Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Perhaps, but after what happened with the Canon SX-60, we should probably see a few in action before making such a grandiose claim.
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I have
You've already made extensive use of a camera that will be delivered in September???????

07-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Now, this is the wrong thread in which to be talking about the Nikon P1000. There is another thread for it
A Bridge too far?...i doubt it.Nikon P1000. - PentaxForums.com
and anything more I have to say about it I will say in that thread.

Further more, there is limited connection between the two subjects. Apart from people like me who might adapt a long lens to a Q, I don't see much competition between a "super-zoom bridge camera" and a MILC such as an NX or Q. The cameras have completely different strengths and weaknesses.
07-11-2018, 03:41 AM   #78
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've mentioned here on these forums before about the Panasonic DMC-FZ62 I bought from my Dad back in March, primarily as a small favour to free up some funds so he could buy a compact waterproof camera. I thought it would be fun to play with, and it is... but it's turned out to be a really useful photographic tool, and one I find myself using quite often.

The sensor is tiny - just 1/2.33" - but the 25-600mm (equivalent) lens is really very good indeed, and coupled with Panasonic's excellent in-camera image processing, it takes great photos. Of course, it can't compete with an APS-C or full-frame sensor for detail and noise performance (though it does far better than I expected), but having such a wide focal length range and decent image quality in one light-weight camera is very handy. In fact, the only way I can achieve the same field of view and magnification at the long end with my better kit is to use my big, heavy Hasselblad HV and equally big, heavy Tamron 150-600. That produces far better image quality in a wider range of lighting, but it's literally a pain to carry around all day. I can get photos with the little Panasonic that I wouldn't take with any of my other gear, simply because of the size, weight and convenience. There's rarely a valid excuse to leave home without it...

A bridge camera can be a very useful addition to one's kit. I'm sure the new Nikon will do well...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-11-2018 at 03:47 AM.
07-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I can get photos with the little Panasonic that I wouldn't take with any of my other gear, simply because of the size, weight and convenience. There's rarely a valid excuse to leave home without it...

A bridge camera can be a very useful addition to one's kit. I'm sure the new Nikon will do well...
This is the key to these cameras. They do not challenge cameras with bigger sensors for normal photography but they allow us occasionally to capture images we would just not get otherwise. Also they are nice a ersatz binoculars

07-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #80
Pentaxian

This thread is supposed to be about a revival of the NX line.

The following material is much more relevant to that question than is a discussion of the Nikon P1000
10 Years On: How the iPhone Killed Big Camera - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
07-11-2018, 08:36 AM   #81
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This thread is supposed to be about a revival of the NX line.

The following material is much more relevant to that question than is a discussion of the Nikon P1000
10 Years On: How the iPhone Killed Big Camera - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
My apologies; I'd missed that. That'll teach me to reply in a thread without reading the whole thing
07-11-2018, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
My apologies; I'd missed that. That'll teach me to reply in a thread without reading the whole thing
We tend to drift a bit during conversation. The Nikon discussion probably does need to be segmented and the answer to the OP is likely just a simple, "Nope, not real."

07-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #83
Veteran Member

On a semi-related note, samsung and fuji are working together on new sensor tech and samsung has made statements about wanting to overtake Sony in the sensor market. This may not lead to an NX-2 but it will lead to more competition in sensor tech.
07-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
On a semi-related note, samsung and fuji are working together on new sensor tech and samsung has made statements about wanting to overtake Sony in the sensor market. This may not lead to an NX-2 but it will lead to more competition in sensor tech.
Is there any reliable confirmation on this? It has sounded like a rumor site rumor to me.
07-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #85
Veteran Member

The Samsung-Fuji collaboration is official.

The Samsung overtaking Sony bit might be speculation. Samsung is rapidly ramping up sensor production but that might be in response to the growing trend in dual rear facing cameras (which might lead to dual front facing cameras.). However I doubt that Fuji would help Samsung without expecting something in return. It would make sense if Samsung started making aps-c sized sensors for Fuji.
07-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
The Samsung-Fuji collaboration is official.

The Samsung overtaking Sony bit might be speculation. Samsung is rapidly ramping up sensor production but that might be in response to the growing trend in dual rear facing cameras (which might lead to dual front facing cameras.). However I doubt that Fuji would help Samsung without expecting something in return. It would make sense if Samsung started making aps-c sized sensors for Fuji.
Right now Samsung's prime mission seems to be keeping pace with Apple iPhones. If they can do something else that makes money and doesn't harm that prime mission, why not?