Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Maybe. But it's likely to create a "Sony line-eater" problem to go with the "Sony star-eater" problem.

The central problem with any kind of artifact removal software is in what it does to image features that just happen to look similar to the artifact. Hair, spider's webs, star trails, thin edges on buildings, fire works, etc. all can create thin lines that may be horizontal or vertical in some part of the image. Based on the strip-artifact images being presented, an astounding 17% of all the pixels of the A7Riii sensor have the potential to show this effect. That means the chance of some linear image feature getting eaten by the post processor would be quite high.
I absolutely agree that it's not a perfect solution. Nor is the "Edge noise reduction" software function for high contrast edge artefacts, frankly. It reduces edge sharpness, requiring even more processing to offset that. But it gives the photographer a fighting chance of salvaging the photo, and that's what I'm suggesting for this on-sensor phase detect artefact - a software function that might allow affected photos to be salvaged; perhaps not without some IQ cost, but preferable to losing the photo altogether

Note that I'm not suggesting it's built into the camera's firmware. The camera should record the scene as the sensor sees it, and with Sony's current technology that means we have to accept that some photos may be affected in certain lighting situations. But a post-processing option to improve affected photos could lessen the sting

04-14-2018, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I absolutely agree that it's not a perfect solution. Nor is the "Edge noise reduction" software function for high contrast edge artefacts, frankly. It reduces edge sharpness, requiring even more processing to offset that. But it gives the photographer a fighting chance of salvaging the photo, and that's what I'm suggesting for this on-sensor phase detect artefact - a software function that might allow affected photos to be salvaged; perhaps not without some IQ cost, but preferable to losing the photo altogether

Note that I'm not suggesting it's built into the camera's firmware. The camera should record the scene as the sensor sees it, and with Sony's current technology that means we have to accept that some photos may be affected in certain lighting situations. But a post-processing option to improve affected photos could lessen the sting
Agreed!

Sony's software certainly can know exactly which rows and columns of the image are prone to the effect. And they can certainly offer a slider for the aggressiveness of the artifact removal. What I would fear is that in some categories of scenes (e.g., backlit hair) that every setting of the slider would be really ugly with a trade-off between the amount of "dandruff" in the hair from uncorrected artifacts versus disembodied hair fibers from over-corrected artifacts.

Perhaps Sony owners need to avoid back-lit brides the way Pentax owners need to avoid drunken bicyclists.
04-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I thought you said it wasn't an issue
NO, i didnt say that at all...what i did say is that one particular photographer didnt have an issue in his "over 4100 shots".Another reviewer said he hadnt encountered the problem but went on to say that it may occur for some situations.
As has been stated,this banding has been occuring, in certain situations with $$$ony bodies for quite a while.
Theres a reason this body is on top of some sales charts(at this point in time).People are recognising the positive attributes of how it performs.
04-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
NO, i didnt say that at all...what i did say is that one particular photographer didnt have an issue in his "over 4100 shots".Another reviewer said he hadnt encountered the problem but went on to say that it may occur for some situations.
As has been stated,this banding has been occuring, in certain situations with $$$ony bodies for quite a while.
Theres a reason this body is on top of some sales charts(at this point in time).People are recognising the positive attributes of how it performs.
Or, $$$ony's marketing $$$ are working!

04-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Or, $$$ony's marketing $$$ are working!
Yes, that will have a certain influence....IT pays to ADVERTISE!...Just disregard the fact that the A7iii is bang for buck,the banding comes as an added feature.
04-14-2018, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adriandavidpayne Quote
I'm here to tell you the Problem is Real! I got the camera yesterday.
That's a drawback of on-sensor AF technology , that's never going to be as clean as a system free of AF sensor matrix on top of the image sensor. If the K1 had that kind a stripes, it would already have developed into a 100 pages long threat. But if this is Sony then it's barely noticeable.
04-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a drawback of on-sensor AF technology , that's never going to be as clean as a system free of AF sensor matrix on top of the image sensor. If the K1 had that kind a stripes, it would already have developed into a 100 pages long threat. But if this is Sony then it's barely noticeable.
So true!

