excited over new gear that isn't Pentax. Many members here are users of two (or more) systems and that's not a problem on this forum. Please don't make the forum a less tolerant place.

Personally I think the H1 looks nice, though if I was going for a really good Fuji body I'd go for the T1. The H1 and T1 both look over-priced when you take the A7III and the K-1 into account, both of which are full frame. Still, new gear is always good to see.

03-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Surfar. Are you still trying to sell this camera? And why?

This camera is Fuji biggest mistake.

Between the Pentax KP, Pentax K1 and the Sony A7iii , this camera comes in at a very poor 4th.

Regards
Well, probably from a body-only evaluation. Taking into consideration the lens selection my personal verdict would be slightly different
03-18-2018, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

IMHO, and your mileage may definitely vary on this issue...

A camera is not the sum of its specifications. Ergonomics/ haptics come into play, and since people's hands and fingers are different sizes and may or may not have issues such as arthritis, what works best for one person may work worst for another. And the system has to be considered as well.

I left Fuji once, after trying various cameras. I like their design and Kaizen, and find the IQ plenty acceptable. For me, they were all too small for anything other than snapshot cameras. I recently picked up an X100F to have a quality, small snapshot camera with me when not planning on taking photos. I love it, for what it is. I cannot do an all-day event with it. When the X-H1 was rumored and then announced, I decided to try it and see if it had been enlarged just enough for my hands. It was. I still need some lengthy events to verify, but based on the fit in my hand, I'll be surprised if it gives me the same pain my X-T1 did after a day shooting.

I don't see the X-H1 as a mistake by Fuji. They received a lot of feedback from users and potential system switchers. I see the X-H line as an addition to the existing lineup, one that will be attractive to those who want the features it offers. And I doubt Fuji will abandon the smaller footprint cameras most have come to love.

I still have my K-1, FA Ltd trio, and DA*200. For me, the X-H1 is not a replacement for the K-1. For now, I'll be keeping and enjoying both.

Last edited by Pentikonian; 03-18-2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: better formating
03-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #37
2B1
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
IMHO, and your mileage may definitely vary on this issue...

A camera is not the sum of its specifications. Ergonomics/ haptics come into play, and since people's hands and fingers are different sizes and may or may not have issues such as arthritis, what works best for one person may work worst for another. And the system has to be considered as well.

I left Fuji once, after trying various cameras. I like their design and Kaizen, and find the IQ plenty acceptable. For me, they were all too small for anything other than snapshot cameras. I recently picked up an X100F to have a quality, small snapshot camera with me when not planning on taking photos. I love it, for what it is. I cannot do an all-day event with it. When the X-H1 was rumored and then announced, I decided to try it and see if it had been enlarged just enough for my hands. It was. I still need some lengthy events to verify, but based on the fit in my hand, I'll be surprised if it gives me the same pain my X-T1 did after a day shooting.

I don't see the X-H1 as a mistake by Fuji. They received a lot of feedback from users and potential system switchers. I see the X-H line as an addition to the existing lineup, one that will be attractive to those who want the features it offers. And I doubt Fuji will abandon the smaller footprint cameras most have come to love.

I still have my K-1, FA Ltd trio, and DA*200. For me, the X-H1 is not a replacement for the K-1. For now, I'll be keeping and enjoying both.
Ok , Maybe not a mistake but with the launch of K 1 ii and A7iii ,
And at this cameras pricepoint , it faces Stiff competition.

Regards

03-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the thing is that folks who like Fuji love Fuji. This particular camera adds slight improved video (probably not up to Panasonic standards, but still pretty good) and in body shake reduction (which Pentaxians and Sony folks have used for quite a long time). It isn't unusual that Fuji products are priced a little high in the market, but if your fan base loves you enough, then it's a good thing as they have plenty of money going forward to continue to develop new lenses and bodies.

