Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Locked up shutter on Yashica Electro TL

Hey all - this is a long shot, but I thought I’d put it out there.

I’ve been putting a roll of film through a Yashica Electro TL that I picked up about six months ago. I bought it for the lens that was on it, so not a lot invested ... anyway, I was advancing the film today when the advance lever stopped about halfway. It appears the mechanical shutter has locked up at half-cock, and I can’t figure out how to free it up. (I pulled the film out, so it’s not that - I can see the shutter is stuck; it tries to move when I put pressure on the lever, but it won’t.)

Any ideas? Just thought I’d ask before I give up and junk it.

03-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried pushing the film rewind button on the bottom of the camera? Sometimes the frame counter on film cameras can think they're at the end of a roll of film even when they're not. It can cause the film advance to stop working.
03-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Have you tried pushing the film rewind button on the bottom of the camera? Sometimes the frame counter on film cameras can think they're at the end of a roll of film even when they're not. It can cause the film advance to stop working.
No luck there, unfortunately. Thanks for the idea though.
03-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dang. The only other thing I can think of that might be an easy fix is that sometimes cameras can tear out a sprocket hole. The little piece of film can sometimes lodge in the track of the shutter and cause it to jam.

03-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you consider the camera to be junk and no one else offers better advice, then you have nothing left to lose in trying:

1. Percussive maintenance: slapping the camera against the palm of your hand or a book might jar-loose whatever is stuck. Banging the camera on the left, right, front, or top might fix it.

2. Remove the bottom plate and look for something jammed in the mechanism (easily removed to fix it) or evidence of a broken parts (harder to fix).

Good luck!
03-25-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A moment of silence for the Yashica. After trying percussive maintenance and taking off the bottom plate, I attempted to force the film winder and ended up with a film winder that works, but a shutter that doesn’t. Time to send the Yashica off to the great camera graveyard in the sky.
03-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's too bad.

But it does not have to go to the junk yard yet. I'm sure someone would gladly pay for shipping to get the camera as a source of spare parts.

03-26-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
That's too bad.

But it does not have to go to the junk yard yet. I'm sure someone would gladly pay for shipping to get the camera as a source of spare parts.
Good thought!
08-04-2022, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #9

Percusive Maintenance

OMG. I had already tossed the camera body in the trash, I read the recomendation for "percusive maintenence" and "what is there to loose". I whacked it on my hand, there will be a bruise. The auto timer started whiring and the mirror came down. Film advances, the shutter fires, life is good. I drink to your health. Be well.