Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 602 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2022, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
Our for a trip today, Amherst Nova Scotia, Canada.
Canon G5X mkII
Nice! "I'll just skip out this door to the stairs..."

07-27-2022, 07:01 AM - 2 Likes   #317
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Our for a trip today, Amherst Nova Scotia, Canada.
Canon G5X mkII
The first step out that door is a lulu.
07-27-2022, 07:03 AM - 4 Likes   #318
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A brooch made in France in the early 1300's, found in a river in Sweden. It's suspected of being part of the dowry of Queen Blanka, 1335. The two crops (from the same image file) give an idea of the intricate detail of this piece. Sony RX10m4. This "megazoom" camera is really versatile.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
07-31-2022, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We recently got a puppy, so the need for a different type of camera became a need for me. I always had a Canon G5xmkII but the zoom is a little short at times. It came down to the Sony RX100 line. But then I found out, yea late, about the RX10 line. So a week ago I got the RX10M4. For me it fits the bill perfectly, beyond what I expected. going to take me a while to figure out completely if I ever will. So now I have great zoom, and I can use the camera one handed with a dog in the other hand. Another thing happened to me, photography is fun again, I even like the picture modes.
Here is Molly (21 weeks) drying after her first swim.

And here is a crop to show a fly and detail.

Last edited by zippythezip; 07-31-2022 at 09:12 PM.
08-02-2022, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #320
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

. So a week ago I got the RX10M4. For me it fits the bill perfectly, beyond what I expected. going to take me a while to figure out completely if I ever will. So now I have great zoom, and I can use the camera one handed with a dog in the other hand. Another thing happened to me,

I purchased an RX10M4 to cut down on the amount of equipment I needed to carry when vacation-traveling. The lens has continued to please and surprise me with the IQ it can deliver at any focal length(look at the crops of the brooch image I posted just above). , Even at the FF equivalent of 600mm f4 the image quality is more that sufficient for my purposes. The only complaints I have 1) it is a bit heavy, but nothing like carrying the equivalent focal-length range in MFT lenses; 2) it isn't always wide enough. The excellent sweep panorama mode solves this for many outdoor images which are commonly panos, but for interiors it doesn't always work. To solve that I took along an Oly EM5 plus a Venus/Laowa 7.5mm rectilinear (f2.0, perfect for interiors) and a Samyang 7.5mm fish-eye (far better IQ than it should be at the price).

Last edited by WPRESTO; 08-12-2022 at 06:49 AM.
08-12-2022, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #321
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Three images from Tivoli Garden, two of a classic spinning chairs ride, and one (of many that I took) of a youth marching band. The ages of kids in the band must have ranged from pre-teen to 19 years as the boys (I did not see any girls) looked near adult to barely big enough to hold their instrument. Sony rx10m4, a remarkably versatile and satisfactory travel camera. Notice the boy toward the left who seems to be peering at me over the shoulders of taller boys between us.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 08-12-2022 at 10:52 AM.
08-13-2022, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #322
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A few random clicks from RX100 II today

08-13-2022, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #323
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony RX10M4, a restaurant in Tivoli Garden that was built to look like a boat. It was closed when we were there.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
09-19-2022, 08:14 AM - 2 Likes   #324
Pentaxian

The Sony sensor in the Air 2S drone is really nice.

09-20-2022, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #325
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A "drop" ride. You pull on a rope to get yourself to the top (the rope operates some kind of electrical lift, the faster you pull on the rope, the faster you go up). Sony RX10M4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX10M4  Photo 
09-26-2022, 01:59 AM   #326
Pentaxian

Another Air 2S shot, very low light

10-08-2022, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I must say I am intrigued. I have the smaller sensor version mini 2, but now looking at whether I should upgrade to the 1" Mini 3. Nice shots.

Recent business travels, after hours:

Salish Sea
by Aaron, on Flickr
10-09-2022, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #328
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of several species of aster blooming wonderfully at the moment. There are 15 or more species of aster in MessyChewBits, Sony RX100MVI
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M6  Photo 
10-10-2022, 02:49 AM   #329

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
One of several species of aster blooming wonderfully at the moment. There are 15 or more species of aster in MessyChewBits, Sony RX100MVI
What's the line in the top to middle of the left side of that image of the flowers?

What are the isos you are using? I like the grain in the picture of these flowers, but I think the grain in the image of the brooch (I guess less favorable light in that setting) is getting distracting.

---------- Post added 10-10-22 at 03:05 ----------

Had some 1 inch decisions lately:

I tried a Nikon AW 1. It is an interesting concept but a horrible camera. There's a piece of glass in front of the sensor to keep it waterproof, and with some dirt or light the exposure goes haywire when the slightest bit of light comes from the front and reflects. Flaky electronics (lens shutter stops working at both end of the zooms), lack of iso sensitivity lack of manual modes does the rest. I lost more than hundred bucks in buying and resale

I decided to get rid of my Fujifilm x-t100 and trade it in for some Pentax gear, and stick to my ZV-1 for the quick family snapshots and video. That f1/8 lens is doing a lot of work and the crazy AF and automatic ND do the rest. I run everything in shutter priority and just turn the dial from 50 for video to whatever faster shutter time that works for photos. Can get so many shots that work despite the lack of dynamic range, just do exposure bracketing and select the nicest With the X-T100 I might have been doing something wrong, but I had a very very very low keep rate...

One issue I have with the ZV-1 is that I often accidentally end up in product presentation mode and lose the eye-AF. there seems to be a button shortcut I accidentally press but with the Sony menu I can for the life of me don't find how to change it

Last edited by pimpim; 10-10-2022 at 03:08 AM.
10-10-2022, 05:06 AM   #330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
What's the line in the top to middle of the left side of that image of the flowers?

What are the isos you are using? I like the grain in the picture of these flowers, but I think the grain in the image of the brooch (I guess less favorable light in that setting) is getting distracting.

The dark line certainly looks like a hair resting on the sensor. If it is, I have no Idea how to remove it = disadvantage of a fixed-lens camera.

The asters were taken at ISO 650.

The brooch was taken at USO 1250 and it was in very poor lighting in the "gold room" in the basement of a museum. Of course the two crops of the brooch make the grain more obvious.

The ISO and all other exposure data is available by clicking on the "view picture EXIF" at the upper left of any posted image, if it is there. At least in the procedure I use to prepare an image for posting it is possible to include or remove the EXIF data.

FOLLOWUP. I went back and checked the image files taken immediately before and after the aster image posted above with what looks like a hair on the left edge. That image is the only one that shows the hair. Here is the image taken immediately before the one posted above and there is no sign of that little black whateveritis. The plane of focus is a little further back in this image, so I don't like it as well as the one posted above with the plane of focus through the foremost blossoms.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M6  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-10-2022 at 09:56 AM.