The tough thing in the long run is that they have cut themselves out of the full frame market through their mount size. That isn't the end of the world, but there are some pretty nice full frame cameras in the 2000 dollar range and I would be surprised if top end APS-C cameras can still sell there in the long run.
03-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The tough thing in the long run is that they have cut themselves out of the full frame market through their mount size.
Well,its not so tough from Fuji's point of view.They have stated many times that they arent interested in FF.They chose a bigger sensor size to expand their market share because they believed that was an area where they could SELL cameras and consequently lenses.

there are some pretty nice full frame cameras in the 2000 dollar range and I would be surprised if top end APS-C cameras can still sell there in the long run.
Well, the success of the D500 is well known.Price isnt a factor for people that see the need for specific features and have their investment in that systems glass.Bodies continue to evolve and go up in price,of course.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Exactly,when Fuji develop a camera they listen VERY well to their user base.The user base wanted IBIS and upgraded video and thats what the XH-1 is aimed at.Its just that the stills performance was slightly improved as well.When Kaizen comes, Fuji video will catch up to the leaders(Panasonic/$ony).The fact that the two Cine lenses were produced makes it clear that XH-1 is the start of high end hybrid devices in Apsc.
03-24-2018, 09:22 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
.Bodies continue to evolve and go up in price,of course.
The price goes up because volumes go down. See Last Camera Syndrome
03-24-2018, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The price goes up because volumes go down
OH, i suppose the cost of labour and components and R&D doesnt influence price either?

THAT guy (Nasim Mansurov) has an opinion,however "Despite the technical appeal of mirrorless cameras,their market penetration and resulting sales has been fairly low"

Hmmm, last year i'd say for every M/L camera sold 1.8 Dslrs was sold, if thats "fairly low" i think Nasim doesnt know.

With the CaNik FF M/L under development i'll guess within 2 years of their release the parity between M/L and Dslr will be "fairly high"...So in 2020/1 we will see.
03-25-2018, 12:19 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

I think the thing is that folks who like Fuji love Fuji. This particular camera adds slight improved video (probably not up to Panasonic standards, but still pretty good) and in body shake reduction (which Pentaxians and Sony folks have used for quite a long time). It isn't unusual that Fuji products are priced a little high in the market, but if your fan base loves you enough, then it's a good thing as they have plenty of money going forward to continue to develop new lenses and bodies.

The tough thing in the long run is that they have cut themselves out of the full frame market through their mount size. That isn't the end of the world, but there are some pretty nice full frame cameras in the 2000 dollar range and I would be surprised if top end APS-C cameras can still sell there in the long run.
Fuji people do seem to be very dedicated to the brand, I suspect because of the unique benefits of the system. As a Fuji user myself I can certainly see why - despite having only older X system gear, it just keeps turning out great photos.

I don't see the mount size as an error in any way, I think that they made a solid decision in making the mount only as big as required by the APS-C format. Otherwise they'd have lost some of the size benefit of APS-C mirrorless, and they don't have a recent legacy system that they needed to shoe-horn compatibility into. It demonstrates their dedication to the APS-C format, something that Pentax has very much lost in recent years, and makes future product decisions easier while forcing them to really do their utmost for APS-C without having to think about how design decisions might affect a potential future FF.
03-25-2018, 02:27 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Fuji people do seem to be very dedicated to the brand, I suspect because of the unique benefits of the system. As a Fuji user myself I can certainly see why - despite having only older X system gear, it just keeps turning out great photos.

I don't see the mount size as an error in any way, I think that they made a solid decision in making the mount only as big as required by the APS-C format. Otherwise they'd have lost some of the size benefit of APS-C mirrorless, and they don't have a recent legacy system that they needed to shoe-horn compatibility into. It demonstrates their dedication to the APS-C format, something that Pentax has very much lost in recent years, and makes future product decisions easier while forcing them to really do their utmost for APS-C without having to think about how design decisions might affect a potential future FF.
You say that, but lets compare them to Sony. When Sony designed the e mount, they made it large enough for full frame, even though initially they only had APS-C lenses and cameras and the alpha mount was their full frame mount. The lenses are still pretty small, because the lens size is more dependent on the speed of the aperture and the registration distance than the diameter of the lens mount.

As time passed, they applied what they had learned from APS-C mirrorless cameras to full frame cameras and I imagine they would lose a large number of sales if they cut out full frame sales.

As far as Pentax goes, I think they are fully committed to APS-C. They just are slow about everything they do right now.
03-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I really like Fuji and if I was shooting an APS-C dedicated system I would probably be using Fuji. But, they are behind the competition in many ways and they are expensive. I do love the glass that they have and the manual controls.
03-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What most upsetting is - ML market seems to get all the new and daring lens development. Look at Laowa new 9mm (holy cow) rectilinear design. Seems reducing the flange distance provides more space for experimentation. My switch from ML to dslr was intentional, and overall I'm happy with what I have. However, all this new exciting gear is slowly chipping away at my armor I'm hoping true K-1 upgrade will be more substantial, I can wait few more years)

I'd buy this Fuji if I was looking for a top tier apsc body, their lens selection seems quite nice, and design is great)