Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2018, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Im speechless kmount with fuji medium format

Ok so I'm really not sure where this belongs, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section on this topic because it crosses different topics Pentax lenses, medium format, mirrorless, and Fuji.

The backstory:

So I decided to trade in my K-1 and almost all of my k-mount lenses except for the FA43 limited. I know, I know how could I do something like that? Well I wasn't doing the k-1 any justice by having it collect dust, and at heart although I loved the camera for the quality it brought, and boy were the images spectacular, My heart wasn't fully committed to full frame and especially to the 2:3 aspect ratio. So with the funds from selling the gear, and the deals that were going on I was able to pick up a Fuji GFX for next to nothing. I liked the feel of the body, the lenses have weather sealing, I like the Jpeg output, and the other part is adapting many different lenses( besides medium format lenses, you can also adapt full frame lenses)... now although I'm rambling I'm working towards something.

yes I did say full frame lenses, and outside of native glass most people go for canon and Nikon glass, pentax has many amazing lenses as well. case in point the FA 43 limited. Now I don't know where pentax got its black magic from, or why I'm creating a frankencamera, part Fuji GFX medium format part pentax, but this lens is truly amazing.... really...

Here is the second shot I had with the camera wide open at f1.9, JPEG, No cropping or corrections, although I'm not one to have such a shallow depth of field I was curious on the coverage and well no disappointment from the setup, and I get my native 4:3 aspect ratio.

Makes me wonder what also works from pentax?

04-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a crop mode for full frame on the Fuji or is it simple applied in post? Does the 43 provide much beyond full frame coverage or just a 4:3 ratio from the same image circle?
04-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is pretty significant vignetting there, but it looks at least useable. It would be interesting to see more shots before making a call on how useful
04-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is there a crop mode for full frame on the Fuji
A recent firmware update provided crop mode on the GFX,around 30 mp from memory(but my memory may not be accurate).However, like some DA lenses covering the FF of the K-1,theres some FF lenses that will cover the Fuji sensor.Its only 70% larger than FF.

The New Fuji GFX 50R is rumoured to be priced around the cost of a D850 with grip/xtra charger/xtra battery.So in effect you get 51mp MF and a useable FF.Theres no AF adapter that i know of for Pentax glass(a few for CaNik though).

---------- Post added 04-18-18 at 04:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Makes me wonder what also works from pentax?
If you have the latest firmware all the Pentax FF glass should work in the GFX crop mode,and some(trial and error) in MF mode.

Last edited by surfar; 04-17-2018 at 10:47 PM.
04-17-2018, 11:14 PM   #5

there was a matt granger video showing the otus 85mm covering the hasselblad MF sensor pretty well.
04-17-2018, 11:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
There is pretty significant vignetting there, but it looks at least useable. It would be interesting to see more shots before making a call on how useful

Yeah there is, but nothing that cant be corrected in post

Ill be putting it through its paces when i get a chance this weekend when i get to go to disneyland. I also might see if the california poppies are in blume on my drive back to northern california.

---------- Post added 04-17-18 at 11:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is there a crop mode for full frame on the Fuji or is it simple applied in post? Does the 43 provide much beyond full frame coverage or just a 4:3 ratio from the same image circle?

They have a new firmware update with full 35mode, something which i need to update the firmware. Also they have other aspect ratios 16:9, etc as you would expect from mirrorless.

as far as the 43 goes, this was done without any cropping at all so except for minor vignetting, it fits the 44x33 sensor(still need to check the pixel count). From what i hear as well, the 77 limited is the same way, which might be a while before i get my hands on one of those to try, butbif it is anything like the 43, will be a pleasure to shoot with.

---------- Post added 04-17-18 at 11:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AtitG Quote
there was a matt granger video showing the otus 85mm covering the hasselblad MF sensor pretty well.

Ill need to check it out, there are plenty of canikon lenses that work with aperature and autofocus control and that cover the full sensor. I think its laowa that has a distortion correction adapter for full function of canon/nikon lenses?
04-18-2018, 06:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

What I want to know is, how does one get the GFX for next to nothing?

Also, does the vignetting get worse when stopping down?

04-18-2018, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I've been trying to get a 645D for next to nothing for years now. And I've got the nothing.
04-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

Also, does the vignetting get worse when stopping down?

Sell a kidney?

Im not sure, ill need to try it at different aperatures.

---------- Post added 04-18-18 at 07:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've been trying to get a 645D for next to nothing for years now. And I've got the nothing.

Its getting closer, almost the same cost of a k-1
04-26-2018, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still trying to feel out this camera, figure out how the shadows/highlights/midtones behave. I find myself loving the pentax lens on this camera, even over the Fuji lens in the same focal length. I would like to try and compare how the pentax 645 45 vs the Fuji 45 compares, but I don't have one. now onto the pentax 43mm on the gfx.

Too the most part there is vignetting going on, but depending on the circumstances its either hard to tell or goes well with the photo. There were some photos that had non, but I was stopped down to 5.6-8 (somewhere in that area). Now if it wasn't for me being lazy with focusing, I think I would take this lens over the native gf 45mm lens. I like the out of focus better with this lens, also it has a little more character. The GF45 although a great lens, can be a little too sharp/sterile at times but I guess that is what we get with newer lenses?

oh and except for the pano of the castle these are all unedited.
04-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Pardon my ignorance but what adapter allows a ff Pentax lens to a medium format?
04-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im speechless kmount with fuji medium format

There are a couple different ones, the one that i use is made by kipon. Its a pretty solid dumb adapter. No movement, locks solidly into place, no real complaints. I guess there are others, even allowing full usage of canon lenses, but have no interest in them. Techchart, novoflex, cambo, k&f concept, fotodiox, and many more. Also there is a lot of 35 mm lenses that fit the image circle with none or very minimal vignetting(such as the fa 43mm). Even then just like crop mode on the k-1, fuji includes a 35mm crop mode for their gfx so you can put full frame lenses on the body from different manufacturers. Its especially useful for those that want a shallower depth of field, say below what you would get with 2.0. I guess thats one benefit of not deally with a mirror, shorter flange distances, would be great on the 645z but it just wouldnt work, granted the z has benefits that that the GFX does not have.
04-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Cool. I guess I assumed that the image circle from a FF lens wouldn't fit a medium format. Kinda like going apsc to FF.
04-30-2018, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am a longtime Pentax shooter that bought a GFX from a forum member last fall. I have (I am guessing) the same Kipon adapter the OP mentioned. I have tested over 50 K mount and m42 mount lenses and many of them work surprisingly well. Many primes between about 28mm and 150mm will cover the “full” G medium format frame. It’s a lot like using the APS-C DA lenses on the K-1.

Now, to be clear, the corners are often less-than-sharp with some vignette. But if you’re not shooting something where your extreme corners need to be sharp you would never notice. I’ve also started using A-series 645 and 6x7 lenses, which of course fully cover the sensor. The biggest surprise was that the FA* 24mm f2 actually did pretty well (again, with appropriate expectations concerning extreme corners) and that works out to be about a 19mm f1.6 equivalent. My most used lenses adapted this way are the three amigos: 31mm f1.8 (24mm f1.4,) 43mm f1.9 (34mm f1.5,) & 77mm f1.8 (61mm f1.4.)

I have installed the new firmware with the crop mode but haven’t used it yet. I will mostly stick to cropping in post if needed.
04-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
I have tested over 50 K mount and m42 mount lenses and many of them work surprisingly well.
Very good,when the next version of Fuji MF comes late this year i may be doing that too.