Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Not by much - A6000 is 310/360 (EVF vs LCD), GX-85 is ~ 290, G-7 is ~ 360.

All poor by most DSLR standards, of course.
The g7 is practically the same size as a Pentax k s2. Not what OP is considering.

12-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GX-7 is 320 shots if anyone is counting. The batteries are small like the K-50/K-70 series uses not large like the K-3, K-1, etc.

The GX-1 is discontinued. I bought mine used. I don't recommend it over the choices you mention unless Size is absolutely needed. There are newer smaller cameras but few with the controls and capability - the sensor is long in the tooth and the files are not as clean as I would like. Still... not bad overall for a really light and small carry option.

Since I have the GX-7 back from my dad I don't use the GX-1 much anymore. It's such a minor jump in size - granted the thickness is more of an issue.

---------- Post added 12-11-17 at 11:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
This is a better option than the Omd 10 mk2, imo,similar price...and will fit the pocket easier than Oly.

---------- Post added 12-12-17 at 09:28 AM ----------

Its worth it,

The 2 cameras you have nominated have difficult menus...Pentax and Panasonic have simple menus.Its pleasureable to use a good menu.
In theory the EM-10-MKIII is much better in this respect. But there are tradeoffs - loss of functionality with the mk iii vs. mk ii. See here for one opinion on the comparison of the two cameras and who should buy which: Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II vs OM-D E-M10 Mark III – The complete comparison (more supporting info in the article - this links to the conclusion.
12-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, ive seen the critiscim of the changes that some people have stated.

I wouldnt buy the mark 2 due to the difficult menu, its discounted due to the mark 3 a/ being more user friendly
b/having faster AF
c/shooting 4K video from a stabilised body
d/having the latest series 8 processor
U$649 versus $499....The release price is the same as when the mark 2 was released but its an updated camera....so far i cant fault it

One feature that is unique and was a major buying motivater for me is CLIPS, the camera will shoot 2/4/8 second videos and combine them in camera then add music.So in effect you can have an outing and make a movie recording of that event.NO EDITING. i like that!

---------- Post added 12-12-17 at 04:14 PM ----------

12-11-2017, 11:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

One feature that is unique and was a major buying motivater for me is CLIPS, the camera will shoot 2/4/8 second videos and combine them in camera then add music.So in effect you can have an outing and make a movie recording of that event.NO EDITING.
Some Sony mobile phones do a similar thing. Un-announced. Shortly after I bought my Z5 mobile a few years ago, and had taken a few photos with it, I got a message from the phone telling me a 'Highlights Movie' movie was ready for me to play. WTF?, I thought. And there it was - a HD movie contructed from my recent photos, with a sound track, music, titling, fading, and even concluding with a link to post it to Facebook. It looked pretty good too. I have let the phone continue to do this automatically now. It's very interesting to watch a visual story being crafted out of images that are usually totally banal throwaways.

The Xperia™ Movie Creator automatically creates short videos using existing photos and videos. The application automatically determines the timeline to create its movie. For example, it can take a selection of photos and videos from a Saturday afternoon outing or from a weekly, monthly, even a yearly period and create a movie for you. When this highlight-style movie is ready, you get notified.

And here's where it gets creepy:

If you log in to a Facebook account, you can create Highlight Movies from your Facebook events, featuring photos from the event, friends’ names, and more.
Movie Creator ? Sony Xperia Z5 support (English)

Sony and Olympus must be sharing some of this software.

Off topic, sorry.

12-12-2017, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Off topic, sorry.
No thats good, ive just got the $$$$ony Z3, havent explored it much yet...i know it does 4K,i wonder if it makes a video.So far ive only shot stills with it.

Does the Z5 over heat?...i put the Z3 on tempory wifi hot spot and its HOT quickly,much quicker than my Samsung.
12-12-2017, 02:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Does the Z5 over heat?..
I've never had it overheat. But I don't do much CPU intensive stuff on it like video, gaming, nor hotspotting.

The warmest I've felt it get is after a while shooting 4K video, but it has never cut out from overheating or anything. But I can certainly understand how it might potentially get real hot if you push it. Not a lot of heat dissipation possible in such a small, dense, sealed body.

Sony seems to have a lot of problems with heat and 4K video, not just in phones. A6300 and A6500 in particular have a lot of people complaining about it.
12-12-2017, 02:32 AM   #22
Pentaxian

A6300 and A6500 in particular
I knew the 6300 wasnt good but i thought the 6500 fixed that problem, apparently not?

I better read the manual for the Z3 and see how i can capture video.

12-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Deal closed. Thanks for the comments.

I was expecting to spend $500-$600 with kit lens. Both the A6000 and E-M10ii are in that range with current sales. The Panasonic GX85 was considerable above that range when I looked a few weeks ago.

Well, B&H (and others) now have the GX85, 12-32 lens, plus 40-150, bag, memory card for $597. The Panasonic 12-32 kit lens has a very good reputation. Sold!
12-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

I was expecting to spend $500-$600 with kit lens. Both the A6000 and E-M10ii are in that range with current sales. The Panasonic GX85 was considerable above that range when I looked a few weeks ago.

Well, B&H (and others) now have the GX85, 12-32 lens, plus 40-150, bag, memory card for $597. The Panasonic 12-32 kit lens has a very good reputation. Sold!

Thats a great deal. Also the small 12-32 lens by panasonic is a decent lens. Makes for a small kit for travels as well.

12-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Holy moley!!! I need to scrape up some cash.
12-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Thats a great deal. Also the small 12-32 lens by panasonic is a decent lens. Makes for a small kit for travels as well.
Yes,excellent.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Holy moley!!! I need to scrape up some cash.
YES!

Whichever option you chose would have been good.Everything mentioned is very capable.

But M43 now gives you MANY options for lenses....i rate the 12-32 as amongst the better kittish lens offerings(in good light.}

If,you are considering any primes in the future,Oly 45mmf1.8 is excellent as is the Pano 20mm f1.7.So a 40 and 90 FOV.