Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There's a
Theres surfboard makers like that too...They die with their craft....I observe plenty and camera stuff is part of that.

In 3 years there will be photographic devices that are dreams right now,I'm wondering if RI will have any?...The gulf right now is significant,will it deepen?...I think this years offering will be a good indicator!

02-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Theres surfboard makers like that too...They die with their craft....I observe plenty and camera stuff is part of that.

In 3 years there will be photographic devices that are dreams right now,I'm wondering if RI will have any?...The gulf right now is significant,will it deepen?...I think this years offering will be a good indicator!
Well, for some, the K-1 is still their dream camera (it was their fantasy camera before it was released just two years ago). Many (most?) will be happy with incremental improvements in the majority of areas, with perhaps some bigger jumps in others. The gulf really only matters - only exists, in fact - if you try to compare Pentax directly with Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus etc., and the gulf is in different areas for each of those. If you treat Pentax as an individual niche brand, most of it is unimportant. It's doing a lot of things very well.

I think Pentax cameras will continue to improve this year, next year, and the year after - and they'll continue to sell well enough. There'll be new people joining the user base as a result, and some people leaving due to dissatisfaction. But I'm pretty confident there's a very good future for Pentax, just as there is for other niche brands. The next completely new FF model in a year or two will be an important yardstick, I think...
02-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The next completely new FF model in a year or two will be an important yardstick, I think...
Yes, and no...FF only matters to that % that use it.We dont know the % and polls on here dont give a true indication.RI know though, its their statisical sales results(but they are top secret,ha ha).A lot depends on the availability of FF glass too.

A much more important factor is the next dual card Apsc body.Whens it coming and what will it be capable of????....IS there one coming???

Theres much talk of limited resources to develop new things, Q seems extinct...645?not much new stuff lately...."like a Rolling Stone,no direction home"...

---------- Post added 02-27-18 at 11:37 AM ----------

Well, for some, the K-1 is still their dream camera
But for others its "just a camera"...ha ha Different people have different perspectives.I'm hopeful the enthusiasm of the upgrade will be justified,it builds on the K-1s strengths which is the reason to purchase any item.
02-26-2018, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Theres much talk of limited resources to develop new things, Q seems extinct...645?not much new stuff lately...."like a Rolling Stone,no direction home"...
I think it's true... there really is limited resource. And for some, the developments won't be enough. A small percentage will really need the extra developments. Many will want but not actually need them. And many will be happy so long as things progress. There'll be some extra focus on certain formats, perhaps, and less on others... perhaps. Some great new products, some not so great. Not everyone will be happy... same as it ever was. A few people will leave Pentax, a few will join, but most will continue along their current paths. These are my predictions for the next three years