And it also reflects a difference in the user populations and whether the users care more about high-quality photography or high-spec gadgetry. Both are valid and successful product strategies. People buy cameras for many reasons and enjoy their cameras for many different reasons. But the two strategies lead to different kinds of products and different kinds of "issues" that are largely ignored by the brand's customers and largely rubbished by the customers of other brands.

Suffice to say, a many Pentax owners find Sony products to be inferior and many Sony owners find Pentax products to be inferior which is why each category of owner bought what they bought.

04-14-2018, 12:34 PM - 3 Likes   #38
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Suffice to say, a many Pentax owners find Sony products to be inferior and many Sony owners find Pentax products to be inferior which is why each category of owner bought what they bought.
Where does that leave me, huh?

I'm unpopular with Pentax fans because I like Sony gear, and unpopular with Sony fans because I like Pentax.

Then again, I never did care much about popularity
04-14-2018, 02:49 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

I'm unpopular with Pentax fans because I like Sony gear, and unpopular with Sony fans because I like Pentax.

Honestly, I think you enjoy both the "gear" and the photography in equal measure. And like most multi-system users, you use each system for its strengths and don't mind the weaknesses because your other system covers them. As such, you are not the typical fan who supports only one team and cannot stand to hear anything bad said of their baby.

It seems fitting that a moderator would believe in moderation when it comes to being a fan.
04-14-2018, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Right down here in the BOTTOM section...ha ha.

I like Sony gear
When they fix the weather sealing, $$$ony may get some of my money...Spec wise they certainly bring lots to the game.

Theres some users on here that will report un negative stuff as time goes on,i'll look forward to seeing the strengths of the A7iii.
04-14-2018, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, I think you enjoy both the "gear" and the photography in equal measure. And like most multi-system users, you use each system for its strengths and don't mind the weaknesses because your other system covers them. As such, you are not the typical fan who supports only one team and cannot stand to hear anything bad said of their baby.
Ha ha! You, sir, are a gentleman

You're quite right, though... I flip between my two (three?? A + E-mount?) systems for different things because I find them preferable or somewhat more suitable for certain applications. But I'm also a fairly undemanding photographer... If I had to give up most of my equipment tomorrow and keep just one camera and a few compatible lenses (or choose a new camera and a couple of lenses from a different brand), I know that I'd be quite happy and well-served with that limited setup - at least from a photography perspective, if not the gear aspect.

Well, Nikon might be the hardest choice for me, if only for the flange focal distance

It seems fitting that a moderator would believe in moderation when it comes to being a fan.
A happy coincidence, and nothing more
04-14-2018, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

And like most multi-system users, you use each system for its strengths and don't mind the weaknesses because your other system covers them.
Exactly, I see all the systems with strengths...I dont own CaNikOny though at this stage.

Theres lots of choice,older models are still very capable(i wont ever sell my 200d) and if you can find well cared for examples,Great Value.With the body advancements coming rapidly from most brands, its not costly "trying out",add in the abundance of AF adapters emerging and lots of glass can be utilised.
04-14-2018, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exactly. Personally I cannot image living and dying by only one camera brand. I enjoy using Pentax ASP-C, Sony FF,
and ASP-C, and Panasonic M4/3. I use them all regularly to each of their strengths. I see no reason to waste time
agonizing over a perceived lack of features. Learn the equipment you do have and improve your technique.
Fully understanding how to create a desirable photo seems to be a better use of one's time, than whining
or expressing unreasonable expectations.
04-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adriandavidpayne Quote
I'm here to tell you the Problem is Real! I got the camera yesterday.

Heres an honest evaluation of the banding and how to avoid it....I'm not suggesting you go and drop U$4500 on the A9 though.
04-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #45
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I discuss the Sony a7iii banding issue is it real? - YouTube

Heres an honest evaluation of the banding and how to avoid it....I'm not suggesting you go and drop U$4500 on the A9 though.
Interesting, but that's a different issue. What he's showing is banding due to electronic shutter / sensor readout speed and lighting refresh frequency. The sensor stripe problem is a different thing, caused by aggressive front lighting / flare reacting with the PDAF portions of the sensor...