Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Now model for counterfeiting announced

Leica prototype becomes world?s most expensive camera | News | DW | 10.03.2018

03-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah, but Leica already ripped it off themselves a few years back.

The market's already flooded!
03-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Fools and their money....
03-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, I have to say I don't mind the high price paid for the authentic null-series Leica.

It's good to see someone, somewhere, has deep pockets and and an appreciation for what is a very important artifact of the 20th century.

Sure, there are collectors out there who will pay millions for a Patek Phillipe wristwatch, mainly because of its artistry, precious metals, and exclusivity. But you can't call a Patek as nearly as historically important as that early Leica.

But, yes, I take the original poster's point, that the high price paid will have someone, somewhere, in some dingy workshop, turning old screw mounts into faux null-series. Of course, the counterfeiter won't be trying to get millions for the fakes. A few thousand bucks will do to sell it to some greedy guy who figures he's going to make a killing ... until the expert points out the truth.

Sad thing is, some genuinely nice old Leicas might get chewed up in the process.

03-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Paying oodles of money for a historically significant Leica I understand. Paying oodles of money for a glow in the dark digital leica I do not understand...

Leica reveals matte black M Monochrom 'Stealth Edition' with glow-in-the-dark markings: Digital Photography Review

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
But, yes, I take the original poster's point, that the high price paid will have someone, somewhere, in some dingy workshop, turning old screw mounts into faux null-series.
To be fair, counterfeiting early and screw-mount Leica's has been going on for as long as they have existed, and has become something of a historical quirk in it's own right. There are literally whole websites dedicated to the topic. I don't think this sale is going to make any difference.
03-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some Russian counterfeits are now worth more than Leicas they intend to copy.
I read recently about a Leica that was transformed into a Soviet Fed model (which was itself a Leica copy).

Chris
03-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Some Russian counterfeits are now worth more than Leicas they intend to copy.
I read recently about a Leica that was transformed into a Soviet Fed model (which was itself a Leica copy).

Chris
Counterfeiting Russian stuff seems to be a growth industry...

Counterfeit Russian art throws a shadow over the Ghent museum